Stop someone from buying to fast rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hello,

I have someone in my club who plays now for 7 years.
He is not the best and now he said screaw it i buy bluestorm z1 in max and 2.1 on a Boll ALC. Why? Because he like Timo Boll and he wants to attack. I wanted to stop him but i have no chance xD
He said why should i lern the technique with slow rubbers, if i have to relearnt it, with fast rubbers, i can learn it directly with fast rubber. On this sentence i didnt have an answer sadly xD
His TTR are 1200 and he play for 7 years now and is 24 or 25.

He doenst win much anyway and now i have the fear he will lose even more becauce of this equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I am afraid he will than quit table tennis if he keeps losing with this fast equipment.

Maybe i am wrong and this is exactly what he needs xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Maybe i am wrong and this is exactly what he needs xD
Probably not, then again if he wants to be an attacking player his new setup might support that better than a slow setup mostly recommended to those players to "properly learn".
There´s no guarantee he´ll win less, as there´s no guarantee he´ll win more. Probability may be on your side, but just let him have his way.

Generally, just imagine you are fully convinced of your setup and someone comes along and suggests a faster/slower one. Would you go for it or do you think you have made the right decisions yourself? Who would it have to be to make such a suggestion for you to follow it?

And that is probably his point of view, too.

Reactions: Haraold and lodro
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
So we got a TTR 1200 level player who refuses to listen to sound advice... hmm... this is not the first time in this sport this has happened. 90%+ of USA TT players of TTR 1200 level are like this.

Embrace it and invite him to come on to TT forums and make 100 threads per year on H3 and BTY ALC while he tears his ALC, MCL, and rotator cuff in the next 2 years showing off for the forum vids.

I have always supported the idea that the old timer pundit way presented as the ONLY way is wrong. That is still true. Other ways can be effective. Sure, he can learn the touch and the impact if he gets effective training. Also true is why the old timer pundit recommended slower middle of the road equipment to have the player develop. Why is that sound? It makes it EASY to feel the ball and make a topspin to develop sound impact. That method has time and data results on its side.

Ask him to start coaching you for racks of Hefewiessen or Dopplebock, hear what 1200 got to say... the price of the beer might be worth the hilarious humor you gunna hear.

Reactions: turbozed

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hello,

I have someone in my club who plays now for 7 years.
He is not the best and now he said screaw it i buy bluestorm z1 in max and 2.1 on a Boll ALC. Why? Because he like Timo Boll and he wants to attack. I wanted to stop him but i have no chance xD
He said why should i lern the technique with slow rubbers, if i have to relearnt it, with fast rubbers, i can learn it directly with fast rubber. On this sentence i didnt have an answer sadly xD
His TTR are 1200 and he play for 7 years now and is 24 or 25.

He doenst win much anyway and now i have the fear he will lose even more becauce of this equipment.

Harsh opinion incoming......

If he's not very good after 7 years, I don't think changing his equipment is going to make any difference (assuming he's not going to start having coaching).

He might as well use something that makes him happy.....

Now, if he decided to get coaching, I'd recommend something different.

Reactions: SamTheMan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sometimes people have to try things. It is not the biggest thing in the world. If he gets that setup and ends up with worse results, the question will be, will he figure out what is going on. Still, in the end, the decisions are up to him. If you have explained the issue, then he may see it when he can't control the new setup.

Reactions: Haraold and lodro

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Personally I doubt he will get much worse results. TTR 1200 ~ usatt 1500 is a level of play that tolerates many unforced errors. Probably he will adjust to the faster rubbers and still play pretty much the same like himself. Maybe the wild misses will be wilder, and the occasional brilliant winners will be brilianter.

In general changing equipment has little or no effect on your level. Playing level is mostly made up of game understanding, serve and receive training, fitness, anticipation, footwork, timing, everything but equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Stopping someone buying fast/wrong equipment.... erm ... 15-20 beers a good meal and there you go no money to buy the new kit...
Orrrrr a bat of another kind .... Ah that inner monologue going off again!..

It's hard ...people will always love to try new things in TT and as long as they enjoy the ride ...jobs a good one. It's a step up after the years playing but hopefully they will find a new lease of energy from it. Orrrr someone will get a good deal on a nearly new setup at the club 😀