Speed ratings of old blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
I have 2 blades, one a Rosskopf Tango from the early 1990’s and a waldner senso carbon that I bought a couple of years ago.
The Tango is a 5 ply all wood that when I bought it was I think rated off+ the wsc is off- but is said be on the slow side of that.
Now I have never done any kind of controlled test, but I would be fairly sure that the wsc is faster than the old tango. Are modern blades much faster than older ones but we still use the same categories to describe them? Or is my perception just wildly off.

The difference is a larger ball. 40+mm diameter vs 38mm. A larger ball is slower so therefore I would assume that the speed ratings are a little different today. Your perception seem good.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Airoc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Or is my perception just wildly off.
I don´t think it is.
DONIC has made some corrections to their product descriptions, here´s what they say about the Persson Pwerplay: By current standards this is a moderately offensive blade.
When it first appeared, it was certainly one of the faster blades around.
There is certainly a tendency for new products to be a little faster than old products, but as always it is hard to generalize.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Thanks for the replies, good to know my touch isn’t quite that horrible😂
(Now wondering how slow the Bettine Vrieskoop ALL? blade that I had before the Tango would play…
Also trying to remember what happened to it and why I no longer have it)