Why would you use short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I am totally exhausted and confused with all the arguments here. Why don't you guys be quiet and let people with better knowledge contribute? Saying "SP is on weaker side" or "useless" shows how immature you are. Amen! Then arguing around OMG... which I am not sure the other side even read it? Ok whoever write the last sentence wins lol. Now beat me....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
My answer to "why use SP on backhand" from the OP. I am an amateur. I switch to SP as I get older and find I can't play fast as I used to. SP gives me opportunity to return heavy spin easier than inverted (normal rubber). I sometimes chop if forced far away from the table and as a left-handed I can chop with different spins. That is it! There is no magic to it and I do not care if it is on my weak side lol.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I've owned a viscaria light for 5 years and dislike that blade a lot. hard to control, the touch felt off and a lot of unforced errors. Only thing I liked about it was the loop. That might just be me, but there's a saying for carbon blades, if you don't train at least 4 times a weak you cannot possibly be good with it.

There too hard to control! That's due to the carbon effect to have the ball not to have an increased dwell time on the blade and come off earlier. Its the opposite to wood blades. Most big companies try different methods to erase this problem but you can still feel it.

Problem with Carbon blades is that ball arc trajectory become too similar, for the average player. Unless you are top division player for your state or regional equivalent. Another issue with Viscaria is Tenergy is the only thing good with it, excluding speed glue. Like all carbon Butterfly blades Tenergy is the only viable choice you have. So get ready to spend BIG. A lot of top players have sweared by bty carbon blades and tenergy. I have tried on my vslight Bryce, Acuda, Rasant, hexer power sponge and tenergy.

Tenergy In my opinion works better with a carbon blade over a wood blade, I think when they were designing tenergy they had that philosophy.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I am wondering how many different profiles you are writing under at the same time. But people don't seem to realize.

Yes, I was wondering if the OP is another alias for this alfort, or kanyaewest or whatever. Seems like a fake post to allow the trolling to start, since the OP never came back into their own thread.

If there is a real OP I would write a longer reply since I switched to SP after six years using inverted. But not if it's only to feed a troll.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

Many players find SP’s easier to control (and for a lot of players the BH is more of a controlling shot)

Potentially a faster/more direct shot (if the pimples are used properly)

To add variety of spin (as compared to using the same rubber on both sides). Maybe they even twiddle their bat during the rally or during serves to try and mess up the opponent.

Maybe they’ve just always played that way (not everyone starts out with double inverted)

Perhaps they naturally have more of a flat hit. This is the reason why Matthias Falck uses SP’s on his FH, but no reason why the same logic couldn’t apply to thd BH.

Maybe they also play hard-bat and don’t want to diverge too greatly from that.

and probably loads of other reasons other players can come up with too!

Yes, those are the answers I was looking for. One more thing that helps is the large difference in spins from BH to FH. I switched from inverted to LP and played for 5 years but found it was hard (for me) to attack and the LP spin is too predictable for many advanced amateurs.

Reactions: Stuart Marquis

The OP is "Why would someone use short pips on their backhand?". It seems people got carried away. Can you guys go straight to the point?

Short pips means more speed and less spin, which also means less spin sensitivity. If you don’t rely on spin it may be a good option.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

You are not open-minded so how can you find open-minded people in this forum to agree with you?

People disagree with you not because they are close-minded. In fact, they are very open-minded because they find your opinions are not acceptable to their experience. And you should be open-minded enough to accept different experience.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

multiple accounts.....(perhaps a moderator can confirm that?).

It is true that this is usually something we don't want on the forum. S-Jan has been popping up with new profiles for years. In the past he has gotten banned for some outrageous stuff he said that has not happened so far over the past few months. Since I know he will join again and again under new profiles, I am just letting things progress.

It would be nice if he just stuck to one profile. But, as of now, he has not been offensive. And I would rather him be able to say what he has to say.

I just wish people would wait 24 hours and decide if they actually even want to engage in back and forth discussions with him.

However, he really does know some things about the history of the sport and if you asked him questions about certain things, we might get to see some of what he actually has to offer about the sport and rule changes over the past few decades.

Kanye, would you like to explain the rule changes from the 80s that you think were not good for the sport?

How about giving some of the details about the rule changes that happened in 1998 that were a big change. And how many fewer defensive players are in the pro ranks as a result of some of these changes? I do think it would be good for people to hear your opinions on some of those changes. So, please feel free to explain some of what got you to have the opinion of the ITTF that you have. History can be useful.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I agree with this 100%. I certainly don’t want anyone banned from the forum. I’d just like to understand why someone would post under multiple usernames; it adds nothing to the quality of the argument being expressed and only serves to make people suspicious about the motives behind the posts.

He has been banned from every forum sooooo many times that.....I think that had something to do with it. But, if he doesn't make personal attacks, I am okay with him posting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
SP has advantages, but also many more serious disadvantages.
This is an excellent point. However, the advantages of short pips are only on the strongside, that too only if you have the skills to pull it off. & only few can at any level of the sport Most players who are not old & even can loop decently are better off using spinny inverted on strong side. But I can also see some older (especially newcomers) players who cannot loop at all being better off with short pips on forehand ( But from what I have seen most of these older players who cannot loop just choose spinny inverted both sides just because it is the social thing to do) . This is so sad because short pips with sponge on strong side & frictionless OX pips on weakside is the best racket for them (preferably with same black color rubber both sides 😝)

Unfortunately long pips is a far superior choice to spinny inverted on your weakside assuming your weakside is indeed much weaker (for looping) on your weakside as is the case for most amateurs. Unless of course you are a pro for whom the wekaside is almost as good your strong side for looping. Even if you are a good hitter / blocker on your weakside, long pips is a much better choice because (passive) return of serve is somewhat of a problem even with inverted (in the weakside mode) and the problemis is much much worse with short pips. On the other hand safe returns of serve with built-in complexities & natural variations are the superior strength of long pips, especially against pips haters.

Also a combination racket of spinny inverted (mostly onstrong side) & long pips (mostly on wekside) provides the most contrast in spins & variations as compared to a inverted strong side & short pips on weakside combination. Of course short pips (mostly on) strong side & spinny inverted (mostly on) weakside as done by Liu Guoliang & Mattias Falck can be a lethal combination & even may work for many RPH loopers but the % of players who can succeed with this is low because the % players who can succeed with short pips itself is very low at all levels of the sport. (Of course short pips both sides like Johnny Huang is the most lethal & best combination, but how many other players do you know at any level like this ?)

Of course lot of players use spinny inverted or short pips or anti on weakside in the social mode because of fear of rejection & ridcule by two winged loopers and there is not a thing I can do about that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Its a fact that Short Pips have disadvantages. I play them for two and a half years now, and still struggle from time to time.

SP are hard to play against low no spin balls, i just lost a match in my league to a no spin player because the window for a good shot is so tight with sp. He has the same rating as me, the lost match is OK for me - but it showed me again how challenging sp are. If your feet are off a little and you are under pressure, the window gets really small.

Nexy match against a two winged looper was an easy win, but he gave me spin to work with.

Now my EJ Brain tells me to move to inverted for higher tolerance at bad days or uncomfortable opponents 😅