Viscaria for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Ok for bh for now. Later you might wanna switch to ten05

Tempted to buy one of these

3b3f39d936ac763472d67d1e1d978e17.jpg

I would suggest that you keep the Butterfly Viscaria blade, then use DHS hurricane 3 provincial orange sponge on forehand, super sticky and spinny rubber, great combo with carbon blade. Then on backhand I would recommend the Butterfly Roundell Soft rubber speed control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Hello everyone, a friend of mine gave me a Viscaria and i would like to ask if a beginner like me can use it. I plan to put butterfly sriver on the FH and Flextra on the BH. Would this be okay? I read that the rubbers i mentioned are for beginners.
I have played table tennis just for recreation when i was in college but would like to play again with serious coaching to be able to hone my skill.
your thoughts?

Hello Shooter40. I believe that a Viscaria may just be a bit fast for a beginner, and more challenging to learn the basic strokes, but since you have one, no harm in giving it a try. It is one of the most popular blades around and for good reason. It's just that a beginner cannot truly unleash the potential of the blade. I would recommend other blades suitable for beginners and as you progress in skill level move to using a Viscaria.

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Sorry guys, but it’s really unbelievable and questionable , that you’re advising a Viscaria blade to a beginner. Viscaria is definitely not for beginners since it’s a fast and stiff blade which does NOT support the development of an appropriate technique. It’s the opposite way. Using such blades too early, hinders you from ever learning a good technique. This in fact means, that most of the players out there will never be able to control such a blade properly. Most people using such fast blades suffer from using them and would be much better with slower blades.
By the way: my personal rating is above 1800 German ttr, being and equivalent of more than 2100 USA ttr, and I Still play with a slower blade than Viscaria…

I totally agree

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hello everyone, a friend of mine gave me a Viscaria and i would like to ask if a beginner like me can use it. I plan to put butterfly sriver on the FH and Flextra on the BH. Would this be okay? I read that the rubbers i mentioned are for beginners.
I have played table tennis just for recreation when i was in college but would like to play again with serious coaching to be able to hone my skill.
your thoughts?

As ever, it's not a straightforward answer, but I'll try and keep it brief.

Advantages of a FREE Viscaria:

• It's Free. I'm from the UK, so right now, saving money is high on the list of things to do! 😂
• You can *try* the blade, and see what it's like for you without having to invest in a new blade.

Disadvantages of a FREE Viscaria:

• If money is not an issue, a Viscaria is generally far too fast for a beginner (we don't know your level, and I've seen some OK players describe themselves as a beginner, but also some very very poor players who haven't been playing for long).

• If you really want to improve, and the blade IS too fast, it'll slow down your improvement dramatically.

So, taking money out of it, and with what little information we have, I would say that the Viscaria IS too fast.

For what it's worth, I believe the Viscaria is too fast for MOST people, and those who use it, could probably benefit from using a slower blade anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012

• It's Free. I'm from the UK, so right now, saving money is high on the list of things to do! 😂
• You can *try* the blade, and see what it's like for you without having to invest in a new blade.

• If money is not an issue, a Viscaria is generally far too fast for a beginner (we don't know your level, and I've seen some OK players describe themselves as a beginner, but also some very very poor players who haven't been playing for long).

• If you really want to improve, and the blade IS too fast, it'll slow down your improvement dramatically.

So, taking money out of it, and with what little information we have, I would say that the Viscaria IS too fast.

For what it's worth, I believe the Viscaria is too fast for MOST people, and those who use it, could probably benefit from using a slower blade anyway.

precisely, yes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

• It's Free. I'm from the UK, so right now, saving money is high on the list of things to do! [emoji23]

Will put very slow rubbers to compensate for the speed. Tks!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

• Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
It is not only the speed of the blade that makes it challenging for a beginner. Viscaria is also very stiff which makes it more difficult to spin the ball. Putting on slow rubbers will not help making the blade more flexible.

I'm not saying it is ideal blade for a beginner. But I disagree with the claim that it is very stiff. I have Viscaria, it has quite good support for spinning (feeling of hold) the ball. This 1st hand feeling corresponds with findings by the ttgearlab (there is often TimoBoll ALC), check if you want. I do not own many blades, but let's say XVT ZL Koto (outer ZLC), Yinhe V16 (outer ALC), and even Stiga Infinity VPS, all feel stiffer to me. I really don't think Viscaria is an example of a stiff blade. As I say, I would not recommend to beginner. The feedback from outer ALC in Viscaria tells me drive, drive, drive. I now have inner ALC blade. And I believe inner ALC blade with slow rubbers like H3 H37 is a good setup especially for adult beginners. Of course not all people enjoy the dense sponge. I do. And I made such setup for my friend too. So if OP wants to keep Viscaria, or play with it for some time, I don't think this is so bad situation. I hope that explain my position. And I will not fight about it. But you're from Sweden, like Richie, so I reply :) Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I'm not saying it is ideal blade for a beginner. But I disagree with the claim that it is very stiff. I have Viscaria, it has quite good support for spinning (feeling of hold) the ball. This 1st hand feeling corresponds with findings by the ttgearlab (there is often TimoBoll ALC), check if you want. I do not own many blades, but let's say XVT ZL Koto (outer ZLC), Yinhe V16 (outer ALC), and even Stiga Infinity VPS, all feel stiffer to me. I really don't think Viscaria is an example of a stiff blade. As I say, I would not recommend to beginner. The feedback from outer ALC in Viscaria tells me drive, drive, drive. I now have inner ALC blade. And I believe inner ALC blade with slow rubbers like H3 H37 is a good setup especially for adult beginners. Of course not all people enjoy the dense sponge. I do. And I made such setup for my friend too. So if OP wants to keep Viscaria, or play with it for some time, I don't think this is so bad situation. I hope that explain my position. And I will not fight about it. But you're from Sweden, like Richie, so I reply :) Cheers.

I agree - I would not describe it as a stiff blade. It may be crisp and direct, but not stiff. I find it good at generating spin and is manageable from a speed perspective if not paired with super fast rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Sorry guys, but it’s really unbelievable and questionable , that you’re advising a Viscaria blade to a beginner. Viscaria is definitely not for beginners since it’s a fast and stiff blade which does NOT support the development of an appropriate technique. It’s the opposite way. Using such blades too early, hinders you from ever learning a good technique. This in fact means, that most of the players out there will never be able to control such a blade properly. Most people using such fast blades suffer from using them and would be much better with slower blades.
By the way: my personal rating is above 1800 German ttr, being and equivalent of more than 2100 USA ttr, and I Still play with a slower blade than Viscaria…

This is exactly what you need to hear in this thread and ignore all those saying Viscaria is a suitable beginner blade.
Can you use it? Yes of course. But if you want to develop feel, stroke and technique it will NOT help you as a beginner.
Go to your coach and ask them and if they recommend the Viscaria then spend your money on another coach.
The Viscaria is too fast, period, and it WILL hinder your development. You need to focus on 'feeling' if you wish to improve from beginner.
The wisdom of generations have long since agreed that a slower blade offering LOTS of feel and control when paired with suitable rubbers is the way for beginners to learn and advance more quickly.
Hard rubber on a flexible blade is teh way to go and as a beginner you need a slow flexible blade, NOT a Viscaria.
I will probably be slated for writing this but the fact that the Viscaria is free is twisting everything here. Nobody worth listening to would ever recommend Viscaria for a total beginner and if youre serious about learning and improving then that is what you have to keep in mind.
Shelf the Viscaria for now, and try it in a yr or so. uy a Yasaka Sweden Classic, or Sweden Extra. They're cheap and an ideal beginner blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

This is exactly what you need to hear in this thread and ignore all those saying Viscaria is a suitable beginner blade.
Can you use it? Yes of course. But if you want to develop feel, stroke and technique it will NOT help you as a beginner.
Go to your coach and ask them and if they recommend the Viscaria then spend your money on another coach.
The Viscaria is too fast, period, and it WILL hinder your development. You need to focus on 'feeling' if you wish to improve from beginner.
The wisdom of generations have long since agreed that a slower blade offering LOTS of feel and control when paired with suitable rubbers is the way for beginners to learn and advance more quickly.
Hard rubber on a flexible blade is teh way to go and as a beginner you need a slow flexible blade, NOT a Viscaria.
I will probably be slated for writing this but the fact that the Viscaria is free is twisting everything here. Nobody worth listening to would ever recommend Viscaria for a total beginner and if youre serious about learning and improving then that is what you have to keep in mind.
Shelf the Viscaria for now, and try it in a yr or so. uy a Yasaka Sweden Classic, or Sweden Extra. They're cheap and an ideal beginner blade.

I just finished training and the Viscaria with Sriver/Flextra was slow for me. I really exerted much effort in my drives for the ball to get over the net but what is surprising is that i tried my friend's Joola Vyzaryz HRD with Dignics05/Tenergy 19 and i really liked it! I had better shots and less physical effort.
f406f9171824662198639c9a4bafacbb.jpg

NDH

says Spin to win!
I just finished training and the Viscaria with Sriver/Flextra was slow for me. I really exerted much effort in my drives for the ball to get over the net but what is surprising is that i tried my friend's Joola Vyzaryz HRD with Dignics05/Tenergy 19 and i really liked it! I had better shots and less physical effort.
f406f9171824662198639c9a4bafacbb.jpg

It’s really hard to offer advice without seeing any video.

You described yourself as a beginner, and taking money out of the question, no one would recommend a Viscaria as a beginner blade.

If you are using it, and are happy, then great - That’s all that really matters. It’s a game, it’s supposed to be fun! 😃

However, if you want to improve and get better, I would just make one comment on what you said.

Your shots are supposed to have a lot of effort in them (it’s a physical sport).

If you are managing to get the ball back with little effort, it likely means your shots are not very spinny and you’ll probably lack control down the line.

The reason “slow” set ups are recommended for beginners is so they can put the effort into the shots, learn the stroke techniques without the fear of the ball sailing 50 feet off the table.

If you learn on a fast set up that requires little effort, you’ll never develop the technique to spin the ball (which typically requires fast arm speed and a good amount of effort in the stroke).

So really, it comes down to your priorities.

If money is no issue and you really want to improve, I’d suggest putting some video on here so we can see (or sending a private message to one of us), and then we can advise a little better.

If you simply want to have a bit more fun and not spend anything extra, you already have the perfect set up 😃

Reactions: SamTheMan
says [IMG]

You described yourself as a beginner, and taking money out of the question, no one would recommend a Viscaria as a beginner blade.

If you are using it, and are happy, then great - That’s all that really matters. It’s a game, it’s supposed to be fun! 😃

However, if you want to improve and get better, I would just make one comment on what you said.

Your shots are supposed to have a lot of effort in them (it’s a physical sport).

If you are managing to get the ball back with little effort, it likely means your shots are not very spinny and you’ll probably lack control down the line.

The reason “slow” set ups are recommended for beginners is so they can put the effort into the shots, learn the stroke techniques without the fear of the ball sailing 50 feet off the table.

If you learn on a fast set up that requires little effort, you’ll never develop the technique to spin the ball (which typically requires fast arm speed and a good amount of effort in the stroke).

If money is no issue and you really want to improve, I’d suggest putting some video on here so we can see (or sending a private message to one of us), and then we can advise a little better.

If you simply want to have a bit more fun and not spend anything extra, you already have the perfect set up 😃

Well said and fully agree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

If you are using it, and are happy, then great - That’s all that really matters. It’s a game, it’s supposed to be fun! [emoji2]

If you simply want to have a bit more fun and not spend anything extra, you already have the perfect set up [emoji2]

Well im not so much on the movement bec i had an acl knee surgery yrs ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I got my Vis earlier this year in Feburary or maybe March. I was rated about 1000 at my club at the time. I wanted to keep improving so i employed the services of an experienced USATT certified coach. Before I met him, we chatted and he asked me about my equipment. I told him i just got a viscaria and tenergy rubbers. He said he wishes i wouldn't have done that but he would still be willing to work with me.

Fast forward, until today, i'm rated almost 1300 and improving quickly every week. I've beaten players at my club that are rated 1700+. I would say i'm playng above the level of 1300, but many in my "cohort" are also improving quickly (we are all making each other better, its awesome!) so rising in points is a slow grind at my club.

Anyways, I think you can play with viscaria, but i would recommend using a coach. This way they can watch your technique carefully and correct any mistakes you are making. if you don't have a coach, too fast of a blade can be a big problem.

Reactions: jk1980 and latej