Players as Coaches

This user has no status.
There have been a few instances of players serving in the corner as advisors/coaches in the current WTT Champions Macao 2022 tournament.

Khanak Jha had Liam Pitchford in his corner just as Jeon Jihee has Jang Woojin in hers.

I believe Qiu Dang had another German player as I am assuming Rosskopf is not in attendance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think some countries have send less staff to some tournaments due to covid restrictions and then used other players to coach.

This user has no status.
Yeah I saw Timo coaching Dang Qiu to.

I cannot believe I forgot it was Timo coaching Dang Qiu.... 🤣

Speaking of the German team, there was nobody there for Han Ying when she faced off and was defeated by Jeon Jihee 3-1 but Shaona was in Nina Mittleham's corner when she was defeated by Chen Szu-Yu 3-2

I suppose when you are missing actual full time coaching staff, the player coverage ends up being quite spotty.

Does anyone know why we are missing so many coaches?

Chengdu had more stringent rules and restrictions in regards to Covid and yet there were more coaches there.

• Haha
Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
I really liked having the players be coaches! I think it just gave a new look and feel to the people who follow the pro scene.

Seeing Timo coach DQ was nice, it felt like the torched was being passed on to the next generation

I agree! I thought Alexis Lebrun coaching for Jian Nan Yuan when she took that massive upset against Wang Manyu was a great touch to the tournament!

Still, it was sad not seeing anyone in Patrick Franziska's corner when he faced off with Joao Geraldo.

The best ones I think are the cross association ones such as Tomislav Pucar with Darko Jorgic and vice versa, as well as Liam Pitchford with Khanak Jha - the latter is going to need it in his match with Fan Zhendong 😂