Clipper like vs Inner Carbon

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,

skillwise i'm slightly above average (~1.500 points in Germany).

Currently i like my Clipper like blade (Samsonov Black), because it's balanced all around and kinda stands out in the blocking department. But because i am mostly a two wing looper i ask myself if a 7 ply thinner blade with carbon would suit my gamestyle even more.

5 ply looping friendly blades are out of consideration.

So the concrete question is what are the main differences between this two types and if a carbon blade would improve my feeling of play.

My current issue is the low margin of safety while looping hard. It might be because the combination with a hard rubber like the G-1 might be a bit too hard/stiff for my level.

Thank you in advance for your tips.
Cheers SaN

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
So the concrete question is what are the main differences between this two types and if a carbon blade would improve my feeling of play.

My current issue is the low margin of safety while looping hard. It might be because the combination with a hard rubber like the G-1 might be a bit too hard/stiff for my level.\

A carbon composite blade will tend to have a larger sweet spot and, in my opinion, better feedback as the initial impact is clearer/crisper and the subsequent vibration is better damped. Whether that is better for you will only be known if you get to try your club mates carbon blades or take the chance and get one for yourself. I much prefer carbon composite blades myself.

The G1 could be too fast for your setup on the forehand. You may want to consider trying out a Chinese tacky rubber like the popular Hurricane 3 NEO and learn to brush loop with it. Then you can hit as hard as you want and have the spin bring the ball down for better safety.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It would be worth getting a bunch of people at your club to let you try their setups to see if something sits right for you. Not sure a carbon blade would give you a larger margin for error while looping but trying would be the only way to find out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys,skillwise i'm slightly above average (~1.500 points in Germany).Currently i like my Clipper like blade (Samsonov Black), because it's balanced all around and kinda stands out in the blocking department. But because i am mostly a two wing looper i ask myself if a 7 ply thinner blade with carbon would suit my gamestyle even more.5 ply looping friendly blades are out of consideration.So the concrete question is what are the main differences between this two types and if a carbon blade would improve my feeling of play.My current issue is the low margin of safety while looping hard. It might be because the combination with a hard rubber like the G-1 might be a bit too hard/stiff for my level.Thank you in advance for your tips.Cheers SaN
I think your forehand rubber is just fine. You cant go wrong with G1. With 1500 TTR you can play everything you like IMO. If you like controlled mid distance looping, go with a with some kind of innerlayer carbon blade with limba outers (like your Samsonov Force Pro Black). HL5, Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso, Yasaka Athletico Power, Btf Innerforce ALC, Nexy Yoo Nam Kyu Pro ALC …. there are so many options. These blades are also good for blocking. Speedwise you wont feel a big difference to your current blade. But the mentioned carbon blades are a bit better for looping. Thick 7plies are usally better for a close to the table game, driving and hitting.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
thank you all for your replies.

i already played with Viscaria for some time as well as a ILC clone from China, which was just as fast as the Viscaria.

After thinking a bit i remember why i choosed the Pro Black. I came from a classic 5 ply blade and seeked for less vibrations and more speed. The Viscaria was a great upgrade, but my recieve (in combination with the fast base speed of Vis) wasn't ready for that. I also like to do loop kills on my forehand and that's why i moved away from hard outer layer blades. Funny enough my level was identical regardless of the blades.

I'm still unsure if i should test my chinese clone again. I really like the "stable" feeling of 7 ply alwood blades. In theory a 5+2 Innerblade should keep the advantages.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I had the exact same issue, moved from clipper wood after very short period to Harimoto ALC. In both cases using fastarc G1. Clipper generates very little spin, looping with clipper is so difficult compared to harimoto. Yes Harimoto is a looping blade but clipper has lower spin and looping capabilities than all blades I tried even outer carbon blades. I am a novice player so probably someone with better technique can play with clipper with no problem, but I tried to give the clipper another chance I cannot continue playing with it for an hour and I switch back to anything else.