The best height for a male table tennis player

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
I was just wondering what you thought the best height for a male table tennis player was ??? I think 5f 9inchs !!! I believe taller players are at a disadvantage as they have to stay lower which isn't natural to them !!! It just my opinion!!!! What do you think 🤔🧐
Maybe Zoran Kalinic knows that 🏓

Reactions: yoass

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
It is definitely the height of FZD that is best. Or of ML. Perhaps that of WLQ. Or even RSM. Possibly LGL.

So definitely between 168cm and 185cm is the best height for men.

Reactions: Draycott old man
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
As a taller person, it is annoying to have to bend down very low/have a very wide stance. That being said, Samsonov is even taller than I am and one of the best players of all time, so I have no excuses... I agree that 5' 6"-5' 10" in that area seems to be the ideal area for reach, rotational swing power, and lower ball vision height.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
It is definitely the height of FZD that is best. Or of ML. Perhaps that of WLQ. Or even RSM. Possibly LGL.

So definitely between 168cm and 185cm is the best height for men.
Data doesn’t lie!!

I guess another variable to factor in is the style. For example, a close to table hitter (main style in ABS ball) needs fast recovery and pace. Hence too tall will be a disadvantage

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Samsonov is like 1,90 or so and he was pretty good. I think generally too tall is a disadvantage though, especially long term since you have to bend your knees more.Btw does anyone else think that the table is too low for adult people? I think if the table was 15 cm higher it would stress back and knees much less especially for older players.If you watch pro players they stand about belt is table high but if you stand upright the table is more like mid to upper thigh.If the table was a little higher players over 165cm height would need to bend down less making table tennis a more healthy sport.But of course that would mean that you would need two kinds of tables (or adjustable tables) so kids can play too.

Last edited:
As a taller person, it is annoying to have to bend down very low/have a very wide stance. That being said, Samsonov is even taller than I am and one of the best players of all time, so I have no excuses... I agree that 5' 6"-5' 10" in that area seems to be the ideal area for reach, rotational swing power, and lower ball vision height.

Samsonov was an amazing player who made the game look so easy!!! He seemed to have so much time !!! His reading of the game was exceptional!!! Would he of been even better if he was 6 inches shorter? I'm only 5f 10 but at 56 I find it so hard to stay low enough for long periods of time!!! Your game is never as good when you stand more upright!!!!

Reactions: MarcAnt01
Samsonov is like 1,90 or so and he was pretty good. I think generally too tall is a disadvantage though, especially long term since you have to bend your knees more.Btw does anyone else think that the table is too low for adult people? I think if the table was 15 cm higher it would stress back and knees much less especially for older players.If you watch pro players they stand about belt is table high but if you stand upright the table is more like mid to upper thigh.If the table was a little higher players over 165cm height would need to bend down less making table tennis a more healthy sport.But of course that would mean that you would need two kinds of tables (or adjustable tables) so kids can play too.

Raising the table higher would definitely help me !!! Interesting idea!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews

I think 15 cm is too much, even that makes different sport like table badminton / volleyball. Bending gives flexibility, control and power. So even increasing 2 cm would decrease pace of game a lot also for taller players. We may see that difference in women games, especially over table.
In my opinion, 3 cm increasing would be more than enough for players whose heigh average is 190.

For current standart height, between 175-180 cm is kind a sweet spot, below or above 5cm is still very playable without major disadvantage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I think 15 cm is too much, even that makes different sport like table badminton / volleyball. Bending gives flexibility, control and power. So even increasing 2 cm would decrease pace of game a lot also for taller players. We may see that difference in women games, especially over table.
In my opinion, 3 cm increasing would be more than enough for players whose heigh average is 190.

For current standart height, between 175-180 cm is kind a sweet spot, below or above 5cm is still very playable without major disadvantage.

But you can still bend down on a table that is 10cm higher.

Even a short player like fzd bends down more than he needs and often hits balls like chest height so he could still hit balls that high and still have a good kneebend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews

But you can still bend down on a table that is 10cm higher.

Even a short player like fzd bends down more than he needs and often hits balls like chest height so he could still hit balls that high and still have a good kneebend.

I mean bending by both knee and lower back not just leaning forward with shoulders. FZD's knee bend is not disadvantage, is advantage. With straight legs, keeping body balance is not easy while swinging your arm with full force. Being able to swing racket to ball is not enough.
10cm is still too high for people shorter than 180cm for stable and powerful stroke near table and also banana or other flicks on the table. Standing still could be okay for recreational level but one of essences of this sport is body position, but I'm also agree for older and taller people higher table could be more playable but it will change the pace of game.
Let's say ITTF increased tables' heigh, majority of players won't change their body posture much where the ball is not over table, only changes would be racket angles and swing directions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Put something under the posts the table is standing on, maybe a 10 centimeter wood box or so. Or some bricks outdoor.

I think that would be mostly interesting for older recreational players, pros of course have the fitness and health to get into a deep squat.

Put something under the posts the table is standing on, maybe a 10 centimeter wood box or so. Or some bricks outdoor.

I think that would be mostly interesting for older recreational players, pros of course have the fitness and health to get into a deep squat.

Might just try that on my table at home ☺️ It would be interesting to see how different my strokes were while on my robot 🤖 !! As normally after 90 minutes solid training on the robot my back is aching!!! Old age comes to us all lol 🤣🤣🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have heard that Waldner did not want to grow beyond 1,80.