Best non-ESN, non-BTY tensor rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Is there any general consensus about what is the best non-ESN and non-BTY tensor rubber? Almost every rubber I hear about nowadays is a ESN.

The only non-ESN rubber that I even know of is the new Hammond Z2 and Victas 07.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
AFAIK, 'Tensor' rubbers all come from the ESN factory.

Obviously Hurricane would be the most popular attacking rubber but its characteristics are very different from ESN tensor rubbers.

Maybe some of the DHS GoldArc rubbers are a candidate for this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
The Gold Arc 5 and 8 are ESN as well, the Tin Arc series was the Chinese "tensor" copy. There are a few Chinese made rubbers that are non tacky and have cake sponge. 729 Presto series, Yinhe Moon (Speed), Victas TR, Yasaka Hovering Dragon. But all of these play quite differently.

I guess the best non-ESN non-BTY "tensor" rubbers are the Mizuno Q-series.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Interesting, I've never heard of Mizuno rubbers. In Japan, they are very popular for athletic clothes and shoes and such.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
For me the winner of this category goes to Friendship 729 Battle II. It is definitely non-ESN and non-BTY, satisfying both criteria.

Well im specifically asking about tensor type rubbers, meaning those bouncy catapult rubbers.

But for tacky rubbers, i agree with you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Well, then the Mantra Pro series sounds very promising!

Indeed, I was sad when Stiga moved to ESN as the manufacturer. I thought they're gonna break up with Daiki or whoever made their Japanese rubbers.

Who makes these rubbers? Do they also make for other tt brands?

Yes, I think they make the rubbers for Nexy, most likely the Neottec rubber too that got some traction a few months ago. Chances are that if it's a Japanese rubber and not BTY or Mizuno Q series it is made by them.
Probably the Hammond Z2 is made by them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Made in Japan:
MizunoQ1, Q3, Q4, Q5, QQuality
FriendshipVisnatura, Pando
NexyEtika
NeottecX5
Victas/TSPVJ>07, Regalis
NittakuHammond Z2, Z6, Z8, Goriki
StigaMantra, Mantra Pro
[tbody] [/tbody]
Made in China:
VictasTriple Regular, Triple Extra, Triple Double Extra (if we allow hybrid rubbers)
FriendshipPresto
YinheMoon Speed
DHSHurricane 8-80 and maybe Skyline 3-60 (hybrid)
PalioAK47
SanweiGear Hyper (hybrid)
StigaGenesis 1, 2 (hybrid)
YasakaHovering Dragon (hybrid?)
LokiArthur (China, Asia, Pro, Euro maybe all hybrid rubbers)
[tbody] [/tbody]

Reactions: Fnub and Tono62
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Oh that's so interesting that Daiki and Sumitomo make rubbers for all these companies.

Ive only tried victas 07 and hammond z2 from daiki. But from what ive seen, their rubbers are just as good as esn. Why arent they more popular?

Ive never tried anything from sumitomo, but the mizuno q series seems like it has strong reviews.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Made in Japan:
MizunoQ1, Q3, Q4, Q5, QQuality
FriendshipVisnatura, Pando
NexyEtika
NeottecX5
Victas/TSPVJ>07, Regalis
NittakuHammond Z2, Z6, Z8, Goriki
StigaMantra, Mantra Pro
[tbody] [/tbody]
Made in China:
VictasTriple Regular, Triple Extra, Triple Double Extra (if we allow hybrid rubbers)
FriendshipPresto
YinheMoon Speed
DHSHurricane 8-80 and maybe Skyline 3-60 (hybrid)
PalioAK47
SanweiGear Hyper (hybrid)
StigaGenesis 1, 2 (hybrid)
YasakaHovering Dragon (hybrid?)
LokiArthur (China, Asia, Pro, Euro maybe all hybrid rubbers)
[tbody] [/tbody]

Hovering Dragon is not a hybrid in the sense that it doesn't have a tacky topsheet. However the sponge I think is Japanese and the rubber topsheet is Chinese. In that sense it's a hybrid and feels kinda like a speedglued rubber. But not ESN-like...

I think the definition of a tensor rubber is that it should mimic the good old speed glued rubbers without speed glueing. In that sense I would not add the Pando (feels kinda like a Mark V w/o speed glue), Victas TE, TDE, H8-80 doesn't really mimic speed glue feeling, but it does have some bounciness. Skyline 3-60 is pretty good, especially the softer one (35deg), and the Hurricane 3-60 has even better speedglue feeling even tho these are tacky rubbers.
Stiga Genesis I tried briefly, but it did not give me the impression of speedglue-like play. The rest is OK or I haven't tried and cannot comment.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Tensor is patented name for ESN products exclusively.
​​​​​​China-made rubbers that employ high tension material similar to ESN's are found on market under differen label , e.g. "high inner energy rubber" or suchlike. GD is known for making tensioned rubbers with a strong katapulta inside.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Tensor is patented name for ESN products exclusively.
​​​​​​China-made rubbers that employ high tension material similar to ESN's are found on market under differen label , e.g. "high inner energy rubber" or suchlike. GD is known for making tensioned rubbers with a strong katapulta inside.
What is GD?

I've tried many Chinese attempts at making bouncy rubbers, but I don't think I would call any of them truly catapult rubbers like true ESN tensors. Which rubbers are you referring to?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
A CLEVER HOAX TO BOOST SELLING RATES..

[size=+1]In terms of elastomer material science, there is NO clearcut definition of TENSOR rubbers. There is no distinct difference between TENSORIC and Non TENSORIC rubbers. As matter of fact, not all rubbers being claimed to have tensor effect would play like real tensors.[/size]

Be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreto