Is MXP-50 too hard for backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
For topspin oriented players, would MXP 50 and other 50 degree ESN rubbers be too hard to use for backhand? or would it be kinda borderline, but still viable?

I know most players probably like the BH side in the 45-47 range.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
1. The golden answer is: It depends.

2. Are you able to use 50 on FH?

3. If not, why do you want use for BH?

4. Are you asking for yourself or as a general question for no one in particular.

5. If asking for yourself, refer to Q1 & Q2.

6, If asking for no one in particular, then refer to statement No. 1.

Happy Pongin'. Peace.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I'm asking mostly for myself. But assuming that I'm not an exception, I think the answer would be somewhat standard for most topspin oriented players.

I usually use DHS 40 degree on FH. So does that correspond to 53 ESN?

I like ESN 47 very much on BH, but not sure if 50 would be too much. I believe Dignics is 50 degree ESN, and I don't find it too hard at all. It feels excellent on BH. Would MXP 50 feel similar to Dignics?

Last edited:
Since you asked, For your level it’s waaay to hard.
Why torture yourself at this hardness you will loose more on soft hits than you gain on hard hits.To get spin you need to be fully committed with good acceleration…
You would be much better of with a softer rubber.

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Just a suggestion to Mike:

1. Do you have access to MX-P rubber? I'm sure you do coz or else you would not be thinking about it yes? A friend, perhaps, a club-mate maybe has it?
2. Use it on the BH side.
3. Video it and share it with us and we can better comment.

See, for a worthwhile conversation, it is as easy as 1-2-3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Just a suggestion to Mike:

1. Do you have access to MX-P rubber? I'm sure you do coz or else you would not be thinking about it yes? A friend, perhaps, a club-mate maybe has it?
2. Use it on the BH side.
3. Video it and share it with us and we can better comment.

See, for a worthwhile conversation, it is as easy as 1-2-3.

Ive hit with mxp and dignics on backhand many times. Its very comfortable for me. So assuming mxp 50 is the same level of forgiveness as dignics 05 or 80, then im sure i would like it on bh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ive read here and there than mxp 50 feels softer than 50 degree suggests. If true, i might be able to use it as well.

With Dignics 05, i would never even have guessed that it is 50 deg. I wouldve just though 48.

On the other hand, i recently tried nittaku hammond z2. That indeed felt noticeably stiffer. It was fun to hit with, but i might be a little worried about using it in match for the varations of shots needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ive read here and there than mxp 50 feels softer than 50 degree suggests. If true, i might be able to use it as well.

With Dignics 05, i would never even have guessed that it is 50 deg. I wouldve just though 48.

On the other hand, i recently tried nittaku hammond z2. That indeed felt noticeably stiffer. It was fun to hit with, but i might be a little worried about using it in match for the varations of shots needed.

Don't worry, one day you will find your excalibur

• Haha
Reactions: lodro