Favorite cheap chinese semi tacky (half sticky) rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Tacky rubbers have some disadvantages. They require a small break in period to loose there "fresh ultra tacky" state. After that period, the tackiness can become inconsistent from the rubber center to edge. Tacky rubbers pick up dust quick and are slightly harder to clean with the palm of your hand (grippy rubbers are a breeze in comparison). The inconsistent tack between center and edge, or due to dust accumulation, can affect pushing consistency. You must clean the rubber frequently to keep the bounce consistent across the rubber surface. In summary, tacky rubbers are rather high maintenance.

Recently, semi tacky (or half sticky) rubbers from non-chinese brands have become popular recently like Butterfly Dignics, Tibhar K3, Donic Bluegrip, Stiga Dragongrip, Razka Z, etc. The advantage of semi tacky is that you get some of the feel and spin advantages of tacky rubbers while minimizing some of the above mentioned maintenance disadvantages, namely better consistent feel right out of the package and slightly easier to clean and maintain.

Many non-chinese semi-tacky rubbers have become popular and have been widely discussed, so on the flip side what are your favorite cheap chinese "semi tacky" rubbers? (I just wanted to make a thread with the title "semi-tacky" and "half sticky" for future ease of search.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
The best ones are Yinhe Big Dipper, Jupiter 3, Apollo 5, Friendship Bloom Power. All of them are fast and bouncy and semi-tacky.

Loki GTX can be good, but needs baby oil and booster. When tuned right, it is quite fast, powerful, and semi-tacky like a hybrid.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Tacky rubbers have some disadvantages. They require a small break in period to loose there "fresh ultra tacky" state. After that period, the tackiness can become inconsistent from the rubber center to edge.

No break in period is needed if one rolls 3 brand new balls over the rubbers for a couple of minutes. The minute
residue of talcum powder on the balls takes care of the fresh ultra tackiness.
Re. inconsistent tackiness from center to the edge, please let me know when you have any means of empirically prove this . I just did a quick finger test on my months old rubbers and they are sticky wherever i touch them.
I do like my Rxton 5 and can highly recommend them to any mediocre player like myself 😁

Regular cleaning by hot breath and palm wipe is common procedure and so is washing after every session and
keeping the rubbers protected.
Not of course if you are a sponsored player who gets the rubbers for free.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022

No break in period is needed if one rolls 3 brand new balls over the rubbers for a couple of minutes. The minute
residue of talcum powder on the balls takes care of the fresh ultra tackiness.
Re. inconsistent tackiness from center to the edge, please let me know when you have any means of empirically prove this . I just did a quick finger test on my months old rubbers and they are sticky wherever i touch them.
I do like my Rxton 5 and can highly recommend them to any mediocre player like myself 😁

Regular cleaning by hot breath and palm wipe is common procedure and so is washing after every session and
keeping the rubbers protected.
Not of course if you are a sponsored player who gets the rubbers for free.

I think if you constantly clean your rubber and replace often this is not an issue. But I do have a month old STN cleaned only with purified water where the center is now ultra grippy whereas the edge (especially top edge) is still tacky, and has a different response when pushing that I have to be careful of. Maybe there is a cleaner that restores tack that I could use (?).

As for the cleaning, yes, its common procedure even with tacky rubber, I am just saying that it is harder to do than grippy rubber. (more friction, need more breath) not a huge deal, but just a bit more annoying than grippy rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I like Big Dipper 38H. After maybe ten hours of play i clean them with shaving foam, then apply a protective sheet, and only water after every practice. For me it seem to restore the tackiness to a good level.

And it's cheap.

Last edited: