Advice please: 7-ply all-wood blade for my son

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hi All,

I'm planning to get a 7-ply all-wood blade as a gift for my son and would be grateful for some advice please.

He currently plays with a Xiom Offensive S and is looking for a step up from that in power, but he doesn't like the feel of blades with any synthetic fibres (eg. carbon, ALC, etc.). So, a 7-ply all-wood it needs to be.

I've read lots of reviews and have shortlisted these five:
  1. Butterfly Korbel SK7
  2. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (Blue)
  3. Tibhar Dynamic J7
  4. Yasaka Falck W7
  5. Joola Xylo 7
Questions:
  1. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds to me like (1) and (2) above are pretty much the same blade under different brand names and, likewise, that (3) and (4) above are also very similar. Is this accurate?
  2. The Xylo 7 is the one that might be different to the other four in that, based on reviews, it seems more powerful. Is this true? I've ruled out the Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition because I think it'll be too powerful, so if the Xylo 7 is as fast as the SFPBE then that would also rule it out.
More generally, if anybody has played with more than one of these it would be great to hear how they compare. Also, it would be really helpful if anyone can comment on handle-sizes (in 'straight' or 'anatomical' shape) as my son has big hands. I've heard the Samsonov Force Pro Blue has a small/thin handle - if that's true then that rules it out.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Tuga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
SK7 is great, Force Pro BLACK is great too (I don't like the softer/slower Blue version), heard good things about Falck but never tried it.

A nice objective comparison of many 7-ply blades https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/samsonov-force-pro-black-edition-vs-some-7-ply-wood-blades-comparison/

And a more subjective one https://blog.tabletennis11.com/review-four-7-ply-all-wood-blades

Thanks Tipiak! It sounds like you're saying that the SK7 is more powerful than the SFP Blue - is that right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Thanks Tipiak! It sounds like you're saying that the SK7 is more powerful than the SFP Blue - is that right?

More "powerful" I don't know, but it feels more solid, and more rigid to me. Since I play with short-pips I like the solid and the rigid feel… But I guess that one might make proper use of the flex of the SFP Blue in another style of play… (though then I'd rather play a 5-ply all-wood blade ^^)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Look for thickness. Too thick and it will be harder to loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I have both SAmsonov, Blue and Black and find them equally fast. They differ in feeling - the black being stiffer/harder and the blue is easier to spin the ball with. Both have pretty big handles.
Persson Powerplay is quite popular among the advancing kids around here

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I like the Clipper and I cannot lie, but I have no first-hand experience with OP"s selection. I also like the Samsonov Force Pro.

Other 7-ply blades that I've liked are the Andro Gauzy SL OFF (which is a bit faster than the Clipper imho) and the DHS Power G7.

However, OP made a "big hands" remark. A comfortable handle is important, and as all blades mentioned are full of merit and can be adapted to, that aspect is probably key. Select the blade that feels right in the hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbtitco
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Manto,

Another thing is to get with one of the custom blade makers and get the composition AND handle AND balance how you want it... that will NOT cost you as much as many mainstream popular blades.

Having the shape, thickness, and length of handle to go with the balance is SO UNDER THE RADAR with people it blows my mind it is so important, and people neglect these important things.

+1 to the person(s) who said how the blade feels in your hand is important... it is UBER important.

The custom blade makers can do it at a very reasonable price to your specs... a service you would NEVER get at a retailer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I currently play with the Xylo 7. Can't compare it to the other blades from the list but I can say that the FL handle feels very comfortable. Got the same opinion from a couple of people who were interested in trying my racket - the first thing they said was about the handle, and I feel so too. I have previous experience with FL handles of some Chinese manufacturers (Sanwei, Yinhe, Kokutaku) and others (Yasaka most recently) and for me the Xylo 7's handle is the most comfortable.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Manto,

Another thing is to get with one of the custom blade makers and get the composition AND handle AND balance how you want it... that will NOT cost you as much as many mainstream popular blades.

Having the shape, thickness, and length of handle to go with the balance is SO UNDER THE RADAR with people it blows my mind it is so important, and people neglect these important things.

+1 to the person(s) who said how the blade feels in your hand is important... it is UBER important.

The custom blade makers can do it at a very reasonable price to your specs... a service you would NEVER get at a retailer.
Speaking of customisation, I wanted to feel how Kim Taek Soo feel when he hits a ball at full power. Problem is there is no commercially available 10.5mm thick one-ply full Hinoki shakehand grip in the market. I had to order a custom made blade. Some people called me crazy for ordering a super thick blade where I'll need to further glue on two pieces of max thickness rubber.
Looks who is laughing now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Manto,

+1 for handle and balance. Overall feeling i.e. do I like strong or minimal vibrations at my index finger or at my palm or both are also important. That's also something TTGear Lab is measuring.
https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/classic-5-ply-wood-blades-comparison/
vs.
https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/201...edition-vs-some-7-ply-wood-blades-comparison/
or
https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/2019/02/18/dhs-hurricane-long-5-3-overview-lab-test/
A Donic Original/Ovtcharov Senso V1 or Hurricane Long 5 would be closer in terms of feeling and flex/elasticity to a Korbel than e.g. a Force Pro Black Edition. Afaik the Offensive S is quite similar to the Bty Korbel.

And something else that is often overlooked is that "The wood has just a small influence on T_Par. For the submaximum topspin condition T_Par was measured on the defensive wood 0.43 (E_Par = 0.61) and on the Hinoki wood 0.42 (E_Par = 0.63). The covering influences a lot" 1)
E_Par = coefficient of restitution, speed on flat hits
T_Par = "is responsible for the ability to produce spin and tangential velocity"

Offensive S + faster rubbers could also be an option.

1) The Impact of the Table Tennis Ball on the Racket, Tiefenbacher, Durey, 1994,
https://sasportssience.blob.core.wi...iles/IJTTS_2_1_14_Tiefenbacher_The Impact.pdf

Reactions: rbtitco
Mar 2021
Hi All,

I'm planning to get a 7-ply all-wood blade as a gift for my son and would be grateful for some advice please.

He currently plays with a Xiom Offensive S and is looking for a step up from that in power, but he doesn't like the feel of blades with any synthetic fibres (eg. carbon, ALC, etc.). So, a 7-ply all-wood it needs to be.

I've read lots of reviews and have shortlisted these five:
  1. Butterfly Korbel SK7
  2. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (Blue)
  3. Tibhar Dynamic J7
  4. Yasaka Falck W7
  5. Joola Xylo 7
Questions:
  1. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds to me like (1) and (2) above are pretty much the same blade under different brand names and, likewise, that (3) and (4) above are also very similar. Is this accurate?
  2. The Xylo 7 is the one that might be different to the other four in that, based on reviews, it seems more powerful. Is this true? I've ruled out the Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition because I think it'll be too powerful, so if the Xylo 7 is as fast as the SFPBE then that would also rule it out.
More generally, if anybody has played with more than one of these it would be great to hear how they compare. Also, it would be really helpful if anyone can comment on handle-sizes (in 'straight' or 'anatomical' shape) as my son has big hands. I've heard the Samsonov Force Pro Blue has a small/thin handle - if that's true then that rules it out.

Thanks in advance!
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive 7-ply Wood. It has the wood feelin and yet still give enough ommph! power.

p/s My club-mate defacto blade for many years and I have got chance to play with it on and off. He paired it with Rakza X & 7 Fh & BH respectively.