What is Joola Global Championship?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

So what ? It's bananas, because there's more than 1 000 people who have paid the registration fee, it's not like the WTT who pays millions of bucks for a handfull of top world players.

1000 X 349 bucks (the registration fee is between 499 and 399 for club players) and you get .... TADAAAAM 349 000 bucks !!! see what I said ? the EJs have already paid for 3 to 4 times more the prize money hahaha

https://joola.com/joola-brings-new-global-championships-tournament-to-florida/

"The regular entry fee for JOOLA Global Championships is $499, but several tiers of limited early bird deals are available. $399 club pricing is also available to members of JOOLA-sponsored table tennis clubs. This is a tournament you won’t want to miss out on."

Just providing correct information. They had to reduce the entry fee to $299 I think. 1,000+ players was what they were hoping for. Actual number of entries was 319 ( http://natabletennis.com/tournaments/listentries.php?tournament=1 ... Choose "2022 JOOLA Global Championships" from the drop down box ).

• Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
$95 531 😂

Question: did you see any Joola officials begging for money in Florida ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Come on be serious a minute, Joola is a company making profit, and I don't think there's a big difference here: what will be sold to the people in the audience coming to watch the tournament ? only Joola stuff, like the french championships sells Cornilleau stuff only.

I think their 212 teams already registering (registration pending) for .... 849$ each in November ! will do good with a lower prize money this time

212 * 849 ... 179 988 for 28 800 prize money LOL it's good money when you work at Joola hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Please: give ALL the informations first, not only the one that pleases your theory, sir.

Because now I think you know what I'll do: I will search for ALL the informations when someone gives me only the ones he likes... huhu

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Please: give ALL the informations first, not only the one that pleases your theory, sir.

Because now I think you know what I'll do: I will search for ALL the informations when someone gives me only the ones he likes... huhu

What in the world are you talking about? I'm simply correcting your incorrect post. This thread is called "What is Joola Global Championship" so I gave the information for that tournament. It was probably run at a loss ( a 4 day tournament at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center), but it may have been more important to build the brand. I do hope they succeed. I don't know their financials regarding the JOOLA Teams so I cannot comment on that. You do know prize money is just *one* of the costs of running these tournaments, right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
You don't correct anything: you try to make your subjective thought the truth by bringing only a portion of ALL the informations available, because that portion is the one you like.

It's not how it works sir: you woudln't do that if you had ethics.

OF COURSE THERE ARE COSTS TO ORGANIZE AN EVENT DUDE !! but it's largely compensated by all the EJs buying stuff, man.. I've been involved in sports event organization and music/dance festival events in my life even a world dance festival with dance companies coming from all over the world, from Russia, Hungary, Peru, India and so on in a 3 days week-end ! we had to pay for the companies accomodations, we had to pay for their salaries, we had to pay for their meals of course, we had to pay for the theater where the event took place, I know how it works, I know the difference between a small organization just trying to make ends meet and a sport event that costs way less: you pay for the arena, the umpires, and that's pretty much all ! and that's Joola, a big company, not a non profit organization like mine in the north of France begging for state subsidies, dealing with administrations like the local cultural affairs, etc... I KNOW WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT

I've corrected your thought in the other thread when you were backing Zhang's complain about the US TT economy. I proved you were wrong.

End of the discussion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I would imagine the tournament was run at a loss and not "profitable". One of our clubs registered umpires worked the tournament and his room, 3 meals a day and expenses were covered. And that extended to all the tournament staff. Gaylord Palms ain't cheap. Most players registered to play for the promo price which was $279, if I remember correctly.

Also, the previous week was a Joola Pickleball event. So, considering this was the 70 year Joola anniversary and they signed a multiyear contract for the event... My guess would be it was done to be promotional for Joola table tennis and pickleball.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think I have a chance to win the U1600 event or the U1400 event, or the U1200 event.

I'm fairly certain that I would win the U1000 event. But Florida is too far.

Hi MZ,

Thanks for making me laugh right when I waz trying to swallow some orange juice... now the stuff went down my lungs instead my throat, so it burned and poisoned my lungs, made me cough violently, so now the stuff is running out my nose stinging like crazy as snot trails like a bat outta you know where.

We have seen your videos. We know your approximate level. What you do NOT know is how it works in big USA tourneys. I wish I could get you to commit to a bet of even a small one, like betting lunch against me... my lunch tab can really run up there.

Yeah, you COULD be 1200-1600 on the East Coast of USA, which is an average USA player... but when you go to a big national tournament that has all these players registered who are vet warrior TOURNEY players... or even worse, the kids who were kept training for a few years, developed, then slowly allowed in tourneys, but competing only against similar ringer kids in the U400 division... until they are 1600-1800 then unleased in the next big national level tourney... then players of your level go 0-3 in group qualification and blow a fuse, then wonder if it waz ur rubber or blade.

One of the guys I train is pretty much your level, he would be 1200-1500 east coast level... he recently went to a small local tourney (but in a training center with dozens of these warrior kids) and he did not win any matches vs that crowd at all. He was ranked #2 in his division and lost all three of hiz matches. He felt really bad and embarrassed that he lost so bad and had a "bad" tourney, but this is the expected result given the circumstances he was in. He WILL, however, be doing much better sooner than anyone expects though.

THAT is how it goes in just the local California tourneys... and it is TEN TIMES more fierce in the larger 4 star national tourneys like Joola Championships, US Nationals, or US Open... or even LA Open.

Oh, then you got the pro ringers who keep their rating 400 points lower than their true level, then they register and win this tourney for the small cash prize of 100-300 USD in the lower divisions and the thrill of winning at a big tourney.

MZ, these are my observations and presentations of empirical evidence.

Maybe it is a good idea for me to make some threads like "What was I rated #1 and still lost ALL my USATT Tourney matches" or a similar thread.

Short of it is MZ that in any USA club that is not in the area of a junior warrior training center, you would be properly classified as 1200-1600 and compete in rural tourneys and get results pretty much in the lines of your level... but when you go to a California tourney or anywhere they have similar training going on, or a big national tourney, you will be in for a HUGE shocker.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey old user, I am pretty much with you in how you approach the reasoning of a larger organizer like Joola, you correctly point out that such an outfit isn't doing stuff for charity, but is motivated by gain of money. These orgs will NOT be in it if there is zero money to be made.

Way Zooted, who may occasionally wear a decked out Zoot Suit, has it closer to the mark I think. I really doubt Joola made much, if any profit from the TT tourney itself (including the paltry TT equipment sales) given the low turnout and high overhead, fixed and variable expenses, but likely was offset by the way more profitable pickleball tourneys and equipment sales AND the hope of future business that turns profitable.

I think Joola was willing to make the tourney big in hopes of making it big, but had other ways to make money too, just not from TT, but kept open the chance to make money down the line, kinda like an initial investment that is a capital loss early on.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey old user, I am pretty much with you in how you approach the reasoning of a larger organizer like Joola, you correctly point out that such an outfit isn't doing stuff for charity, but is motivated by gain of money. These orgs will NOT be in it if there is zero money to be made.

Way Zooted, who may occasionally wear a decked out Zoot Suit, has it closer to the mark I think. I really doubt Joola made much, if any profit from the TT tourney itself (including the paltry TT equipment sales) given the low turnout and high overhead, fixed and variable expenses, but likely was offset by the way more profitable pickleball tourneys and equipment sales AND the hope of future business that turns profitable.

I think Joola was willing to make the tourney big in hopes of making it big, but had other ways to make money too, just not from TT, but kept open the chance to make money down the line, kinda like an initial investment that is a capital loss early on.

I wish pics would show up the first time you post them all the time... woot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

What yo talkin bout Der_Echte? I play in my decked out Zoot Suit... I model my game (and style) after Marty Reisman! 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Hi MZ,

Thanks for making me laugh right when I waz trying to swallow some orange juice... now the stuff went down my lungs instead my throat, so it burned and poisoned my lungs, made me cough violently, so now the stuff is running out my nose stinging like crazy as snot trails like a bat outta you know where.

We have seen your videos. We know your approximate level. What you do NOT know is how it works in big USA tourneys. I wish I could get you to commit to a bet of even a small one, like betting lunch against me... my lunch tab can really run up there.

Yeah, you COULD be 1200-1600 on the East Coast of USA, which is an average USA player... but when you go to a big national tournament that has all these players registered who are vet warrior TOURNEY players... or even worse, the kids who were kept training for a few years, developed, then slowly allowed in tourneys, but competing only against similar ringer kids in the U400 division... until they are 1600-1800 then unleased in the next big national level tourney... then players of your level go 0-3 in group qualification and blow a fuse, then wonder if it waz ur rubber or blade.

One of the guys I train is pretty much your level, he would be 1200-1500 east coast level... he recently went to a small local tourney (but in a training center with dozens of these warrior kids) and he did not win any matches vs that crowd at all. He was ranked #2 in his division and lost all three of hiz matches. He felt really bad and embarrassed that he lost so bad and had a "bad" tourney, but this is the expected result given the circumstances he was in. He WILL, however, be doing much better sooner than anyone expects though.

THAT is how it goes in just the local California tourneys... and it is TEN TIMES more fierce in the larger 4 star national tourneys like Joola Championships, US Nationals, or US Open... or even LA Open.

Oh, then you got the pro ringers who keep their rating 400 points lower than their true level, then they register and win this tourney for the small cash prize of 100-300 USD in the lower divisions and the thrill of winning at a big tourney.

MZ, these are my observations and presentations of empirical evidence.

Maybe it is a good idea for me to make some threads like "What was I rated #1 and still lost ALL my USATT Tourney matches" or a similar thread.

Short of it is MZ that in any USA club that is not in the area of a junior warrior training center, you would be properly classified as 1200-1600 and compete in rural tourneys and get results pretty much in the lines of your level... but when you go to a California tourney or anywhere they have similar training going on, or a big national tourney, you will be in for a HUGE shocker.

Oh ok. I didnt see any of their matches. I just assumed that 1200 means 1200 in any part of the country.

Anyways, as I said, anybody has a non-zero chance.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I have some questions after watching Aya-kun's video below:
1. granted that this competition is a huge event, famous even.
2. Prize money is great at USD 25K. Generous no doubt.
3. Granted from the video, everything looks pretty normal and going well.
4. My peeve as follows: where are the referees or umpires. What is stopping those cheaters from doing illegal serves or use illegal rubbers? There is USD 25K at stake there. I am massively surprise that there are no cheaters taking advantage of the lack of enforcement.
5. I mean if the prize at state is a couple of buds and buffalo wings and is a friendly event, who cares? But USD 25K. Why are these people so honest?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Some of the matches did have referees/umpires some did not.

Our club's umpire that worked the event was scheduled to umpire one of the late stage hardbat matches. They started without him because they said they didn't need an umpire.

The open event on tables 1 & 2 did have umpires and the matches on table 1 were streamed on YouTube.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I have some questions after watching Aya-kun's video below:
1. granted that this competition is a huge event, famous even.
2. Prize money is great at USD 25K. Generous no doubt.
3. Granted from the video, everything looks pretty normal and going well.
4. My peeve as follows: where are the referees or umpires. What is stopping those cheaters from doing illegal serves or use illegal rubbers? There is USD 25K at stake there. I am massively surprise that there are no cheaters taking advantage of the lack of enforcement.
5. I mean if the prize at state is a couple of buds and buffalo wings and is a friendly event, who cares? But USD 25K. Why are these people so honest?

$25,000 was for the winner of Open Singles which is an umpired match. Total prize money at the tournament was $100,000. You could always ask for an umpire if you feel you are being cheated, but there may or may not be one available.