Blade sealer test

With the oil products (linseed and the other one) You not protecting much really. It fills the pores but don't harden for months it takes up space so the water does not penetrate. It is good to use on wood products that live outdoors but it needs to be touched up every once in a while because the water forces it out.
I would definitely (and is) use one of the "real" varnishes.

I find it funny someone even come to think of using linseed oil as a sealer. It will protect the wood Yes but only to a certain level, it will also protect it from rotting and it will enhance the look but on a tt blade we need the sealer for 2 things. Protection from water and from damage when replacing the rubber and here a varnish is far better.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: lodro

Thank you for this, very useful, as usual from you. Would you recommend sealing the handle, as some people do, to prevent moisture accumulation that can change the weight balance of the blade? Or would that make the handle too slippery?

I actually use linseed oil on the handle if it’s a soft light wood. If it’s a harder wood like teak or wenge it’s no use, leave it naked.

Cheers
L-zr

do you use boiled or not- boiled oil ?

Either or but boiled is to prefer since it hardens better. Raw penetrates better but doesn’t harden good. Boiled penetrates less but hardens. If I want to treat a piece of wood for the outdoors I start with a few layers raw oil to penetrate and a few layers of boiled on top. It’s kind of sealing.But be prepared to wait for a long time for it to harden properly.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: lodro