Viscaria, Boll ALC & Jike ALC - some thoughts..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi all

I know these blades are often discussed and compared, in many case without much consensus from what I have found in my research.

I have been playing with Viscarias for a while (I have 2) and am very comfortable with them, but recently had the opportunity to try both the other blades and wanted to share some thoughts that may (or may not) help others in the future.

I am an offensive player with a stronger FH than BH but who generally likes a fairly close to the table topspin driven game. What I have always liked about the Viscaria is the feeling of crispness and directness it offers whilst still feeling soft enough to give me some feeling and good contact This helps me to feel comfortable with attacking and blocking but without compromising my push game. The handle was probably the only area I felt I might be more comfortable with the other options (straight on both) which is why I tried them.

I have used the same rubbers on all blades (K3 FH & R7 BH) although the two sets are slightly different in age as one has around 25h and the other around 6h. I first tried the Boll & Jike and having now ruled the Boll out as a main blade option, am now comparing Viscaria and Jike more closely.

Blades are slightly different weights;

Viscaria 90g (4 years old)
Boll 85g (8 years old but unused until now)
Jike 86g (9 years old but light use)

The key areas I was trying to evaluate;

1. Crispness / hardness - Boll > Viscaria > Jike

The Boll stood out for me as noticeably harder and crisper than the other two - I like this character a lot in a blade, but on balance found the Boll a tad too much for me right now. The impact just felt less tolerant of a less than perfect contact - less margin for error on this, which probably hurt me in matchplay situations.

The Viscaria and Jike were not far apart, but to me the Jike felt slightly softer - the jury is out for me as to which I prefer right now in this area.

2. Comfort of handle Jike > Viscaria > Boll

I like both the straight handles here and enjoy playing with them slightly more than the flared Viscaria. What I have found however is that the Boll, when I play matches, starts to feel slippery and less secure in my hand, in particular when serving using a pistol grip for a pendulum/reverse pendulum serve. I had to towel down my hand much more regularly in order to feel secure - this is an issue for me. The Jike seems better in this regard and the Viscaria is never an issue.

3. Control Jike = Viscaria > Boll

Not much to choose between the Jike and the Viscaria from what I have seen to date, but once again the Boll appears to have slightly less control and feeling

4. Speed Boll > Viscaria = Jike

Boll feels slightly faster than the other two - I need to spend a little more time with the Viscaria and Jike to really establish if there is any meaningful difference but I suspect there isn't much, if any.

Not surprisingly there is a lot of similarity between these blades as might be expected given their construction is identical, but the different handles certainly contribute to a different feeling when holding and playing. As Baal has said in the past, there is no doubt something that gives the Boll more crispness and a slightly harder feeling - it may be a treatment of some sort on the blade. The weight difference is negligible between Boll & Jike while the Viscaria is 4-5g or so heavier than either and so might offer a little more heft and speed.

I would be happy to hear any of your thoughts on these or any questions that I may not have covered - I have only really focused on what I look for in a blade.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
But I like Lin Gaoyuan ALC so much, I tried Fan Zhendong ALC but disappointed and sold. One comment from Zhihu about Lin ALC, I think it's true with my feeling (I translated by Google Translate, hope you understand):

Lin A does not belong to Zhang Jike's alc's brittle bullet, nor does it belong to Viscalia's tough bullet, it is the most comfortable soft bullet among them. And the speed is very fast. The backhand with butterfly t05 rubber is basically an automatic gear. The lethality of the backhand is very outstanding. The backhand tearing, twisting and pulling are all very handy. Lan Sheng, although the forehand advantage is not as outstanding as the backhand advantage, it is still one of the best, and the most powerful ability of this blade is the control ability. We are fortunate to have beaten friends, and compared with Long Wu and Lin A, although it may be this The quality of the veneer of the two blades is relatively high, but the control ability is relatively poor, while Lin A is just the opposite. In the current game, because the ball is bigger, the veneer is difficult to kill the opponent, and the continuity of the stalemate is particularly important. At this time, the advantage of Lin A's control ability was revealed. Another advantage of Lin A compared to other butterfly blades is that it is fast, but in the game, maintaining the speed requires good control. These two advantages of Lin A and their limitations complement each other, so whether it is a game And training Lin a is the best choice for players with relatively poor control or speed. 2⃣️There are more and more national players using Lin Gaoyuan. Lin Gaoyuan has used Lin Gaoyuan's ALC for a few years without any outstanding results; but Wang Manyu took Lin Gaoyuan's ALC to kill the Quartet and became the signature player of the national table tennis women's team. Lin Gaoyuan's ALC started to become popular on the Internet; Zhou Qihao used Lin Gaoyuan's ALC to kill all sides in the National Games, and he actually eliminated Fan Zhendong. Lin Gaoyuan's ALC started to become popular, and there was no Lin Gaoyuan's ALC incense in Viscaria for a while; At the WTT at the end of 2021, Lin Gaoyuan's ALC has been on fire for three days, and Xu Yingbin has also started to kill the Quartet with Lin Gaoyuan's ALC. The WTT Macau Tournament is completely online and Lin Gaoyuan's ALC is out of stock... 3⃣️The contract between Lin Gaoyuan and Butterfly is about to expire. For a while, it was rumored that Lin Gaoyuan ALC may stop production. For a time, the equipment dealers of roasted seeds and nuts began to sweep the goods; the 1857 live broadcast room boasted that the Japanese version of Lin Gaoyuan's ALC was better in appearance and better to play.

• Love
Reactions: M.Hoang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
What are the weights of the blades made up? I have a feeling I prefer bats in the 185g range rather than one of my other bats that 195g made up. Its only 10g but i think it can make a big difference to how they play.

Viscaria is around 194g
Boll is 187g
Jike is 189g

I am happy with anywhere from 185-200g

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I thought I would update this with my latest thoughts following some more table time.

Boll - definitely a level above the other in terms of crispness and speed. Right now, probably too much for me despite liking the feeling.

Jike - feels very close to the Viscera's I own and is a lovely blade to play. I did however find once again last night that the handle became slippery in the heat of match play and in particular when serving. This appears to be a straight handle related issue and may impact what I choose to move forwards with.

I am going to revisit the Viscaria next week - it seems to be the sweet spot for me in terms of blade characteristics and handle comfort.

Reactions: jammmail