Should i stay with equipment i am succesful or switch

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello,

my best season i had with my long pips but now i am thinking if i should stay with them or if i should switch to normal equipment.
I mean i like winning and if my opponents rage over the long pips but also i think playing an attacking styl is nice and awesome as wel.
But with normal rubbers i was always worse than with long pips, so i dont know what to do

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
More context needed. How long have you been playing? How long have you played with long pips? Video of a recent match?

Thank you :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I am playing for 13 years and i am 28 years
Long pips i was playing the 2 last and 3 last season because last season we was in a very low class and i didnt needed it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
There is a reason why long pips is considered the dark side. It can be seductively easy and powerful but ultimately limiting if you hope to get really good or win against really good players. Are you playing defensively with long pips or just blocking with it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I only played 2 years with long pips so no 13 years xD

In my class, there is no topspin, the push and smash and just a few play topspin.

So more to annoy the opponent and twiddle a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Well i dont want to lose of course

and i think long pips feels like cheating

My 2 options are

Stiga Def Pro with Vega Europe 1,8 and Friendship 755 Mystery 3 0,8

or

Butterfly Innerforce ZLF with hexer Grip 2,1 and Bluestorm Z3 1,9

Last edited:
says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Well i dont want to lose of course and i think long pips feels like cheating
Well I think this is the topic you are mainly concerned about. What others think of it and the negative reactions of your opponents if they lose.
But they don't accept the fact, that their capabilities are limited to use the downsides of long pips to their advantage.
As long as you don't modify your pips and play a rubber from the LARC list, you shouldn't feel intimidated...
This should not be a reason for you to change. At your age I would be more worried about the fact, that being successful will sooner or later lead to higher class opponents, which certain have the abilities and wining will become less likely. And with long pips your capabilities to adapt are limited. So if you want to change your material it should be in the light of where you want to play in 2-5 years.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
The heck am i reading. Everyone who hates playing against you because of your choice of equipment, they suck.

If you like playing with this style and win games with it, you should stick to it. If you get to higher levels people will stop hating around because they can play and know if they lose against pips, you were the better player or they played bad overall.

In my case, i love to play against pipsout players, because they give me enough time to hit the crap out of nearly every ball. Therefore i can get many points quite easily. Other players hit too weak and are uncapable of using their brain and therefore dont dont know what the long pip rubber does to their loop for example. Their fault, not yours for using them.

On top it makes playing more stressfull and exciting because you have to learn more different strokes. You need to move faster vertically and change your body position more frequently than both sides attacking players. While they have to move their body more parallel you have to rotate more to get the right foot (for right handed players) in front of you for decent chops for example.

Overall it is another playstyle which is quite fun and makes tabletennis more exciting to play even as an opponent

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Stay with the long pips. You can attack with your fh, it is inverted right? And you are pretty young, 28, so probably you can move and play a lot of forehands.

If you want to learn backhand attack maybe practice twiddling. then you can backhand attack on an easy ball, also forehand attack over maybe 75% of the table, and block with the pips only as much as the average inverted player backhand blocks anyway. Only your blocks would be a lot nastier. Check Manika Batra's matches on youtube to see the style. Or any of the 100 Indian women players who imitated her after Batra won Commonwealth games.

It's not easy to learn to twiddle in matches. But when you do you will for sure move up to a level where the players are better and know how to play against long pimples without so much whining and crying about it. Their whining is not a sign that you are cheating, it only shows that your opponents suck at table tennis.

Not exactly. If you are competitive player playing in a league or tournament it is mostly about winning (if you will accept gracefully the misery of losing.
I hate it when players claim that they are playing just for fun only when they lose or when I sugegst they do some disciplined drills with focus & objectives & goals.

I play mostly for exercise (& to be social ..........well actually anti-social by torturing them with my long pips) & no longer play matches at casual club sessions for health reasons (back issues) but lot of players hate me for this

Poor you,.
You should learn how to have fun.🙃

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: latej and Attitude
I've been playing for nearly 20 years the last 5 years I was playing short pimples on my B.H !!! I have a strong F.H loop so I mainly blocked and pushed on my B.H,The last six months I found Medium pimples and wow my B.H is now a weapon!!!! It's never been this good !!!! When I attack I get so many free points mainly by my opponent s passive blocking and the ball goes into the net !!!! I use my medium pimples to attack mainly!!! A skill I never really had with inverted!!!! I can attack backspin or topspin so much better than ever before on my B.H.My opponents now say my B.H is stronger now than my F.H so I'm sorry if I'm cheating!!!! I've never been happier with my around game!!! I'm going to be cheating as long as I can play lol 😂🤣😂

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There is a reason why long pips is considered the dark side. It can be seductively easy and powerful but ultimately limiting if you hope to get really good or win against really good players. Are you playing defensively with long pips or just blocking with it?

If you mean world champion then you are right but there are plenty of 2000+ level choppers who can beat most inverted players, especially if they can forehand loop.

So I wouldn't say a recreational player limits himself when he is chopping but you should be able to attack with forehand if you want to be good.

I would just pick the style I enjoy most as ab adult recreational player. So if you enjoy chopping then go for it but if you feel bad while winning maybe use another style that you enjoy more because at the amateur level it is all about enjoying to play

Reactions: Brs