Forehand attack pattern for lefty

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
For a righty a pretty simple attack pattern is to hit inside out into the backhand of the opponent and pin him there until you can finish down the line.

But as a lefty I'm a bit unsure what to do in some situations.

Sure if he hits into my forehand I can hit cross court into his BH but what is the best strategy from my BH corner. I like to run around my BH and hit forehand but if I hit down the line situation I'm opening up my wide FH and if I go inside out I hit into righties forehand which might be his stronger wing and allows him to pin my backhand with cross court forehand.

So what would you do in that situation playing from the BH corner as a lefty against righty (or righty against lefty which is essentially the same)?

Hit really wide angle into his wide forehand? Try to hit towards his elbow and hope next shot gives me a better angle? Should you try to lure the opponent to play to the other diagonal?

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
For a righty a pretty simple attack pattern is to hit inside out into the backhand of the opponent and pin him there until you can finish down the line.

But as a lefty I'm a bit unsure what to do in some situations.

Sure if he hits into my forehand I can hit cross court into his BH but what is the best strategy from my BH corner. I like to run around my BH and hit forehand but if I hit down the line situation I'm opening up my wide FH and if I go inside out I hit into righties forehand which might be his stronger wing and allows him to pin my backhand with cross court forehand.

So what would you do in that situation playing from the BH corner as a lefty against righty (or righty against lefty which is essentially the same)?

Hit really wide angle into his wide forehand? Try to hit towards his elbow and hope next shot gives me a better angle? Should you try to lure the opponent to play to the other diagonal?

Check this -
https://youtu.be/SZMGNkyr360

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
ITs a very well accepted tactic in righty- lefty matches for both players to target the wide fh of the opponent.
This is because in general the bh corner is the place from which you can control the game with well directed blocks and big step around forehand. Also That control can be exerted from closer to the table which tends to force the opponent off the table. His topspins from deep may look powerful and spectacular but the money game is played closer to the bounce.
Of course this doesn’t mean targeting the wide fh exclusively: instead body shots, and down the line balls to the bh are used to ensure that when the shot to the fh is made the opponent is under max pressure so that he has to return to opponents BH. as this is lefty righty if he goes down the line to fh he may be leaving his BH wide open. Keep in mind because of reaching across body bh reach is shorter than fh.
Here is a classic encounter between trad lh ph saito and rh shaky
watch how saitos angled pushes wide to opponent set up his own attack
lefty saito vs righty shake

(sorry I mixed up saito’s opponent identity)
can anyone contribute his name? ma wenge??
however here is another saito epic from1984 with opponents name attached. a bit blurry but worth a look if you are fan of jpen footwork
https://youtu.be/aS6cxQiAKBc

Last edited: