TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews

Backhand rubber for beginner, nittaku acoustic.

Hello. I'm a beginner. My backhand is bad, I've still got a lot of work to do on it, especially loops.
    I own a nittaku acoustic as my first blade with Rakza 7 2.0mm on FH and Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on BH.
    I like the Rakza 7 on FH, feels like a solid rubber, but the rakza 7 soft on BH, while it's okay,to me it feels weird, because of the softness. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels as if the ball sinks into the rubber, then takes a little long to fly off.
    Should I be looking into getting a harder rubber instead? If so, what are some good BH rubbers to pair with the acoustic(at my level)?
    Last edited by folie; 09-24-2022 at 01:27 PM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 82 339
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 339 82
    maybe a Nittaku Factive or a Vega Intro. Gl in your search.
    In the Practice of Tolerance,One´s Enemy is the best Teacher.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 1,039 915
    B
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 915 1,039

User Info Menu

Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    Read 0 Reviews
    What happens if you flip your bat and play backhands with the R7 regular? You don't have to use two different rubbers, R7 both sides could be fine.

The Following User Likes Brs's Post:

alas26, SamTheMan

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraold
    maybe a Nittaku Factive or a Vega Intro. Gl in your search.
    The Factive looks interesting, good reviews as a bh rubber. I see people saying it lacks a bit of power. Would you be able to compare it to rakza 7 soft? (or even the rakza 7, since I can directly compare r7 to r7s)
    Last edited by folie; 09-24-2022 at 02:32 PM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brs
    What happens if you flip your bat and play backhands with the R7 regular? You don't have to use two different rubbers, R7 both sides could be fine.
    I will have to try that. I've tried it in a practice game, but it was so awkward switching around that I quickly gave up and didn't even think of trying it again in regular practice.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 144 457
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 457 144
    I think that your setup is quite nice and allround. I think that you need to practice a lot before changing these rubbers. They might be a notch too fast and bouncy for a first bat but with the 2.0mm sponge, still ok. Practice the technique and footwork and give that a year before starting to change setup. After that time you will be more aware of what you like or lack in this setup.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 76 487
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 487 76
    If you are a beginner start using a 5 ply good all round blade like Stiga ARC or similar.
    No more political prisoners in Catalonia.

says getting older means having to play smarter.

Established TTD Member 69 136
    W
    says getting older means having to play smarter.

Established TTD Member 136 69

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    If you think the soft rubbers feel weird, then harder rubbers are more suitable for you. Don't let outdated ideas from people who don't realize the game has changed due to the plastic balls give you bad advice. I'd go with a medium hard rubber like the Fastarc G1 or even what you are using for your forehand currently if you like how they feel in your backhand.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 252 1,734
    M
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,734 252

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by folie
    Hello. I'm a beginner. My backhand is bad, I've still got a lot of work to do on it, especially loops.
    I own a nittaku acoustic as my first blade with Rakza 7 2.0mm on FH and Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on BH.
    I like the Rakza 7 on FH, feels like a solid rubber, but the rakza 7 soft on BH, while it's okay,to me it feels weird, because of the softness. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels as if the ball sinks into the rubber, then takes a little long to fly off.
    Should I be looking into getting a harder rubber instead? If so, what are some good BH rubbers to pair with the acoustic(at my level)?

I recommend you save some money if you're a beginner. Try Moon Speed or AK47. They only cost $13, and are 98% similar to Vega, which is often recommended to beginners.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang

I recommend you save some money if you're a beginner. Try Moon Speed or AK47. They only cost $13, and are 98% similar to Vega, which is often recommended to beginners.

Moon speed seems to be another soft rubber. I don't see a reason to change from rakza 7 soft to it.
    The ak47 with yellow sponge may be an alternative. I'll look into it.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin el mago
    If you are a beginner start using a 5 ply good all round blade like Stiga ARC or similar.

The Acoustic is a 5 ply wood blade, not ALL, but I don't think it's that much faster than the violin which was my first choice, but not in stock sadly. I already own the Acoustic, so buying another 5 ply seems like a waste of money.

The Following User Likes folie's Post:

Equaaz

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTT
    If you think the soft rubbers feel weird, then harder rubbers are more suitable for you. Don't let outdated ideas from people who don't realize the game has changed due to the plastic balls give you bad advice. I'd go with a medium hard rubber like the Fastarc G1 or even what you are using for your forehand currently if you like how they feel in your backhand.

I'll test the fh rubber on some bh practice tomorrow and see if I like it or if it's too fast. I could potentially get a r7 in 1.8mm sponge if I like the feel.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mocker88
    I think that your setup is quite nice and allround. I think that you need to practice a lot before changing these rubbers. They might be a notch too fast and bouncy for a first bat but with the 2.0mm sponge, still ok. Practice the technique and footwork and give that a year before starting to change setup. After that time you will be more aware of what you like or lack in this setup.

I don't doubt it's more or less appropriate for my level. I'm just exploring alternatives, since my choice of bh rubber feels a bit odd. It may be me, or it may just be the rubber, I'll know when I test a bit more I suppose, but your point is valid.

The Following User Likes folie's Post:

mocker88

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 252 1,734
    M
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,734 252

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews

Moon speed seems to be another soft rubber. I don't see a reason to change from rakza 7 soft to it.
    The ak47 with yellow sponge may be an alternative. I'll look into it.

Moon speed comes in hardness choice of soft, medium, hard. Medium is definitely harder than rakza 7 soft.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang

Moon speed comes in hardness choice of soft, medium, hard. Medium is definitely harder than rakza 7 soft.

I see. I've only checked revspin stats at the time. I'll look more into it.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 76 487
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 487 76

The Acoustic is a 5 ply wood blade, not ALL, but I don't think it's that much faster than the violin which was my first choice, but not in stock sadly. I already own the Acoustic, so buying another 5 ply seems like a waste of money.

Isn't all round, it seems you prefer to waste your time.

How much weights the Acoustic?

No more political prisoners in Catalonia.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

the Rakza 7 is more on the tackier side,the Factive is a solid Entry Level tensor with grip.
    Can´t compare to the Rakza 7 soft sry.
    It is a solid rubber not spiking in Speed or Spin department,so you can´t generate as much spin as with a Rakza 7 (in my opinion) but on the other hand you ar not as sensitive to incoming spin.
    It has its strengths in pressing and counterpunch/block but can also be played quite steady on BH loops etc.
    If you play far away from the table you have to apply more force or frontal impact instead of tangential force to lift the ball up.
    Talking about the Factive,G1 is also quite popular but also somewhat more demanding,so i always thought of the Factive as a rubber to start then switch to the Fastarc series.
    Gl on your Journey,other options are also viable and probably more budget friendly,altough i have to say the Factive lasts a long time for a a reasonable amount.

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 481 1,094
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,094 481

User Info Menu

@Haraold
    Rakza 7 is not tacky one bit.

Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

well more grippy then the factive,but definitely not Skyline Style
    when i tested the Rakza i could lift the ball up for 1-2 seconds,that is not possible with the Factive.
    But compared to a skyline or something you are definitely right,should have mentioned i meant in comparison Rakza and Factive.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 15
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 15 2

User Info Menu

Sep 2022
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraold
    the Rakza 7 is more on the tackier side,the Factive is a solid Entry Level tensor with grip.
    Can´t compare to the Rakza 7 soft sry.
    It is a solid rubber not spiking in Speed or Spin department,so you can´t generate as much spin as with a Rakza 7 (in my opinion) but on the other hand you ar not as sensitive to incoming spin.
    It has its strengths in pressing and counterpunch/block but can also be played quite steady on BH loops etc.
    If you play far away from the table you have to apply more force or frontal impact instead of tangential force to lift the ball up.
    Talking about the Factive,G1 is also quite popular but also somewhat more demanding,so i always thought of the Factive as a rubber to start then switch to the Fastarc series.
    Gl on your Journey,other options are also viable and probably more budget friendly,altough i have to say the Factive lasts a long time for a a reasonable amount.

If I changed my FH to 1.8 G1, would that be about as fast as the 2.0 R7? (not considering changing it, but I want to use that as a kind of benchmark to understand G1)

Last edited by folie; 09-26-2022 at 01:43 PM.