TT brands introducing new series too fast, hard to understand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Maybe it’s just my super cynical mind, but I don’t see any company releasing new equipment with anything other than “profit” in mind.

Butterfly are probably the worst for this,

Most new “technological breakthroughs” are just another way of doing the same old thing in a pretty new package.

Sure, there is the odd genuine improvement every now and then….. But look at the blades for example.

ALC still rules supreme, despite all of these “better” carbon blades that have been developed.

Rubbers are a little different, but is Dignics really much better than tenergy? No, not really.

Sure it has some advantages, but it also has disadvantages.

Yet Butterfly know they’ll sell the latest and greatest rubber for a premium, and people will buy it without a question.

Companies are here to make money.

I agree that on blades, butterfly is a way overboard on chasing profits. Too many variants of the same blade.

But actually they dont have so many rubbers. Basically their flagship rubber is dignics, and they have 09c to fill a specific gap in the portfolio.

I dont know what gap jekyl hyde fills.
I dont quite get why donic has bluestorm and bluefire.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Maybe it’s just my super cynical mind, but I don’t see any company releasing new equipment with anything other than “profit” in mind.

Butterfly are probably the worst for this,

Most new “technological breakthroughs” are just another way of doing the same old thing in a pretty new package.

Sure, there is the odd genuine improvement every now and then….. But look at the blades for example.

ALC still rules supreme, despite all of these “better” carbon blades that have been developed.

Rubbers are a little different, but is Dignics really much better than tenergy? No, not really.

Sure it has some advantages, but it also has disadvantages.

Yet Butterfly know they’ll sell the latest and greatest rubber for a premium, and people will buy it without a question.

Companies are here to make money.

The most profitable is Butterfly
launch 1 product and it can last for 10 years
break even is like year 2 already, so the rest is pure profit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Oh man. I wouldve loved to get those rubbers off you to try out instead of going to the trash bin.

Just curious what rubbers were you testing that got thrown away?

I don't quite remember, most of those were just the normal rubbers you see but stayed on the blade for too long and the glue got really hard to remove, so I can't be bothered and throw them away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

well you can say that about every Tensor or Bios that came after the first generation.

The generations still differ... money is spent to make it different.
No matter how much different, we are talking about the same T05 10 years ago vs now. The only difference was the logo rebranding

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have noticed there is a difference between TT players on forum and in clubs. The ones that play in clubs will play with a rubber until it is pretty much worn out. They don't talk about things they really know nothing about. They just play. They don't change rubbers every other day like some on this forum tend to do.

I can assure you that the coefficient of restitution for normal inverted rubbers is a small range. The "hardness" may very a little more.
I would bet that most could not tell the difference between many rubbers in a blind test. They are too similar.

So many of you are suckers and believe all the non-sense the TT manufactures say. Also, the TT manufacturers read TT forums like this and amplify the non-sense that you guys talk about.

BTW, why is D09 better than T05? Can anybody explain this? Anybody? I know both can generate the same impulse and therefore the same trajectory.

So Michael Zhang, keep supporting the TT manufacturers so we don't have to but you really should be spending money on something else that has a return on investment.

BTW, don't throw away rubbers that have only been "tested"!!! Yogi teaches children. I saw one of his posts years back and he uses donated rubbers to cover paddles for kid.
I have left usable paddles and rubber at the club and someone takes them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have noticed there is a difference between TT players on forum and in clubs. The ones that play in clubs will play with a rubber until it is pretty much worn out. They don't talk about things they really know nothing about. They just play. They don't change rubbers every other day like some on this forum tend to do.

I can assure you that the coefficient of restitution for normal inverted rubbers is a small range. The "hardness" may very a little more.
I would bet that most could not tell the difference between many rubbers in a blind test. They are too similar.

So many of you are suckers and believe all the non-sense the TT manufactures say. Also, the TT manufacturers read TT forums like this and amplify the non-sense that you guys talk about.

BTW, why is D09 better than T05? Can anybody explain this? Anybody? I know both can generate the same impulse and therefore the same trajectory.

So Michael Zhang, keep supporting the TT manufacturers so we don't have to but you really should be spending money on something else that has a return on investment.

BTW, don't throw away rubbers that have only been "tested"!!! Yogi teaches children. I saw one of his posts years back and he uses donated rubbers to cover paddles for kid.
I have left usable paddles and rubber at the club and someone takes them.

I agree that there are a few members who tests way too much equipment and still trying to find the true excalibur... but have yet to see evidence of coaching/coaches.

However, I'm not sure how many people is in your club. But I have a shop, I sell to hundreds of "club" members in South Africa on an annual basis.
Some of them are coaches who help spec bats for kids etc, so that hundred could be over a thousand consumers.

I would never call them suckers.
Each and every consumer may have they own choice (and this could be from experience, trying out others, reading forums, or what ever it could be) and it is not my role to be telling them otherwise. Unless it is a total beginner and wanting to buy the most expensive (which is also the faster) setup I can sell. One of my sponsored players (7 time womens champ) has that 1 client and bought 2 different expensive setup, he (adult student) wouldn't listen to her and a month later I supplied another 2 more user friendly setups. Some people just need to learn the hard way.

I do have a few of them that are high level and could do a blind test. I get samples in and get them to test it for me, as I am very busy to do all this myself.
So, it all depends where you are at. If you are like Lodro, who says he is in a rural/outskirt in a 3rd world TT country, then maybe it is difficult to expect high level equipment experts..
SA's playing level is pretty low for my liking, but still good enough to have player to play in the Belgium, French leagues (1st div and regional respectively)

and yeah - don't throw away rubbers. keep them together and send them to South Africa.

Kids go to TT clubs on Saturdays, not just because of sport, but also for that 1 meal - lunch provided by the coach who doesn't charge and does everything out of his/her own pocket. It could be the only meal the kid has that day too.

I've shown a senior Stiga director this in person. Clubs in gangster areas, where some times they can't come to practice, because of tension in the neigborhood. S
howing him the kids that have already done crime and are still cadet age. Showing him those that went through all the bad, and actually made it to world junior champs and actually getting a scholarship to get a uni degree (first in the family) and now working full time.

Mr director sent me 300 or so bats for me to do what ever I want with it..
Any other businessmen could add it in stock, and say sell it for 10usd each. That is 3000usd pure profit. Not me. I hand deliver to many of those clubs that actually do a great deal of humanitarian work and table tennis is just a tool that they use to carry out such work.

So by all means, test out new equipment and do think of kids you can help out in the tough part of South Africa

NDH

says Spin to win!
There has been many comments on this already (I’ve already made a few myself).

“Better” is subjective in this context, but I personally believe D09c is better than T05 for a number of reasons.

1. it’s less responsive to spin, so a wider range of players can take advantage of it.

2. It’s significantly less “bouncy” which aids the touch shots around the net.

3. it’s more controllable (which is really just another way of phrasing points 1 and 2….. )

4. it’s spin potential is greater when attacking - Spin is the real killer at high levels, not speed (because all good players could hit fast attacking loops with a defensive rubber and blade anyway).

5. I’ve found the durability of the rubber to be greater thanT05.

The 2 main downsides I’d say are……

1. It’s simply less fun. You don’t get the explosive qualities as much compared with T05.

2. Cost.

But D09c is by far a greater rubber for “more”’abilities -
Intermediate players will be able to handle it, and top players will get the most out of it.

With T05, intermediate players were pretty rubbish if I’m honest - Often lacking control and the attacking ability to make the most of what is a very bouncy rubber.

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Why bother? Just buy the one fits your budget or google search top selling blades and check which do you think will suit you best. End of the day it's your technique that put the ball onto the opponent table, not the blade.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Regarding to what the J&H series are supposed to deliver their marketing is pretty clear. The omega series was their top of the line regarding speed and spin, but harder to control close over the table in the short game. The J&H series should improve the short game immensely, but still keep a good amount of speed.
They also try to keep two usually mutually exclusive things together in one rubber: low through on drives and high throw on tangential/spin loops.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk

Reactions: kindof99 and longle