What hardness would Butterfly rubbers be on ESN scale?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why is it that Dignics 05 is often considered a great BH rubber, but 50 degree ESN rubbers are considered by some to be too hard for BH?

Its all relative to the user
Any one who can use D05 is a pretty decent level.
I use 48 on backhand, and thinking to go 50/53 as the new 47.5/48 to me are too soft.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Which BH rubber do you use and which rubber are you thinking of changing to?

Right now, I'm using Stiga DNA Pro H
for my spare racket, I got a pink rubber, Xiom Vega X (they had no stock of V47.5 pink that time), and Vega X was way too soft for me.

new rubbers - i'm not sure, not thinking of getting anything yet. Since my bat is now only a sparing partner bat/multiball feeder.

I did think of the Green Aruna rubber, 53 one.
V47.5 pink, but i'm worried it is too soft
or will just go for DNA Platinum XH or H

I also thought of T05H but then the above I can get for free or cost price, Butterfly I need to buy
But then, I don't like to waste, so I might just hang on to my "bruised" DNA Pro H even longer

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Why is it that Dignics 05 is often considered a great BH rubber, but 50 degree ESN rubbers are considered by some to be too hard for BH?

Because Dignics has the Butterfly brand on it? :> Seriously though, many people forget the topsheet's (which could be close to as thick as the sponge) contribution to the feel of a rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I think actually the 40 degree Dignics sponge is about 53 degree in ESN. The Rasanter R53 was a direct competitor to D05 and it is a great rubber(even for bh) until the factory boost evaporates. D09c sounds like it's so hard with 44 degree sponge but in reality it's only a little harder than D05. D09c topsheet is very supple.

Most 47-48 degree ESN rubbers feel softer than Tenergy 05. MX-P, Victas V15 extra, Gewo Nexxus 48 for sure feels softer. It would be better if all the sponges and topsheet were measured by the same equipment. Different equipment with same measured value will feel differently during play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well I was under the impression that FH rubber should be hard, so that it doesnt bottom out easily.

And BH should be firm but softer than FH side to give more forgiveness since you cant hit BH as hard.

Is this still a valid philosophy? In that case, should esn 50 rubbers be avoided on BH generally speaking?

This user has no status.

Emrathich (PingSunday.com) said you'd typically want a backhand rubber 3-degrees softer than your forehand rubber. Top Chinese players frequently use H3 (very hard) on forehand, and Tenergy 05 on backhand, although some are switching to a softer (~37 degree) sticky Chinese rubber on BH.

The blade makes a big difference too. A more flexible blade works well with harder rubbers, because you get more spin from the blade flexing. So an Acoustic (5-ply wood) with D09C on FH, and D05 on BH may generate more spin than than a hard carbon blade with T05 on both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Emrathich (PingSunday.com) said you'd typically want a backhand rubber 3-degrees softer than your forehand rubber. Top Chinese players frequently use H3 (very hard) on forehand, and Tenergy 05 on backhand, although some are switching to a softer (~37 degree) sticky Chinese rubber on BH.

The blade makes a big difference too. A more flexible blade works well with harder rubbers, because you get more spin from the blade flexing. So an Acoustic (5-ply wood) with D09C on FH, and D05 on BH may generate more spin than than a hard carbon blade with T05 on both sides.

I’m pretty sure that the 37 deg Chinese rubber is still harder than T05

This user has no status.

you mean the Gewo Super Select from Quadri Aruna?the Topsheet is quite on high Tension,so it feels way harder than the sponge density suggest.
Only teste the SS 45 but it felt Harder compostion wise than a Normal 45 Rubber with a softer Topshet.
I would guess the c53 play quite hard.
But only tested the ss 45 on a custum Balsa Bat from Re-Impact,and only for a few balls.
But the Intitial Gut feeling was,"this can´t be a 45 degree rubber".

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
The rule of thumb says as follows
-- The ESN scale will always differ from Butterfly's by 9 - 10 units if applied on the same sponge/ ESN scale is to give you a higher value of hardness/

Be happy

NOTE: ESN factory using the Shore-O dial, Japanese factories all using durometer with Shore-A dial

[size=+2]ESN sponge marked as having hardness 50* is corresponding to 41* on Butterfly scale.[/size]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
According to my ResearchButterfly uses Shore A
ESN uses Shore O
There are conversion charts for Shore A to Shore O, so that gives the following results:

Tenergy 05 FX = 32 Shore A , 42/43 ESN
Tenergy 05 = 36 Shore A , 47/48 ESN
Dignics = 40 Shore A , 51/52 ESN
Tenergy Hard = 43 Shore A , 56 ESN
Dignics 09c = 44 Shore A,57 ESN

2022%2008%2030%2013%2057%2000%20Sponge%20Hardness%20Table%20Reviews%20articles%20and%20Guide%20on%20Table%20Tennis%20Table%20Tenn%20png.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
According to my ResearchButterfly uses Shore A
ESN uses Shore O
There are conversion charts for Shore A to Shore O, so that gives the following results:

Tenergy 05 FX = 32 Shore A , 42/43 ESN
Tenergy 05 = 36 Shore A , 47/48 ESN
Dignics = 40 Shore A , 51/52 ESN
Tenergy Hard = 43 Shore A , 56 ESN
Dignics 09c = 44 Shore A,57 ESN
Never played with Tenergy 05 Hard or Dignics 09C so can't compare myself but if Butterfly uses Shore A than both 05H and 09C would have a harder sponge than any (officially) available Hurricane 3. DHS also uses Shore A.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Are porous rubber hardness directly comparable to dense sponge hardness?

For example, dignics is said to be 40 on Shore A. But a 40 degree Hurricane feels way harder to hit with, and is way harder to push down with your finger.

Reactions: jammmail