Why would you use short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think most do it because they have a weakness with the backhand, everyone starts with double inverted and some switch after some time.

But mima ito became pretty good with it:)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Theoretically short pips with sponge is the best rubber there is. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. So, if you can deliver the ball from your racket to the opponent’s side with maximum possible speed, you do not need any spin in tabletennis or in any racket sport. But al this Is pure theory and this is were spins (top & back) comes into the picture for 95% mere mortals to keep the ball on the table.
In the spin continuum, smooth inverted (boosted) rubbers sit on the top spin end & long pips sits on the back spin end. Antispin & short pips sit in the middle but manufacturers continue to confuse amateurs with all kinds of marketing gimmicks to sell rubbers.

Most players do not even understand historically why smooth spinny & then anti & then long pips were developed after the introduction of sponge in 1952 at Bombay (now Mumbai) , India World Championships (I have read it was introduced by a French player at 1951 World Championships but was not taken seriously till Satoh of Japan won the whole thing in Bombay) .

What this means is that
  1. Even at the pro or high amateur levels only about 5% players (at best) have what it takes to be able to use short pips with sponge & even that on their primary or strong side (usually forehand)
  2. Rest of the players (lower level amateurs) are not capable of using the short pips with sponge even on their primary side (usually forehand).

Bottomline is that at the amateur level anti & short pips with sponge (& medium pips to some extent) are what I would classify as “social rubbers” and I would also include most expensive European & Japanese & Indian & Korean rubbers. Why ? Because at the amateur levels most players who use short pips & anti because these players are afraid of using long pips as they fear social rejection by players who use spinny inverted both sides since about 70% of players use spinny inverted both sides and all the councils & committees of ITTF (& Similar groups of national affiliates of ITTF). They also use these expensive inverted rubbers because they wan to look cool as they crave social acceptance.

Short pips & anti are almost totally functionally useless & are just social rubbers at the amateur level especially on the weakside (usually backhand).

At the amateur level therefore, there are only two functionally valid rubber types
1. Long pips
2. Spinny inverted rubbers (only the non-social rubber type)

I am in the process of creating a detailed stroke by stroke analysis of all 5 rubber types to show why short pips is the absolute worst weakside rubber. I will post it later.

Anti is the second worst rubber type & it is also a social rubber.
Medium pips fall sort of right in the middle. They could be functionally useful as long as used as a transition pint to long pips but not a choice as a social rubber to win social acceptance & approval.

So when I see an amateur player using a spinny inverted social rubber on either strong or weak side or using an anti or short pips social rubber on their weak side, I sort of feel sorry for them for their wasting their time in tabletennis and or their vanity & pretentious nature.

What makes it even worse is the fact that many of these amateurs who use social rubbers (anti or short pips) on the weakside also live a fantasyland because they have convinced themselves that they can ALSO use these rubbers just because Mima Ito or Hou Yingchao etc are a so good at using them.

So what the hell is this strong side & weakside thing ? In tabletennis almost all players including pros have a strong side (usually forehand) & weak side (usually backhand). But the difference in consistency & playing style may be "almost" equal for pros but is quite unequal both consistencywise & especially style wise for amateurs but most amateurs don't understand this. This is how most amateurs end up using social rubbers because amateurs who delude themselves that they have equalforehands & backhands & think they can be twowinged loopers like top pros use spinny inverted social rubbers. Other amateurs who understand that their playing styles & consistency is very different on strong & weak sides end up using anti or short pips type social rubbers.

But the straight line thing only applies with no net, right? To hit the ball in a totally straight line the contact point would have to be significantly higher than the net, otherwise you need some curve to the ball flight and that either has to be Gravity or spin (or both). If it only is gravity you need to limit the speed to allow to give gravity enough time to make it fall.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
A good summary is in this link. Good short pips rubbers with sponge like the Nittaku Moristo SP or the Yinhe Uranus Pro still can impart good spin on the ball, so it is not as black and white as some of the posters make it sound.
Still, with inverted backhand one can put more spin on the ball compared to short pips and I feel I have better control over the ball compared to short pips (due to the higher arc).
The disadvantage of inverted backhand is that most people are very familiar with it, so the slight surprise effect of short pips is lost.

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
after you have learned the fundementals as counter and stroke, if you are still better and more natural at hitting flat and smashing then it could be an alternative. Make a strength better. Not knowing how to loop is not a good reason.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I've been using a short pips rubber on my weaker side for years and recently switched to inverted rubber. SP has advantages, but also many more serious disadvantages. In this video below I have explained the reasons for switching, talk about the transition process and compare the results before and after.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What % of amateurs or even pros,are good enough to be better flat hitters on even their strong side (usually forehand) let alone their weak side?
Let me ask this in another way. Why do vast majority of players choose spinny inverted at least on one side ? I have already answered these questions

Inverted rubber is much safer since you can create an arc by generating spin and get more marginal for error. Need to move better and time better with short pimples since you ae not able to create the arc. Would say that inverted rubber is basically a better rubber and is a better option for the majority.

says [IMG]
...but are afraid to switch to long pips for fear of social rejection. This is why few of these players switch to short pips or anti because they incorrectly believe they will be accepted better in the world of two winged loopers. While two winged loopers many be a little more accepting of those who use short pips or anti instead of the supposedly horrible long pips on their weak side, the two-winged loopers will NEVER EVER accept these players as equal first class citizens of table tennis society.....

This has to be by far the biggest nonsense I've read in a long while on this (or any other) forum.

I don't know how the TT environment is in your area, but I sincerely hope this is not the general opinion of TT players in your area. In my area (south of Netherlands) people simply choose what they feel comfortable with and won't limit their choice based on so called "social acceptance".. In my 36 years of TT (competitive) experience, I have visited many clubs and met many players and I can assure you: we might not like the equipment of our opponent, but we surely respect each other. If you believe that people refrain from certain equipment choices because of this social acceptance, I think there is something seriously wrong in your TT environment.

On topic:
Like inverted rubbers, there are multiple types of short pips rubbers and each of them come with different characteristics. In general, short pips are used for close to and over the table offense playing style based on strong strokes (no spin) and hard pushes. Short pips eliminate the incoming spin (but do not revert it like long pips), so it's more easy to execute a smash or hard push.
Alfort is right on 1 thing: short pips (or any other pips/anti) are not a magic solution for someones weak side and it takes many hours of training to master the rubber correctly.

This user has no status.

Are you suggesting that everyone especially amateurs, should use spinny inverted on weak side as well just because it may be working for you ?

Of course not. I stated the reasons why I switched from the SP to the inverted and the problems I had in the game with the SP.

What % of players especially amateurs, do you think will have success using spinny inverted on weak side as well ?

I don't know what percentage, it certainly depends on the player, what suits him and what his abilities are.

Your video is not in English. So I cannot comment much ( I did notice that you posted results with short pips & invered but that doe snot really tell the fullstory I am sorry) .

At the beginning of the video I said that there are English subtitles and they just need to be turned on.

I also have to ask why you used short pips in the first place before switching to start with and chose to switch to inverted.
I also have to ask why you switched to spinny inverted and not to say anti or medium pips or long pips (I am not blaming you or accusing you ....just asking) I know every player is unique & I understand you may have your own reasons social or functional & I respect that.

As I said in the video... As you get older and slower, it's harder to play with SP, because the rubber can't help you if you don't position yourself well with your feet. So what suited me before, now doesn't suit me anymore.

If you are an amateur player (any level), it seems to me that you are a unique case where your weak side is almost as good as your strong side, in which case using inverted both sides is justified.

My backhand is significantly weaker than my forehand.

But again, I ask . What % of players ,especially amateurs, have strong side almost equal to weak side in terms of consistency and especially playing style etc ?

Why is it even important in the thread "Why would you use short pips?"

This user has no status.
Because it's fun.

For a casual player this view is really underrepresented and underrated. I blame this in part because there is this prevailing view that using pips means your game is deficient in some way, and thus you need something extra to beat people.I use long pips because it's made the game far more interesting and fun to play for me.

This user has no status.
IMO short pips can be very effective. but the technique and tactics are different than with normal rubbers. if you try to use it the same way it will not be effective.

short pips expresses its strength when you are able to take the ball early, before or at the top of the bounce near the table. one must have really quick footwork to do so all the time. if you need more time and play a little back from the table its not good

the other case are choppers. they cannot counter the incoming spin but they can create their own spin and create more subtle variations between spin and no-spin chops which can force errors.

This user has no status.
IMO short pips can be very effective. but the technique and tactics are different than with normal rubbers. if you try to use it the same way it will not be effective.

short pips expresses its strength when you are able to take the ball early, before or at the top of the bounce near the table. one must have really quick footwork to do so all the time. if you need more time and play a little back from the table its not good

the other case are choppers. they cannot counter the incoming spin but they can create their own spin and create more subtle variations between spin and no-spin chops which can force errors.

to answer the OP,

i would use SP on my BH because its my strong side and i know i can make flat counters which can "sink" low very quickly. with a normal rubber i cannot have this trajectory but i can do shots which are similarly annoying too, and have more options

on my FH, it means i would go back to a more flat-attacking style like i used to do younger. I sometimes use this style in matches when i want to be very agressive and take a lot of risk. maybe it would help further to use SP, but its playable without it, and normal rubbers give more options IMO.

all-in-all i don't think change would be benefiting to me given im getting slower every year. actually I guess maybe in a few years i may need to play with LP, to play a slower game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

From a technical perspective I believe that a large number of amateurs would be more effective if they ued an sp like Moristo rather than Tenergy et alia.
The reason is that the modern iverted is harder to control than sp and unless you have correct loop drive technique you are not getting a reward that compensates for that lack of control.
Moristo and other modern tensor sps are fast, very spinny and provide easier control than most inverted.

However I dont think many will make the change because they are too wedded to the adrenalin rush of playing with “big spin” inverted in practice even though they havent managed to Harness the big spin towards winning.

Being able to execute max rotation shots in isolation is not the same as having mastery of topspin technique with inverted

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
There seems to be more than a smidgin of testiculating going on in this thread, so let me come in late with my answer to the original question. I switched to SP on backhand because I seem to do a lot of flat BH hitting these days and I found SP suited that better than inverted did. Oddly I seem to hit harder BH than FH now, although that definitely wasn't the case when I was younger - think that has to do with being left-handed and playing a lot of doubles, but not at all sure. .