Tennis Elbow - help!

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
My first post and it's quite a painful one.

After playing table tennis for over 20 years, my right arm has decided it would like to experience Tennis elbow. It started with a twinge in January and has been getting worse (definitely spoilt the latter part of my season). Anyway, it's now approx 3 weeks since I last hit a ball and the arm still shows no sign of improvement.

I've tried strong painkillers and gels but they only (briefly) mask discomfort. I don't really want to go with a cort injection (heard long-term it's not good for your health). I even consulted my local GP. He just told me to keep taking the tablets and buy an elbow Clasp. Thanks a lot, doc.

So, what next? Well here's where you come in, hopefully. I'm sure someone on this site has endured TE. What did you do to get rid of it? How long did it last? Any advice/alternative therapy suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

PS. No, I'm not going to learn to play left handed!

Reactions: aspitalak
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are lots of stretches for the forearm that can really help tennis elbow. Since it is a repetitive strain injury, it also needs rest. You might look up stretches for tennis elbow. If I get a chance to make photos of some of the stretches I will post them. But they are similar to the stretches that a drummer would do for his forearms for playing drums.

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
There are lots of stretches for the forearm that can really help tennis elbow. Since it is a repetitive strain injury, it also needs rest. You might look up stretches for tennis elbow. If I get a chance to make photos of some of the stretches I will post them. But they are similar to the stretches that a drummer would do for his forearms for playing drums.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some Google research tomorrow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
My first post and it's quite a painful one.

After playing table tennis for over 20 years, my right arm has decided it would like to experience Tennis elbow. It started with a twinge in January and has been getting worse (definitely spoilt the latter part of my season). Anyway, it's now approx 3 weeks since I last hit a ball and the arm still shows no sign of improvement.

I've tried strong painkillers and gels but they only (briefly) mask discomfort. I don't really want to go with a cort injection (heard long-term it's not good for your health). I even consulted my local GP. He just told me to keep taking the tablets and buy an elbow Clasp. Thanks a lot, doc.

So, what next? Well here's where you come in, hopefully. I'm sure someone on this site has endured TE. What did you do to get rid of it? How long did it last? Any advice/alternative therapy suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

PS. No, I'm not going to learn to play left handed!

One thing you can try if you are using handshake now, try penhold, that's what I am doing when I have a feeling of Tennis elbow coming I play CPen or JPen and now I can play table tennis in all style (shake, Jpen, Cpen). By using different style your other muscle are activated and thus relieve of the pain and recovery come naturally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
For me, I was using my knee brace from time to time when I feel my knee does not well. Instead of elbow clasp, you might want to try the elbow brace, like what basketball player use in nowadays. You might try to hit the ball not so hard for sometimes though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I too suffered from TE and was using dyclofenac to kill the pain. But I was suggested to use elbow supports and used it for about a couple of months and the pain is gone now but it comes back occasionally but use the strap again for a couple of weeks and it settled down. After an year or so using the strap on and off my elbow feels a lot better.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Any more advice on Tennis Elbow would be welcome. I have had it for 2+ months now. I have not been playing much and have bought myself a twist bar to do some gentle stretch exercises (Tyler Twist) and a strap I have worn a couple of times to play. It is a little better but can feel sore if I play.

It would be really good to hear from people who have had it and recovered. How long did it take and what did they do about playing and exercises etc?

Obviously I have withdrawal symptoms from not playing enough now:( and am torn between (a) continuing to play say once per week but possibly this is risking ever recovering properly and (b) stopping playing altogether for the 6 months to 2 years the NHS site says it can take to recover ?!!

(I guess being early 50s doesnt help, but hellfire I was hoping for a 30 year TT career by which time I would be as good as Samsonov)