How to play against "wall" player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Though we would like to see a video a couple or three things have become apparent:-

1: our mysterious wall player can control the ball over the table
In fact this tells us that the wall guy has command of the “mddle game” or “table game” which is the essential that every player must have
service
return
push
block
all done with control and consstency and GOOD FOOTWORK

2. Our OP thinks he does not seem to be a strong player- why? because he does not play big shots
the above is the mark of a stronger player relatve to our OP. Sure he may not make service winners or have big loop shots, but he does have a functoning game that deals with all OP has to offer
3. Our OP capability to analyse and describe for us (or for hmself) in a clear discipliiined way the game of his opponent is lacking.
The ability to analyse ones own game and that of yr opponent is an essential skill that will make a huge difference to your developing game
Acquiring “middle game” skills of your own would very soon elevate your game

get to work!
good luck

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well I didnt say he's not a good player. I just said his style is not one you would typically identify as a strong player.

Theres a reason Koki Niwa isnt as good as Ma Long.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Well he doesn't have the techniques that you would typically identify as being a good player.

Sorry for the late reply on this one.

Your comment right here is half the problem.

You don't see many unconventional players on YouTube, or in the Pro's or on Forums - Every "good" player always seems to play a nice traditional game.....

The reality is very different at the top of the amateur ranks.

I can think of a very good player who has been at the top of our local leagues for a long time that plays in a similar manner to how you describe (all be it with a SH grip rather than PH).

You'd look at him and think "ahhhhh, he doesn't look that good" - And then his average at the end of the year would be 90% + because he is very very good at what he does (block, move you around, finish the easy balls).

So, firstly..... Don't think he's a weaker player because he can't loop that well. It sounds like he's actually a very solid player.

Secondly, my advice has already been mentioned.....

Change the spin up - Don't get bogged down in his game of a consistent backhand to backhand shot..... As you've said, you'll lose it.

Spin it up, step around on your FH, change the speed and angles of your shots.

Basically, do anything put play a comfortable, same speed rally.

Whilst you do have time to set yourself up, I find the longer the rally goes on, the more chance they have, so I try and attack early - Especially off the back of my serve.

But seeing videos of the match would be a big help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Well I didnt say he's not a good player. I just said his style is not one you would typically identify as a strong player.

The point is, I would identify him as a strong player relative to you and so should you, because he is beating you in the very area which defines a strong player:
control of himself of the ball and through the ball his opponent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

OK but lets focus on YOUR GAME and that of Mr Wall
Why did you respond negatvely to suggestions of different placement?
But look my purpose is not to be harsh for the sake of it ,
But to convey that the success toolbox contains not only
Loops
kills
super serves
but also

the MIDDLE GAME that Enables the attacking game by controlling the opponent through the ball

Analysis that enables understanding of the game and creating successful tactics.

Developing your game should not be just making yr FH bigger but learning the tools and tactics which will allow you to deploy it with success