Is Hurricane 3 actually the "spinniest" rubber or is it just misperception?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
There seems to be the idea that tacky rubbers are the spinniest and even with the advent of hybrid rubbers that are tacky, that Hurricane 3 is still the king of spin.I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I am assuming how spinny a rubber is has to to with how well it can grab on the ball and not have slip it on the rubber and being able to reverse the spin and add to it at the point of impact. Is it possible modern hybrid rubbers are as spinny as H3 but because hybrid rubbers are faster than H3 and changes the speed spin ratio even though the number of revolutions per minutes is the same, it seems H3 is spinnier? Has anyone done any tests with a high speed camera to see what is up?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Generating spin on an object is just applying force not going through the CG,
Zeio used the term eccentric. This is a good term that describes what you just said more succinctly.

so there are two things that matters: how big the force is, and how long the force is applied to the object.
YES! Force x time is an impulse. Since force varies over the contact time is it better to say the integral or sum of force over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

I've only played with the commercial version of H3 Neo, so my observations may not apply to other versions (ie. Provincial, National, boosted non-Neo, etc.). So, with that limitation in mind, my observations are that H3 Neo produces more spin than anything else IF you beat the living daylights out of the shot!

In other words, if you're able to connect your shots at elite-level swing-speed with elite-level technique, then I don't think anything else matches H3.

However, for everyone else, I think you can - on average - probably get at least as much spin out of any of the modern hybrids and most of the top modern tensors.

What do I mean by "on average?" I mean you'll get higher spin across a greater range of your shots: the good, the bad, and the ugly ones. You may still get higher spin out of H3 from time-to-time (ie. on your very best-executed shots). But, "on average" I think other rubbers will serve many players better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Zeio used the term eccentric. This is a good term that describes what you just said more succinctly.

YES! Force x time is an impulse. Since force varies over the contact time is it better to say the integral or sum of force over time.

Man, I really don't want to review my calculus lol. It was fun getting all A+ in college but since I don't use them on a daily basis I can barely remember how to work on those now 😂

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
H3 is very spinny, but I'm not sure if it truly is spinnier than other high quality tacky rubbers. Battle 2, Target National come to mind as other tacky/spinny rubbers. Is H3 actually noticeably spinnier than those? For me, probably not.

Maybe a higher level forum player who has tried 2 or 3 other tacky rubbers can answer your question.

My opinion is that H3 is S class in spin, but maybe some other tacky rubbers are also S class. Maybe the more important reason top players use H3 is because it allows the most layers of booster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Well. I think it's like Duke says, and what is perfect for your speed and power is very individual. But I've tried a lot of tacky rubbers, mostly Chinese, and H3 with a hard sponge and some booster layers fits my strokes the best. And the blade of course. Quite fast Yinhe V14 Pro ALC blade is what I always come back to. H3 is the rubber that I have been able to create the most spinny serves and loops with.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Subjectively speaking, compared to grippy rubber, tacky rubber in general allows the user to hit much harder without fear of missing. [Quote 1]

Empirically speaking, H3 allows the user to put the right combination of speed and spin on the ball that manifests in argubaly the trickiest/quirkiest trajectory among most, if not all, tacky rubbers. [Quote 2 and 3]

It's all but certain that H3, like most, if not all, tacky rubbers, returns less spin on passive shots. It's also not necessarily true that tacky rubbers generate more spin on active shots. However, it's still a toss-up if the latter also applies to H3, simply because I have yet to come across a study that tests an H3 with a golf swing robot. [Quote 4 and 5]

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...e=myth-tacky-rubbers-produce-more-spin#340403
sidofmillenium said:
yeah, I have noticed that they give more spin in pushes as well...but the thing is, we never hit as hard w/ euro rubbers b/c we'll miss....so they r never same stroke...therefore, comparison through experience is not possible....we'll have to take scientific approach...

https://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/spinpatterns.php
A heavy ball is the right combination of spin and speed.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...a-sneak-peak-of-glayzer-yet.30820/post-402440
The same idea applies to DHS. Hurricane is the industry standard in tacky rubber. What's so special about it, despite being decades old now?

One aspect of H3 that is often overlooked in the West is the keyword "贼". The closest English equivalent I can think of is tricky, or 癖/quirky as described by Table Tennis Kingdom...

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/tackiness-versus-grippiness.26131/post-355816
Scenario 1. Grippy rubber is better for returning spin.
Scenario 2. Tacky rubber is better for generating spin once the force gets past a certain threshold. Put another way, tacky rubber has higher spin potential. If a player does not hit hard enough, tacky rubber will spin less than grippy rubber.

Scenario 1 is demonstrated in many studies where a robot shoots a topspin ball at a stationary racket, simulating the block stroke in real play. However, that does not carry over to Scenario 2 because a ball carries much less momentum than a racket does in real play...

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/tackiness-versus-grippiness.26131/post-356188
Then again, as I pointed out in my first post, the angular momentum of a spinning ball is just much lower than a swinging racket to overcome the tack and harder sponge, it's only natural for the CoF of tacky rubbers to be lower in that scenario. We need an experiment that tests with a swinging racket.

Sumitomo, the manufacturer behind the Mizuno Q series, has published experimental data on both inverted(tacky and grippy) and shortpips rubbers made with different formulas with a swinging racket. All topsheets were paired with the same sponge at 50° Asker C on a Senkoh Super 95 S, and swung at a stationary ball at 14m/s with a 60° racket angle. The friction force was measured by pulling 3 table tennis balls with a total load of 20N at 300mm/min on a rubber faced up horizontally. The data show that:
1. Despite the highest CoF, tacky topsheets made with different types of tackifier produced less spin than a grippy topsheet with a lower CoF made with practically the same formula.
2. With slightly different formulae, grippy topsheets with a substantially lower CoF could produce more spin than grippy topsheets with a higher CoF.
3. With slightly different formulae, shortpips with a substantially lower CoF could produce comparable spin as grippy topsheets with a higher CoF.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Welp. I think that saying that H3 is spinniest is a bit missleading. Looping away from table and serves, totally. I cannot generate same spin and power near the table though. Not enough fitness I guess.
Fitness/strength is indeed required to hit into the sponge of the H3. If you can do that, then the power coming from it, with the tacky topsheet in my books, is more spinnier than any Butterfly rubber.

The reliability to me is also better.
But H3 requires good experience from gluing and usage. With either, it won't make sense to the user.

Reactions: matzreenzi