Back to Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 196 419
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 419 196

    User Info Menu

    #1

    Forehand contact point

    HI all

    I have been working on my contact quality recently aswell as where I make contact with the ball - due to the fairly high level of dust in my shed I am blessed/cursed with a lot of ball marks on my rubber when using my robot
    - see pic.

    Given I am reading that the optimum place for contact for a topspin FH is towards the top quarter of the blade (3/3) I was really surprised to see how far away I am from this placement.

    It is quite challenging to move the contact point as in order to do so it feels as though I am too far away from the ball - although I am obviously not.

    I am keen to hear any thoughts on this and if you have considered or looked at where you make contact?

    Cheers

    Peter


  2. Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 196 516
    D
    Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 516 196

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2017
    Germany
    516
    196
    232
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    I'm not an expert but I think in the middle is fine but you should work on making the mark pattern smaller.

    I have seen some videos of pro rackets and basically it was all worn out at like a tennis ball sized spot.

    Easier said than done of course.

    The Following User Likes Dominikk85's Post:

    Takkyu_wa_inochi


  3. Attitude is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 202 370
    Attitude's Avatar
    Attitude is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 202
    #3
    Yeah i do the same and check it every now and then, especially if i hit a stroke and the ball miss or flew different than i expected.
    actually this is common practise as even pros do this if they hit the ball and it felt weird. Somekind of qualitycontrol for your own strokes.

    The Following User Likes Attitude's Post:

    ttarc


  4. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 370 727
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 727 370

    User Info Menu

    #4
    Get a rebound board, that'll help you with your consistency a lot. With forehand drive, I can manage to hit the ball in roughly a 3x3cm circle, about 1/3 the way to the top of the blade.

  5. Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 196 419
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 419 196

    User Info Menu

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGaGa
    Get a rebound board, that'll help you with your consistency a lot. With forehand drive, I can manage to hit the ball in roughly a 3x3cm circle, about 1/3 the way to the top of the blade.

    Interesting - thx.

    How do you adjust the contact - move further away physically?


  6. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 370 727
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 727 370

    User Info Menu

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty67

    Interesting - thx.

    How do you adjust the contact - move further away physically?

    Not really, the rebound board is all about consistency on your part, so if you can hit say 200 in a roll, you’ll definitely be hitting on roughly the same position on your paddle.

    The Following User Likes DukeGaGa's Post:

    Wrighty67


  7. IB66 is offline
    says Table Tennis England Level 1 coach
     
    Elite TTD Member 719 1,305
    I
    IB66 is offline
    says Table Tennis England Level 1 coach
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,305 719

    User Info Menu

    #7
    I was thinking how you could adjust to get an impact point a little more towards the end of the blade, the last 3rd, maybe give yourself a little more room, but I think it's more of a case of hitting balls!!
    How to ensure you are hitting the right spot ??
    if you have a spare rubber protector, then cut it to the desired length / shape, place it on the rubber and hit balls, now your clear / clean impact zone is smaller. you'll soon know if you hit the rubber protector!!! never tried it but I would think that balls will have no spin, fly long or just slip off of the bat.
    Personally I don't think you need to alter your stroke (unless you are working on something else with a coach etc). with the rubber protector in place you are really playing with a smaller bat!!! I think that you will adjust quicker than you may have thought!!!!
    Let us know how you get on and good luck!!!

    The Following 2 Users Like IB66's Post:

    pingpongpaddy and ttarc

    Table Tennis England level 1 coach.

  8. Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 196 419
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 419 196

    User Info Menu

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by IB66
    I was thinking how you could adjust to get an impact point a little more towards the end of the blade, the last 3rd, maybe give yourself a little more room, but I think it's more of a case of hitting balls!!
    How to ensure you are hitting the right spot ??
    if you have a spare rubber protector, then cut it to the desired length / shape, place it on the rubber and hit balls, now your clear / clean impact zone is smaller. you'll soon know if you hit the rubber protector!!! never tried it but I would think that balls will have no spin, fly long or just slip off of the bat.
    Personally I don't think you need to alter your stroke (unless you are working on something else with a coach etc). with the rubber protector in place you are really playing with a smaller bat!!! I think that you will adjust quicker than you may have thought!!!!
    Let us know how you get on and good luck!!!

    Thanks, that’s an inspired idea - I’ll try it!


  9. Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 196 419
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 419 196

    User Info Menu

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGaGa

    Not really, the rebound board is all about consistency on your part, so if you can hit say 200 in a roll, you’ll definitely be hitting on roughly the same position on your paddle.

    Thanks Duke. Did you make yours and if so what base board did you use?


  10. Manto76 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 237 385
    Manto76's Avatar
    Manto76 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 385 237
    #10

    A friend who played at a very high level 30 years ago had a great way of training his impact zone. Similar to the idea suggested by IB66, but what he did, on a spare bat, was he cut the rubbers (both FH and BH) to about the size of a coffee cup and stuck them where he wanted his impact (ie. just above the middle of the blade, pretty much as you've described). The rest of the blade was bare. That way he could tell if he missed 'the zone' (as the ball would strike bare wood), but if he did hit the zone he could carry on with the drill until he missed.


    The Following User Likes Manto76's Post:

    IB66


  11. Lycanthrope is offline
    says From RPB to SH
     
    Advanced TTD Member 134 231
    L
    Lycanthrope is offline
    says From RPB to SH
     
    Advanced TTD Member 231 134
    #11
    I just wonder how long can you stand that kind of training? You could only do that during coaching sessions but not at games with others. Without substantial training and playing, it is very hard to get any improvement.

    I think an all wood racket with small sweet spot is more helpful. The quality of shots is totally different from different contact points.

    But other than rackets with small sweet spot, a large sweet spot is an advantage of some rackets. If you don't feel the really difference of the shot quality from different contact points with your racket, it not worth training it.

    The Following 2 Users Like Lycanthrope's Post:

    ttarc and Wrighty67


  12. Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 196 419
    Wrighty67's Avatar
    Wrighty67 is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 419 196

    User Info Menu

    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Manto76

    A friend who played at a very high level 30 years ago had a great way of training his impact zone. Similar to the idea suggested by IB66, but what he did, on a spare bat, was he cut the rubbers (both FH and BH) to about the size of a coffee cup and stuck them where he wanted his impact (ie. just above the middle of the blade, pretty much as you've described). The rest of the blade was bare. That way he could tell if he missed 'the zone' (as the ball would strike bare wood), but if he did hit the zone he could carry on with the drill until he missed.

    Nice!

    that's such a cool concept.

    Thanks.

  13. strangeloops is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 5 6
    S
    strangeloops is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 6 5

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2018
    Europe
    6
    5
    70
    Read 0 Reviews
    #13
    While I agree that it is important to hit with a smaller area, these marks do seem to concentrate a bit too close to the handle. If you tend to have long strokes you could try making your strokes a bit shorter and maybe add a bit more wrist. This could force you to contact further away from the handle, because it is harder to get good speed with a short stroke when the contact is close to the handle. A quick, snappy stroke can also make it easier to hit more consistently on the rubber, since it gives you more time to adjust to the ball.



    The Following User Likes strangeloops's Post:

    Wrighty67


  14. WingTT is offline
    says getting older means having to play smarter.
     
    Established TTD Member 73 146
    W
    WingTT is offline
    says getting older means having to play smarter.
     
    Established TTD Member 146 73

    User Info Menu


    Feb 2020
    United States
    146
    73
    139
    Read 0 Reviews
    #14
    Learn to keep looking at the ball and to adjust your positioning by bouncing off the ball of your feet in your low stance. If you are short, long or old sighted make sure you are wearing the right prescription. You can't hit what you can't see.

    The Following 2 Users Like WingTT's Post:

    Manto76 and Wrighty67


  15. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 370 727
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 727 370

    User Info Menu

    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty67

    Thanks Duke. Did you make yours and if so what base board did you use?

    Meant to reply the other day but forgot. I bought mine on TaoBao and shipped it to the states, at the time it was pretty cheap to do so, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that now, the shipping fee has increased a looooot 😂

    The Following User Likes DukeGaGa's Post:

    Wrighty67


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.