Lower level player using Butterfly ALC and Tenergy?

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
It makes much more sense to start with something slower - and there are a lot slower things than Viscaria + Tenergy.
just imagine a drivers license beginner with a formula 1 car. Yes he can drive with it. If he’s really talented he might also somehow master it after many years. But he would have become a much better driver by starting with a slower car to get the understanding of how it works.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It makes much more sense to start with something slower - and there are a lot slower things than Viscaria + Tenergy.
just imagine a drivers license beginner with a formula 1 car. Yes he can drive with it. If he’s really talented he might also somehow master it after many years. But he would have become a much better driver by starting with a slower car to get the understanding of how it works.

good example, with 1 exception, a beginner driver in a f1 would never even get out of the paddock 😂

NDH

says Spin to win!
From my personal experience, I disagree.

As always, far more information is needed from all posters before anything close to a genuine answer is possible.

@alfort, I have no idea of your level, playing style or technique.

I can understand what you are saying about Tenergy if you really are on the lower/very low level of ability.

If your shots are slow, technique poor and you’ve never really been shown what to do, Tenergy is a recipe for disaster.

But if you can hit a fairly average topspin shot, Tenergy will give you a lot of access to spin and speed. It will still be far too fast for most players, but there will be plenty of spin if you can come close to controlling it.

The general consensus has always been…..

Yes, a Viscaria and Tenergy are far too fast for a beginner.

If you have a coach who doesn’t tell you otherwise, you may be fine.

But I’d guess that it would only be OK if you were having a lot of coaching (4 hours plus per week), and then playing with it another 4 hours at least.

If you don’t have developed shots, it will make it VERY hard to learn with (with no coaching). I imagine there will be more frustration than anything, as you won’t have learnt the touch required to use it, so your shots will often be too fast, too uncontrolled with no touch.

Every now and then you’ll inevitably play an absolutely cracking shot - The sort of shot that wouldn’t be possible with slow rubbers and a slower blade. But don’t let the illusion fool you!

Here would be my recommendation based on different scenarios.

1. Beginner with Coach.

Use whatever they recommend (assuming you know the coach has a good reputation).

If they don’t recommend anything. A simple 5 ply wooden blade paired with slow to mid level speed rubbers would be fine (so many to choose from, ask if you need advice here).

The Viscaria and T05 can be used if the coach is confident they can train you whilst you are learning with it.

As others have said, some countries give the juniors very fast blades and rubbers, but their coaching is designed to utilise that.

As an example, in the UK, I don’t know many coaches who would be great when coaching a junior (or someone who doesn’t have developed shots), with such a fast set up.

2. Beginner with no Coach.

A simple 5 ply wooden blade paired with slow to mid level speed rubbers would be fine (so many to choose from, ask if you need advice here).

All of that being said….. You have to enjoy the game to get better at it.

If using Tenergy and an ALC blade from Butterfly makes you feel good, and better than using other blades (regardless of your results), I’d personally use it.

No amount of coaching or playing will change that.

Reactions: JeffM

NDH

says Spin to win!
You should be able to guess my level and experience in this sport from my other postings.
If not............... Oh Well

😂 I've not really read any of your other posts that I recall, and I'm not going to go looking for them.

I don't like to assume either.

Your comment about Tenergy made you seem like a very low level player - Which is absolutely fine, but obviously knowing that is helpful when discussing advice like this.

But there are lots of "low level" players, who all have different capabilities.

Some are older, have been playing a long time and are happy with their level (I see a huge number of these people in the lower divisions of local league).

Other lower level players (usually younger ones) are wanting to improve, have more aesthetically pleasing shots, and have the potential to get much better.

My advice would differ depending on which "lower level" player I was speaking to.

NDH

says Spin to win!
This is exactly why I have always advocated for figure skating type scoring system for table tennis 🤣

It’s hard to see if you are trolling, have just discovered the internet and forums, or you are intentionally trying to selective quote things to argue with….

But I’ll try and answer as much as possible for the benefit of the forum (apologies in advance, I’m on my phone so it’s going to be formatted badly…..).

The point about “aesthetic shots” was in the context of lower level players.

I generally find that young juniors who have been taught how to play (yet still considered a lower level player), look significantly better than older players who have been doing the same thing for 40 years at a lower level.

I also find that older player usually wins those match ups, so it wasn’t a point about which is better, but the style of the older player (usually a pushy/diggy style), with very little “traditional top spin”, is not a player I’d EVER recommend Tenergy to.

But that young player with nice topspin shots could conceivably use Tenergy in conjunction with good coaching (I’d still not recommend it, but it could be done).

As for the disagreeing about “having fun”, perhaps you’ve not been playing for very long, or live in a world without enjoyment…… But I can assure you, in the 20 years I’ve been playing, there are a lot of people who simply play for fun, don’t want to improve, and virtually turn up each week for a social night out with friends.

I appreciate you are new to the forum, and this sort of discussion has been done to death….. But one more time won’t hurt anyone!

You have highlighted 2 very big problems with table tennis forums.

1. The definition of different levels of ability is very hard to use in context like this.

My “beginner” level might be different to yours.

Likewise, what is an “advanced” player?

The good folk in the US have their rating system, but in the UK we have nothing to really gauge against other countries.

It just makes it very difficult to have a conversation along the same lines, and we could very easily end up arguing the same point, and not realising it.

2. Posting advice and opinion without showing your ability.

This is always controversial, but from a personal POV, if I see someone posting advice or opinion, whilst showing a relatively misinformed view of the sport, I quickly ignore it, or see if that person can offer more information to back up their point.

Putting it simply, if someone does not have the ability to use Tenergy (for example), should they really be giving advice on it?

The best thread this forum has had is the video one.

Seeing people’s ability adds so much more context to discussions, and makes everyone better in my opinion.

Lower level players are less likely to talk rubbish, and people can read advice from others knowing where it comes from.

It doesn’t exclude people who haven’t posted video, but I’ve certainly found that since it’s been in existence, the advice and comments from everyone has generally been on a better level.

Anyway, to round it off (as I’m sure you and everyone else is very bored of my post), my initial answer wasn’t really aimed at you, it was trying to answer the OP’s question whilst talking into account what had already been said.

It never ceases to amaze me how forum regulars have a paranoid obsession about the poster without just evaluating content of the post itself.
Also may be you should have clear requirements fora poster to be accepted as qualified to post comments before being accused of giving unqualified advice. OMG

Oh yeah Alfort should post a video & nude pictures of herself before commenting about a table tennis rubber.

Ha ha, there is actually a thread exactly like this "requirements fora poster to be accepted as qualified to post comments"
The "Video footage safe thread"

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
For a beginner, it is better to use a slower blade, an allround all wood blade.
The Tibhar Champ costs about 15€ and is an excellent blade. A guy i know who has been playing about 15 years now still uses it. He has about 1700 ELO rating (VTTL) , and plays in Flemish competition in 1st provincial series. Far from being a pro of course but i can guarantee u he makes some nice shots with this blade. He uses 2 sides Tibhar Genius 2mm on this blade.
I tried his blade once (i play a Waldner Senso Carbon with similar rubbers on it) and found i could play surprisingly well with it.But hey, if u really feel happy playing a Viscaria and dont mind if it could potentially hinder your progression, u are free to do so of course.

This user has no status.

tbh i left the game cause of a similar combo, gonna go back now and start something different, i start with 2 tenergy 64 and really fast blade form butterfly (didnt know what i was doing at that time) and i dont remember keep a ball on the table

however i know people that start with same combo and still enjoying the game and doing great

Kids have a different capability to adjust and absorb. For an adult it’s may be a bad idea even if they have a coach. In my club we usually recommend the blade Donic Appelgren all play with some slower Donic rubber or Yasaka Mark V to beginners even kids.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I can only comment on my personal experience. I started playing at the table tennis club in June 2021 (I am now in my early 30s). I picked up the sport again after playing semi frequently in my teenage years, but only as a garage type player (only in the club a few times. I also played regular tennis at the country club for several years as a competitive player in tournaments. I mention this because I do believe my tennis experience helped me develop a powerful forehand in table tennis last year faster than the average player.

Anyways, my first custom bat was a cheap, Chinese carbon blade with cheap Chinese rubbers (non-tacky). Not sure if you are from the USA, but the club owner started me off with an 800 rating. I dipped down to low 700s after my first several round robins. I started playing more and more and eventually made a little run to about 950 in my club (this was approx early december 2021). At this point I would say I had good mechanics in my forehand, and my athleticism helped me beat lower ranked players, but I was not consistent, and I didn't really know how to generate spin on a loop, or loop backspin balls.

I also started getting feedback from some of the more advanced players in my club that my equipment wasn't very good. One of the older players at my club wanted to help me find the right equipment by offering me all sorts of different rubbers and blades from his collection. I probably tried like 5 or 6 different paddle and rubber combinations in a period of 8 weeks.

i quickly realized that constantly changing my equipment was hindering my progress. I started doing some more serious research on blades and rubbers. I probably spent at least 10 hours just researching equipment, reading reviews and watching review videos. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted my next equipment to be something I would play with forever (or for at least the next several years)

SO, i decided to pull out all of the stops and get the top of the line equipment- a Butterfly Viscaria blade with Tenergy Rubbers. Around this same time I was able to solicit the services of a USATT certified coach. I remember on our first phone call, he asked me what equipment I had. I told him i just bought a viscaria with tenergy. He said "I wish you hadn't, but we can work with it".

The first several months with this new equipment were definitely a learning curve. I was learning how to generate more spin with my loop, and loop against the backspin pushes and chops. Probably serve return against excellent servers were the hardest thing for me to develop. But i practiced everything I could. Every match I played, I reflected and took notes on my weaknesses. I took those weaknesses to the practice sessions with both my coach and on my own open play time. I've been diligent in developing my technique. I am happy to say I am one of the most improved players at my club over the past year, and I am rated nearly 1500, and still improving every week. My coach says I have the potential to be rated 2000 in a year if I continue on this pace.

So long story short, It is possible for a beginner to use this sort of equipment, but I do 100% believe without my coach, I would not have developed at the rate I have. Cheers and good luck.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
I can only comment on my personal experience. I started playing at the table tennis club in June 2021 (I am now in my early 30s). I picked up the sport again after playing semi frequently in my teenage years, but only as a garage type player (only in the club a few times. I also played regular tennis at the country club for several years as a competitive player in tournaments. I mention this because I do believe my tennis experience helped me develop a powerful forehand in table tennis last year faster than the average player.

Anyways, my first custom bat was a cheap, Chinese carbon blade with cheap Chinese rubbers (non-tacky). Not sure if you are from the USA, but the club owner started me off with an 800 rating. I dipped down to low 700s after my first several round robins. I started playing more and more and eventually made a little run to about 950 in my club (this was approx early december 2021). At this point I would say I had good mechanics in my forehand, and my athleticism helped me beat lower ranked players, but I was not consistent, and I didn't really know how to generate spin on a loop, or loop backspin balls.

I also started getting feedback from some of the more advanced players in my club that my equipment wasn't very good. One of the older players at my club wanted to help me find the right equipment by offering me all sorts of different rubbers and blades from his collection. I probably tried like 5 or 6 different paddle and rubber combinations in a period of 8 weeks.

i quickly realized that constantly changing my equipment was hindering my progress. I started doing some more serious research on blades and rubbers. I probably spent at least 10 hours just researching equipment, reading reviews and watching review videos. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted my next equipment to be something I would play with forever (or for at least the next several years)

SO, i decided to pull out all of the stops and get the top of the line equipment- a Butterfly Viscaria blade with Tenergy Rubbers. Around this same time I was able to solicit the services of a USATT certified coach. I remember on our first phone call, he asked me what equipment I had. I told him i just bought a viscaria with tenergy. He said "I wish you hadn't, but we can work with it".

The first several months with this new equipment were definitely a learning curve. I was learning how to generate more spin with my loop, and loop against the backspin pushes and chops. Probably serve return against excellent servers were the hardest thing for me to develop. But i practiced everything I could. Every match I played, I reflected and took notes on my weaknesses. I took those weaknesses to the practice sessions with both my coach and on my own open play time. I've been diligent in developing my technique. I am happy to say I am one of the most improved players at my club over the past year, and I am rated nearly 1500, and still improving every week. My coach says I have the potential to be rated 2000 in a year if I continue on this pace.

So long story short, It is possible for a beginner to use this sort of equipment, but I do 100% believe without my coach, I would not have developed at the rate I have. Cheers and good luck.
Yes, everybody progress with training.
But most people would argue that an all wood blade would be better and would give you better development. Including your coach, even though “you can work with it”…

• Love
Reactions: FrenchFrog33