Game, Set and Match

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In tennis you have games, sets and matches.

1) Games: games are short, one person serves for the whole game. Then in the next game the other player serves. The games take anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes to play.

2) Sets: a set is made up of games. The first player to win 6 games while winning by 2 games, wins the set. They used to play till someone won a set by 2 games. Then they instituted a tie breaker system where, if the score of a set is 6 games to 6, then they will play a tie breaker to determine the winner of the set. In some tournaments the final set in a match is played with no tie breakers.

3) Match: a match is usually the winner of best of 3 or 5 sets. In a best of three match, the first player to win 2 sets wins the match. In a best of 5 match, the first player to win 3 sets is the winner of the match.

Why am I explaining this simple information that most of you probably already know?

Why on earth do people call the games in a table tennis match sets? What are they sets of? They are not sets of anything. They are games. They are not, in fact sets. I think this is being done because some people want to make table tennis sound more similar to tennis. But when people say he won the first set, it is sort of silly and sort of confusing. There are no sets in table tennis: only games and matches.

Okay, that is at least what I think.

Does anyone think that, what I am referring to as games, should be called sets? Is there a reason why they should be called sets and how would they qualify as sets? What are they sets of?

Don't worry for my sanity. I am not really concerned about this. I just find it odd that ITTF announcers call the games sets and then fans follow suit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I don't think the tennis explanation of those words is universal. I believe volleyball has 'sets' too, while they play a best of 3 or 5 I believe (not sure). With 25 points for a set and the 5th set is till 15 points if I'm right. In table tennis we use both game and set for the same thing. I usually say game, but you can't deny a game is the just as a set (collection) of points :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Tennis probably is the only one that need to utilize all game, set, match in a different way. Due to that a player has to win at least 6 games in a set. But for other racket games, like TT, badminton, squash, they all only use game and match. Each match has either maximum or 3,5 or 7 games.