What is Joola Global Championship?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I stand by my statement that I think I could win the U1000 tournament. If you disagree, that doesn't bother me at all and you have the right to think otherwise.

I'm sure anyone here can win 1000, it shouldn't be anything to be proud with to be honest.
but I said since you think you can win 1600, then I just say okay, start from the ground up like everyone does.

I stand by my statement - start from the ground up.
And try sticking with a simple bat and I stand by my statement again - find a Coach!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I didn't say I think I would win the 1600. I said I have a non-zero chance to win. I stand by this statement.

If there are 100 people in the tournament, I think I would have a 0.5% to 1.0% chance to win the tournament.

I'm not proud of winning the U1000. I'm just making a statement without any regards to emotion or pride.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Thanks but no thanks to the coach. I'm not trying to be world champion here. If I can raise my game a little bit, that's accomplishment enough. I'd rather use my money on something more valuable to me.

And I like changing rubbers because it gives me energy and motivation to keep playing. It's part of what makes TT interesting to me, that there are so many combinations of products to try.

• Haha
Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks but no thanks to the coach. I'm not trying to be world champion here. If I can raise my game a little bit, that's accomplishment enough. I'd rather use my money on something more valuable to me.

And I like changing rubbers because it gives me energy and motivation to keep playing. It's part of what makes TT interesting to me, that there are so many combinations of products to try.

Most people would say, "learning how to spin the ball more" is motivation or anything about learning.
changing rubbers is motivation - you the manufactures perfect customer lol

Have you ever thought - if a Michael Zhuang that is USATT 2000, can experience a rubber 10 times better than a Michael Zhuang of say USATT 1000?

Its like a beginner driver driving a race car, versus a pro driver driving a race car.
You can only experience things as much as your ability allows you to.

I guess I'm just talking to a brick wall. Tomorrow you going to have another thread, and then again 2 days later all asking how this or that plays.
I do want to see you beating number 5 in these tournaments though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Well I'm not so serious about playing tournaments. I was just poking fun at the tournament for having literally Olympics playing in the same tournament as U1000 players.

I still struggle against lower level players than high level players. I play my best against 1600-1700 players. I tend to play horrible against lower players. Today I played the same guy who I keep having trouble against his serve. He just only has 1 serve where my eyes tell me it is underspin, but as soon as I touch it, my push is too high and he smashes the next shot.

I assure you having Olympic players at the same 4/5 star tournament as beginners is a feature not a bug. It provides funding for the USATT. It's a treat for the amateurs to see and in some cases (usually higher level amateurs) play with the pros. It provides an audience of hundreds for the pros unlike the often dead silent WTT events. Continue to poke fun if you wish. We'll continue enjoying our 4 and 5 star tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

Most people would say, "learning how to spin the ball more" is motivation or anything about learning.
changing rubbers is motivation - you the manufactures perfect customer lol

Have you ever thought - if a Michael Zhuang that is USATT 2000, can experience a rubber 10 times better than a Michael Zhuang of say USATT 1000?

Its like a beginner driver driving a race car, versus a pro driver driving a race car.
You can only experience things as much as your ability allows you to.

I guess I'm just talking to a brick wall. Tomorrow you going to have another thread, and then again 2 days later all asking how this or that plays.
I do want to see you beating number 5 in these tournaments though.

woah easy there. MZ is trying to learn every aspect of the game (more like about equipments here) but aside from opening too many threads about rubber and blade comparison - it is somehow useful for some people.

I agree about playing tournament - it has a different vibe than your regular club matches.
even me (a solid 2200) still struggle sometimes to lower level players the first few points but after I figure their weaknesses out it is easier.
everyone learns the game differently - it is a tricky game and requires dedication.

it takes time.

Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well its not that i dont want to be 2000. But even with a coach, i dont see it happening. Its not a magic button i can push to automatically be 2000.

Actually my goal is to get to 1800 in 2023. But my practices have been garbage as of late. Im probably reversing my gains of the summer.

Who knows maybe next year i will start playing tournaments in the city.

For about 10 years i was playing badminton, and the previous 10 years i was playing tennis. Ive only been in the TT world the past 1 year. I dont know much about tournaments, equipments, strategies etc. Im still trying to map them out in my head.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have lots of experience both as a table tennis shop owner and as a coach for amateurs players (around say 6 years) of players changing equipment regularly.
That changing equipment regularly, Michael, it feels like you doing it weekly (even monthly is a lot), I haven't come across anyone in your league yet.

From both my shop and coaching angle - that is doing a lot way more harm to your game than you think you are finding the golden ticket to level 1800.

1800 is pretty high level and tough for anyone that doesn't start from a young age and choosing coachless methods too.
If you don't want to be spending money on coaches, even 5 to 10 lessons is high recommended to get you onto the right direction and is way better than you accumulating new bad habits every week (with a different bat too) and then needing to unlearn it a year later.

Good that you setting goals, maybe it is a good idea to read books (many are for free), on how people actually get to such level.
Its not just training or playing, TT is a chess game as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I have lots of experience both as a table tennis shop owner and as a coach for amateurs players (around say 6 years) of players changing equipment regularly.
That changing equipment regularly, Michael, it feels like you doing it weekly (even monthly is a lot), I haven't come across anyone in your league yet.

From both my shop and coaching angle - that is doing a lot way more harm to your game than you think you are finding the golden ticket to level 1800.

1800 is pretty high level and tough for anyone that doesn't start from a young age and choosing coachless methods too.
If you don't want to be spending money on coaches, even 5 to 10 lessons is high recommended to get you onto the right direction and is way better than you accumulating new bad habits every week (with a different bat too) and then needing to unlearn it a year later.

Good that you setting goals, maybe it is a good idea to read books (many are for free), on how people actually get to such level.

I actually was only changing rubber once every 3 months. But then recently I decided to change every month, not really because I need to, but because I realized I would never get through my accumulated rubbers at that pace.

To be honest, I have found changing rubbers to be helpful in some ways. Because I notice that some rubbers are better for certain shots, and it makes me realize new shots I need to practice.

In my opinion, having a coach for general practice doesn't sound super useful. Having a coach to give you very detailed advice on how to handle very specific situations I think is more helpful. For example, how to return a specific serve, or how to deal with a specific sequence in the rally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
hardest technical part is controlling the spin. once you’ve mastered it - you can start training on how to control specific spin effectively.

changing equipment will make that process a lot harder and longer.

once you have the technique, here comes the “chess” part. that really separates levels.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
hardest technical part is controlling the spin. once you’ve mastered it - you can start training on how to control specific spin effectively.

changing equipment will make that process a lot harder and longer.

once you have the technique, here comes the “chess” part. that really separates levels.

Actually I'm more bothered by the lack of spin than spin at this point. I get tripped up by flat drives and no-spin pushes and no-spin serves.

It's easier for me to handle the ball when there is a clear spin on the ball rather than a vague spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

Coaching definitely makes a huge difference but not all people are willing to make that commitment. If coaching isn't in your future I really think improving your serve and serve return is the best way to spend your time. Maybe even working with limited coaching on only that aspect of the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Coaching definitely makes a huge difference but not all people are willing to make that commitment. If coaching isn't in your future I really think improving your serve and serve return is the best way to spend your time. Maybe even working with limited coaching on only that aspect of the game.

Yes I think 90% of my wins and losses are decided by just the serve return. Maybe i might be willing to get coaching just on this one aspect.

If i could have a coach follow me around to every game I play and tell me exactly what stroke to use on every serve

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The sad thing about this with the coaching is that if you start with a coach from day one you don't really need to spend that many lessons before you develop good basic technique. Then you can decide to continue with a coach or just play and have fun. But you won't lose those fundamentals.

Most people do what MZ is doing, I did the same. We start playing and say, I'm not so serious, want to have fun, get some exercise. We play for like a year or two, and then we stop improving and want to get better, tired of losing to the same guy, whatever. Then we go to a coach.

If you start with a coach after one or two years, it may take another two years just to change the bad habits you developed playing on your own. Maybe this is not as true where Michael is as where I started to play because there are more players with good technique around to copy. But still, coaching delivers by far the most benefit per dollar/time increment the sooner you start.

Contrariwise, I would say EJing may confer more benefit later, when you have a defined style and real strengths and weaknesses.

Just my experience, fwiw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Yep, same tournament. That's one of things that Ayano finds pretty cool about tournaments in the USA. Depending on the tournament, you can find the full range of players from beginner to pro level players.

The US are not known for being the home of highly skilled players compared to Europe or Asia, that's why it's easy to meet all levels in that kind of tournament. For example, the n°4 USA Team player is able to beat the french n° 52 Damien Provost, but with many difficulties, there's a huge gap between Kanak, Nikhil and the others. Lily is quite alone for the women too, and she definitely should stop whining about the US TT economy and move to Europe or Asia.

It's capitalism baby ! no money to build a really pro league because no TV network would buy it, but plenty of money wasted in those kind of events for fans, bear in mind that if Joola can spend 25 000 bucks in prize money, it's because they'll get 3 or 4 times more in return: the EJs.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

It's actually the level I've achieved, the RC 1800, when I was 19 after being trained 4h/week for a whole year by a RC 2500 national level coach. And I was living in France in the good ol' days of french TT, in the 90's ! so it was easy to get proper teaching in TT for almost nothing.

It's like playing music for classical or jazz, driving a racing car or being a pilot: it requires thousands of hours to master any advanced skills !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

The US are not known for being the home of highly skilled players compared to Europe or Asia, that's why it's easy to meet all levels in that kind of tournament. For example, the n°4 USA Team player is able to beat the french n° 52 Damien Provost, but with many difficulties, there's a huge gap between Kanak, Nikhil and the others. Lily is quite alone for the women too, and she definitely should stop whining about the US TT economy and move to Europe or Asia.

It's capitalism baby ! no money to build a really pro league because no TV network would buy it, but plenty of money wasted in those kind of events for fans, bear in mind that if Joola can spend 25 000 bucks in prize money, it's because they'll get 3 or 4 times more in return: the EJs.

Total prize money was $100,000 of which $25,000 given to the winner of Open Singles, and that's just prize money.

• Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

So what ? It's bananas, because there's more than 1 000 people who have paid the registration fee, it's not like the WTT who pays millions of bucks for a handfull of top world players.

1000 X 349 bucks (the registration fee is between 499 and 399 for club players) and you get .... TADAAAAM 349 000 bucks !!! see what I said ? the EJs have already paid for 3 to 4 times more the prize money hahaha

https://joola.com/joola-brings-new-global-championships-tournament-to-florida/

"The regular entry fee for JOOLA Global Championships is $499, but several tiers of limited early bird deals are available. $399 club pricing is also available to members of JOOLA-sponsored table tennis clubs. This is a tournament you won’t want to miss out on."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I mean... their entry fee is even higher than the WTT Feeder or Youth series fee ! for a tournament that gives you no rating point worldwide ...