Grip tightness level at the moment of contact

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
So, what do top coaches / pros rexommend for the amount of tightness of grip at the moment of contact for various strokes such as loops, flat kills, blocks, chops, lobs, pushes etc etc

I know in some cases like muff block where you try to absorb the spin & speed of incoming ball , you may hold the racket loose.

But for example should one hold the racket loose or tight say for a loop or counterloop etc

What about during a (spinless) fake loop or fake chop etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

its best for your stroke if your grip is loose and flexible, This promotes easy power and creative shot making, while conserving energy.
however the racket ought to be stable through the contact phase of the shot. that is not changing the direction it faces
what this amounts to is that we should be in control of the racket
so:
suppose you are making a topspin. You want the wrist to be:

loose so that the momentum from the legs is coomunicated to the wrist so that tangential brushing is assisted
under control such that the directional aspect of the shot is achieved

If we consider the kinds of shots done by say waldner or mima ito its sometimes a complicated process

But wait!
the good news is that the miracle that is the human brain allows us to do these things “unconsciously” after practice.
Unfortunately we can also choose to exert control by say locking the wrist or snapping the elbow deliberatrly
getting the balance right is difficult overdoing “grooving” to promote muscle memory can lead to robotic inefficient style
i recommend
promote your inner waldner or ito and play with joyous style by iintelligent creative experimentation throughout your practice time.
when you train multiball or with a robot you have a perfect opportunity to practice creative shot making for instance

How loose ? how tight?
the brain of a well practiced player knows the answer!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
So, what do top coaches / pros rexommend for the amount of tightness of grip at the moment of contact for various strokes such as loops, flat kills, blocks, chops, lobs, pushes etc etc

I know in some cases like muff block where you try to absorb the spin & speed of incoming ball , you may hold the racket loose.

But for example should one hold the racket loose or tight say for a loop or counterloop etc

What about during a (spinless) fake loop or fake chop etc

In my opinion, just have a firm grip for the stroke and relax after the stroke. Same for blocking and chopping too. Pushing can use a soft hand for absorbing push, or firm for active push. For flicking or flipping, I 'load up' and then 'release' the tension like throwing a frisbee.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
The tightness or looseness of grip at impact, plus the CHANGE of grip at impact has a HUGE influence in the absorption of energy (or lack of it) and resultant rebound (or lack of it) of the ball after impact.

absoutely but it also has to be unconscious because human decisions will always lag behind split second tt events. Thus a relaxed state offers the best chance of stroking correctly

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
You need to grip the handle of your blade as if it was a bird that you wanted to hold but you didn't want it to fly away but you didn't want to hurt it!!!! Gripping your blade to tightly courses tension in your arm !!!! I see so many players that are so tense while playing table tennis!!!!

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
Don't overthink it. It is as simple as keeping your hand relaxed as possible as you can.

Only when you are keeping your grip loose enough, at the time of the racket meeting the ball fulled with energy your body can understand the necessity of firm grip.

If you can recall the first time when you were receiving a super spiny serve from a very high level player, his serve was short and slow but when the ball fell onto your racket, you felt the ball was surprisingly heavy. Or a high level player looped you a super spiny ball and you were almost unable to hold your racket stable. This kind of experiences may assist your to understand how you tighten your grip.

If you intend to tighten you grip before hitting, you may have tightened your grip too early and your stroke is rigid. If you only rely on your hands' reaction when the ball has already hit the racket, it may be too late. If you can keep your hand and wrist and arm as relaxed as possible and just about to hit the ball you recall how you met a powerful ball before, you may have done it correctly.

All in all, the first point is making you body understand the necessity of tighten the grip. It is a matter of experience and practice, sitting here and discussion words by words doesn't help you too much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
PPP,

You ought to engage Carl and ask how Rich Dewitt masters this
ok Der
i found the vid and I am impressed. The guy is natural timing in the flesh. Actually my style is a little simlar but with more serves more sp style topspin and but probably less talent
I would say he has mastered playing without thinking

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I mentioned Rich as he utterly frustrates much younger and athletic players with a loosening of his grip at impact to take away both spin and pace... which really throws a monkey wrench into that player's timing and rhythm.

There are few if zero players in USA who have his mastery of touch in this way.

Carl will give you a lot of stories about him. He is on and off discussed as a study of TT, but in a way you would never expect or see coming.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
DER

i have no clue what you mean!I am sure Carl will be kind enough to clarify.

Rich Dewitt is just a guy who has amazing touch and plays at quite a high level although, when people who don't understand enough about the game see him play they often don't realize quite how good he is. :)

It also should be noted that he does that with traditional Mark V rubbers. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc