Does using speed glue permanently alter a rubber's characteristic?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Today I tried a friend's Hurricane 3 commercial. To my surprise, it was much faster and bouncier than my own un-boosted H3N commercial.

I asked him if he boosted it. He said he didn't boost it, but he glued it onto the blade with Haifu speed glue 1 week ago.

Given that 1 week had past, I wouldn't expect the speed glue effect to linger. But in this scenario, would the speed glue permanently alter the rubber at least to some degree?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Today I tried a friend's Hurricane 3 commercial. To my surprise, it was much faster and bouncier than my own un-boosted H3N commercial.

I asked him if he boosted it. He said he didn't boost it, but he glued it onto the blade with Haifu speed glue 1 week ago.

Given that 1 week had past, I wouldn't expect the speed glue effect to linger. But in this scenario, would the speed glue permanently alter the rubber at least to some degree?

The good old H3 commercial question 😂

Many professional testers in China concluded that - the sponge hardness in commercial H3 can vary like day and night. In fact you have to give it + & - 2 degree of the indicated hardness.

So your friend’s H3 and your H3 might be up to 4 degree difference.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
considering that the manufacturer suggests a total of 8 layers of glue, 5 on the rubbers and 3 on the blade,
one has to assume that this layer of glue itself might change the handling characteristics of a rubber, any rubber.

Whether there are permanent changes to the sponge or not might be proven if one takes the rubber off one side-
removes the speed glue - (if possible) and re-glue the rubber back on using the ole water-based glue.
Now the two rubber are either behaving different or are the same.
Naturally one would have to start this experiment with two identical rubbers.
But frankly my dear ..........................................😂

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
5 layers on the rubber… wtf.
That’s ridiculous, what a pain. I have other things to do except gluing.
I never use more than 1 layer on anything…

Cheers
L-zr
My withered memory tells me you are using your glue without letting it dry ?????????
If i remember this correctly, does it mean you just apply 1 layer of glue to either a rubber or the blade and immediately put the two together ???

of course the glue that Young Michael is referring to it is VOC glue so it only takes a minute to dry.
Not as fast as your method but faster than mine.
I apply 2-3 layers of water-based glue to the rubber and 1 to the blade and have to wait 15 to 20 minutes between
applying each layer, which is really a bit of a pain in the arse

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I apply 2-3 layers of water-based glue to the rubber and 1 to the blade and have to wait 15 to 20 minutes between applying each layer, which is really a bit of a pain in the arse

I use my wife's hair drier :)

If you don't have a wife, you will have to wait 20mins/layer forever. Sorry.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cytivrat
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I use my wife's hair drier :)

I got rid of my wife now i haven't got a hair dryer 😂
It isn't really too bad to glue the rubbers on with the waterbased glue.
But when I saw how easy it is to apply the 5 layer of the haifuu speed glue it made me think.
There is really no waiting at all, one could apply all 8 layers in about 5 minutes flat

The good old H3 commercial question 😂

Many professional testers in China concluded that - the sponge hardness in commercial H3 can vary like day and night. In fact you have to give it + & - 2 degree of the indicated hardness.

So your friend’s H3 and your H3 might be up to 4 degree difference.

what about provincial versions of the H3? The one that we can order from AliExpress (legit ones), do they also have this kind of diversity in terms of hardness ?

My withered memory tells me you are using your glue without letting it dry ?????????
If i remember this correctly, does it mean you just apply 1 layer of glue to either a rubber or the blade and immediately put the two together ???

of course the glue that Young Michael is referring to it is VOC glue so it only takes a minute to dry.
Not as fast as your method but faster than mine.
I apply 2-3 layers of water-based glue to the rubber and 1 to the blade and have to wait 15 to 20 minutes between
applying each layer, which is really a bit of a pain in the arse

Yes I do one layer on each but without drying. This is because I want thinnest layer possible but I need to put some pressure on it and it dries for 1/2 -1 hour

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

what about provincial versions of the H3? The one that we can order from AliExpress (legit ones), do they also have this kind of diversity in terms of hardness ?

Not as much. Provincial versions have much higher QC. But you have to compare orange to orange or blue to blue. At the same hardness, orange sponge feels a but more crisp and linear.

Reactions: mihalichtheone

my glue, the revolution3 , when put together, wet will need at least a day to dry completely ☹

I use revolution 3 too the middle viscosity I think I use it after an hour no problem. But I think a higher viscosity would be better for my method. Depending on the rubber too much is sucked up.
So next time I will get the highest viscosity.

Cheers
Lze

Not as much. Provincial versions have much higher QC. But you have to compare orange to orange or blue to blue. At the same hardness, orange sponge feels a but more crisp and linear.

I actually have national version (white package) H3. Without booster it's pretty hard to do killer top spin, because the sponge just doesn't hold the ball.
With orange it's slower, but I can feel that it sinks in the rubber and can produce loopkills. Spin with booster is around the same, may be a little better for blue sponge.
Good for me I guess, less money to spend :)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I use revolution 3 too the middle viscosity I think I use it after an hour no problem. But I think a higher viscosity would be better for my method. Depending on the rubber too much is sucked up.
So next time I will get the highest viscosity.

Cheers
Lze

Yep, highest viscosity is what i use but sometimes i give it a small shot of thinned down amonia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

A rubber is, well, a piece of rubber. Once it’s deformed it’s deformed. Somehow people still think boosting it is like overclocking a cpu or something and then you can reclock it to the baseline.

There are things like - speed effect lasts for 1 - 5 weeks blah blah. These are just arbitrary numbers so we sorta expect how much we can get out of the work. It’s not like after that timeframe it suddenly comes back to its original clock.

I’ve played with H3 Pro 40 ranging from 61-71gram, let alone commercial. But well what you’ve felt is probably more about speed glue, if it’s that easily noticeable.