Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    says May the Spin be with you!

Senior TTD Member 562 894

Senior TTD Member 894 562

Kanak Jha

Kanak is a USA professional TT player. I am not a fan of him and seldom notice him until by chance I viewed this video. I am impressed and the video made me take notice. He is not a powerful all out attacking style player and his style is what I would called a controlled offensive player. His stroke is so clean and technical, it is almost text-book perfect.

Which brings me to the next question below:

In the Sino-sphere, majority tend to reference Ma Long as the text-book example of a perfect FH hand loop ( Chinese style ). All others are benchmarked against Ma Long.

However, if the Eurozone, who can we assign such title to? is it Timo Boll? Who can we say is the equivalent to Ma Long in the Eurozone?

Discussion welcomed.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 256 1,745
    M
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,745 256

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    In Europe, Dima has the best stroke mechanics to my eye.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 256 1,745
    M
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,745 256

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    I really don't like Kanak's stroke. It looks very ugly to me, and it gives me the impression of a crab. When he wins points, I have this uneasy feeling of "he didn't deserve to win", or he won in a cheap way

The Following 2 Users Like Michael Zhuang's Post:

karupinkun and loerting

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,548 2,694
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,694 2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    However, if the Eurozone, who can we assign such title to? is it Timo Boll? Who can we say is the equivalent to Ma Long in the Eurozone?
    Here's where ye olde fartes like me would mention Dragutin Šurbek and Jean-Philippe Gatien. In modern players, I rather like Kristian Karlssons's strokes.

The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

Koichi and SamTheMan

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 483 1,106
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,106 483

User Info Menu

I’m with Gozo on this Jha guy, but he doesn’t show much powerful looping, great blocker though but that could be attributed to the type of game.

I agree with Yoass on Kristian Karlsson, he’s one of the most outright offensive players I’ve seen.

Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

says Spin to win

Advanced TTD Member 135 344
    says Spin to win

Advanced TTD Member 344 135
    And by contrast to Jha - Arunas 'style' would never be in a text book, but it works for him. Is there such a thing as the perfect way to play? 😀

The Following 2 Users Like jammmail's Post:

Draycott old man and NextLevel

This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 52
    A
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 28
    Kanak's a great player, but I find his style a little too structured and robotic. His consistency and ability to actively block are a strength, but he tends to get a little too passive in his attacks and doesn't have any big weapons (unlike Aruna's nuclear forehand). Unlikely he'll ever see the top 10.

The Following User Likes AndyK's Post:

jammmail

This user has no status.

TTD Member 47 96
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 96 47
    Quote Originally Posted by jammmail
    And by contrast to Jha - Arunas 'style' would never be in a text book, but it works for him. Is there such a thing as the perfect way to play? 😀

Totally agree!!!! Jha's style works for him we are human beings and not robots!!!!! We are all individuals with our own different styles!!!!!

The Following User Likes Draycott old man's Post:

jammmail

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 195 418
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 418 195

User Info Menu

Kanak is a USA professional TT player. I am not a fan of him and seldom notice him until by chance I viewed this video. I am impressed and the video made me take notice. He is not a powerful all out attacking style player and his style is what I would called a controlled offensive player. His stroke is so clean and technical, it is almost text-book perfect.Which brings me to the next question below:In the Sino-sphere, majority tend to reference Ma Long as the text-book example of a perfect FH hand loop ( Chinese style ). All others are benchmarked against Ma Long.However, if the Eurozone, who can we assign such title to? is it Timo Boll? Who can we say is the equivalent to Ma Long in the Eurozone?Discussion welcomed.

I agree with you - to my eye he has a great stroke technique and in particular good movement. His style is pretty offensive but as you say, well controlled and not all out.I particularly like the way he switches between BH topspin and BH block and shapes the rally in this way.

Last edited by Wrighty67; 09-13-2022 at 05:17 PM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 136 138
    K
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 138 136

User Info Menu

Jul 2019
    Japan
    Read 0 Reviews
    If we just talk about the stroke I strongly disagree. In my eyes his strokes and technique is clumsy and ugly. Espacially on his forhand...

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 40 121
    T
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 121 40

User Info Menu

Apr 2022
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I appreciate players with unusual styles. It brings interesting variety to the game and shows that you can develop your own style and still be a top player.

The Following 3 Users Like tabletennisdaily1's Post:

Draycott old man, jammmail and 1 other

says HI

TTD Member 36 83
    says HI

TTD Member 83 36
    Kanak is a USA professional TT player. I am not a fan of him and seldom notice him until by chance I viewed this video. I am impressed and the video made me take notice. He is not a powerful all out attacking style player and his style is what I would called a controlled offensive player. His stroke is so clean and technical, it is almost text-book perfect.

Which brings me to the next question below:

In the Sino-sphere, majority tend to reference Ma Long as the text-book example of a perfect FH hand loop ( Chinese style ). All others are benchmarked against Ma Long.

Discussion welcomed.

Form doesnt really matter, as long as you are spinning the ball and can transfer your weight evenly. The chinese just wind up with the best looking forms because of how much technical training they do.

The Following User Likes matt243385's Post:

jammmail

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 95 193
    I
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 193 95

User Info Menu

Mar 2014
    Vietnam
    Read 0 Reviews
    I don't like Kanak Jha's technique at all, it looks very stiff and robotic, especially the FH topspin. I'm sorry I don't think it's "text-book technique" by any means. The proof is he couldn't generate too much power with that FH technique.

I used to think Kanak would never make it into the top 50 with that FH. But he surprised me TIME after TIME, beating top players who have better-looking technique and becoming a consistent top 50 player. So he deserves my respect. He shows that even if you don't have the perfect technique, you can still play very high-level table tennis if you have a strong work ethic and develop your own game that gets the maximum out of your technique.

European players don't often have text-book technique. I'd classify Waldner's FH and Jorgic's BH as text book.

The Following 2 Users Like iammaru's Post:

jammmail and Metaxa

Last edited by iammaru; 09-13-2022 at 07:59 PM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 13,854 9,396
    N
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 9,396 13,854

User Info Menu

The funny thing when I read all these comments is that I remember someone who I used to hang around with who was a CNT fanboy of the highest order. We hung together in around 2015/2016. He felt that Kanak had perfect strokes and the best technique in North America. Technique is so subjective...

And all in all, while I have a friend who is a high level coach and a Chinese fanboy who doesn't like Kanak's forehand, again it is all relative. The best forehand is the one that wins the point for you, not the one that someone put into a video for you to print out and pin up on your wall.

The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

jammmail

Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Senior TTD Member 562 894

Senior TTD Member 894 562
    Quote Originally Posted by iammaru
    I don't like Kanak Jha's technique at all, it looks very stiff and robotic, especially the FH topspin. I'm sorry I don't think it's "text-book technique" by any means. The proof is he couldn't generate too much power with that FH technique.

I used to think Kanak would never make it into the top 50 with that FH. But he surprised me TIME after TIME, beating top players who have better-looking technique and becoming a consistent top 50 player. So he deserves my respect. He shows that even if you don't have the perfect technique, you can still play very high-level table tennis if you have a strong work ethic and develop your own game that gets the maximum out of your technique.

European players don't often have text-book technique. I'd classify Waldner's FH and Jorgic's BH as text book.
    I speculate that Kanak tactics is not to over-power his opponent but rather to keep the ball in play with placement and variation and let his opponent make unforced error to get the winning points. All-round attacking style perhaps.

says Love my Joola ZQ sALC 90

TTD Member 2 15
    says Love my Joola ZQ sALC 90

TTD Member 15 2
    I watched his match with Filus and...just amazing. He can feel every ball he knows how when and everything, Easy job for him

says Spin to win

Advanced TTD Member 135 344
    says Spin to win

Advanced TTD Member 344 135
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    The funny thing when I read all these comments is that I remember someone who I used to hang around with who was a CNT fanboy of the highest order. We hung together in around 2015/2016. He felt that Kanak had perfect strokes and the best technique in North America. Technique is so subjective...

And all in all, while I have a friend who is a high level coach and a Chinese fanboy who doesn't like Kanak's forehand, again it is all relative. The best forehand is the one that wins the point for you, not the one that someone put into a video for you to print out and pin up on your wall.

Plus is FH is much better than anyone commenting here! 🤣

The Following 2 Users Like jammmail's Post:

Draycott old man and NextLevel

This user has no status.

TTD Member 47 96
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 96 47
    Quote Originally Posted by tabletennisdaily1
    I appreciate players with unusual styles. It brings interesting variety to the game and shows that you can develop your own style and still be a top player.

My table tennis hero has a unique style!!!! Werner Schlager was upright and stiff but he was a world champion 🏆 im sure lots of coaches would of said his technique was wrong but his belief in himself and his game made a legend!!!

The Following 2 Users Like Draycott old man's Post:

jammmail and NextLevel

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 49 129
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 129 49

User Info Menu

Feb 2018
    Turkey
    Read 3 Reviews
    I think Apolonia's technique is very aesthetic.

Karlsson doing too much power shots. I think he could play better with tacky rubber. It doesn't seem that aesthetic to my eyes.

Khanak Jha's forehand... No comment.

Young Chinese players seem very identical.

Alpha Chinese players have different spice in their playing styles.

XX's helikopter side spin FH,
    LJK's wristy power FH,
    ML's trademark FH,
    ZJK's wristy brushy FH with BH grip.

The Following User Likes burhanayan's Post:

jammmail

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 89 238
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 238 89
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    I really don't like Kanak's stroke. It looks very ugly to me, and it gives me the impression of a crab. When he wins points, I have this uneasy feeling of "he didn't deserve to win", or he won in a cheap way
    Indeed, I saw him play in Belgium in October 2017 and already thought his game was too clinical. Now so many years later, his game hasn't changed at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast