Harimoto beats Fan Zhendong 2022!

Maybe best ive ever seen him play. His backhand was on fire, and his forehand didnt expose a liability

It was a brilliant victory ✌️ would of loved it if Japan could of knocked China out !!! Such a shame Germany has only got its second team out !!!! Those victory's will do Harimoto the world of good 👍

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Harimoto played brilliantly to defeat both Fan Zhendong and Wang Chuqin. This is really the highest level of the game, with superb technique, speed and athleticism. I cannot recommend his screaming and shouting, which seems more like an outpouring of nervous energy than any kind of exhibitionism or hostility, but the intensity of his effort was phenomenal.

Both China’s Men’s and Women’s teams were at full strength for these World Team Championships, but some top players from other nations did not appear, presumably because there was no compulsion for players to take part in an event held under very strict anti-Covid “bubble” regulations. This accentuated Chinese dominance, but nevertheless some important trends could be noticed.

Whereas the Chinese women swept all opposition aside, apart perhaps from Mima Ito (Japan), who pushed Wang Manu to 4 close games, I think a few cracks in the edifice of the Men’s team began to appear. (1) Fan Zhendong practised with strapping on his left knee and played with taping on it: I don’t know whether this contributed to his loss to Harimoto; (2) Ma Long excelled in defeating Truls Moregard (Swe) 3-0 in the QF, but was relegated to 3rd player position against Japan, throwing all the pressure onto Wang Chuqin. (3) Wang Chuqin is their best “next gen” player, but if the top two are going to falter, then he is not currently much stronger (if at all) than a whole group of top ten aspirants – let’s mention LIN Yun-Ju TPE, QIU Dang GER, MOREGARD Truls SWE, CALDERANO Hugo BRA, JORGIC Darko SLO, OVTCHAROV Dimitrij GER. I don’t see the next two Chinese men, LIN Gaoyuan and LIANG Jingkun, as filling the gap when the top two retire. In short, the rest of the world is catching up with China.

Last edited:
Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
I would have liked to see something else than the CNT winning... When there's not even a slight chance for others it's not so interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I would have liked to see something else than the CNT winning... When there's not even a slight chance for others it's not so interesting.

Harimoto beating both WCQ and FZD is what makes this otherwise relatively uninteresting World Championship interesting. It's been a long time since a non Chinese beat two of the top Chinese players. It's almost irrelevant that Japan lost to China. That's not going to happen until Harimoto's teammates raise their level considerably. My apologies to Germany, but CHN - GER is not even interesting. The two Harimoto matches vs. CHN is what people are going to remember.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Harimoto beating both WCQ and FZD is what makes this otherwise relatively uninteresting World Championship interesting. It's been a long time since a non Chinese beat two of the top Chinese player
Yep, Tomo is back, especially after he had his little toilet brackes. It's almost irrelevant that Japan lost to China. That's not going to happen until Harimoto's teammates raise their level considerably. My apologies to Germany, but CHN - GER is not even interesting. The two Harimoto matches vs. CHN is what people are going to remember.

Yep, I think we can all agree that that was """the final"""
I mean no disrespect to the German team, I will watch the match tomorrow but do not hold any hopes, especially because certain Chinese gentlemen will have to prove something , if you get my drift.

Tomo is back. Best performance ever. After he came back from his little bathroom brake there was no stopping him.
I wonder if there was somebody in that bathroom who gave him a big snort of coke 😎

This user has no status.
I really wished if that CHN vs. JPN was in the Final and not semi, this is so far the best matches in the tournament, and sure no disrespect to Germany, but Japan is Japan and i asked all people in TT i know in my area and almost they all answered that the second strong country/team after China is Japan, and that isn't a joke, and Harimoto for years now is getting better and better, but only him, i really miss the time with Jun Mizutani and Koki Niwa were top Japanese players with some interesting matches but they weren't a match to Chinese, it was the Era of Zhang Jike/Ma Long and then FZD, but i doubt that Japan can resist longer in future with one top player the most.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The official WTT/ITTF youtube channel deserves to have all of their videos thumbed down because of the awful side angle.

Please support channels like these that upload videos without the side angle.

This sky angle sucks. It's completely worthless.

This user has no status.
There is no good angle in table tennis, the best thing is to have like more angles videos of same match and not one, and for me i really don't like they stick to one angle even if it is a favorite angle, they made hundreds angles and people are still complaining.

Reactions: ttfunfan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Yep, I think we can all agree that that was """the final"""
I mean no disrespect to the German team, I will watch the match tomorrow but do not hold any hopes, especially because certain Chinese gentlemen will have to prove something , if you get my drift.

Tomo is back. Best performance ever. After he came back from his little bathroom brake there was no stopping him.
I wonder if there was somebody in that bathroom who gave him a big snort of coke 😎

I seriously doubt Tomo was doing drugs in the bathroom. I even try to refrain from taking caffeine within two hours of playing table tennis. Too jittery otherwise. I have found that an equivalent of a copy of coffee's worth of caffeine about 2 hours before leads to optimal performance.

I do have a question for some people who know the structure of the tournaments though....how was it that Tomo was able to play two matches in the semi finals? Can anyone explain how the matchups are decided? I would have thought China would have wanted to play Ma Long against Tomo in his second match as Ma Long has a much better record against Tomo than Fan does.