Tenergy 05 but less bouncy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Looking for advice on a rubber with similar spin characteristics to Tenergy05, but with bit more control.
I am using a Butterfly Viscaria blade and like loop fast on both sides.
However being a bit slow around the court (55 Y/O), I often need to chop or push for a while until the right ball is there for attack.
I find balls often go long during the slow game as it's just too "bouncy"
Is there any rubber which retains the lovely looping qualities but can also work in the slow game???
Or is it impossible to have the best of both worlds.
I don't have the arm speed / strength to use Chinese rubbers.

Cheers.

Have you tried a hybrid like 09C? More spin, better control, but needs more power. Still, it's easier to use than Hurricane and might work for you (after considerable adjustment). Dignics 05 can also generate more spin than Tenergy, but requires as much arm speed as 09C and is trickier to control over the table. Nothing else in my experience matches T05 for spin. G1 is easier to control than T05, but not close in shot quality. I've had occasion to compare these rubbers directly on a Viscaria with several other experienced players and we were surprised at the difference when blocking against loop. Even so I'd recommend giving it a try, as its benefits can outweigh its disadvantages, and it lasts forever. I also liked R48. Sacrifices some control vs G1 in return for more spin and speed, but still a good spin to speed ratio. Highly (factory) boosted, though, so probably doesn't last very long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
G1, but in Max - spinnier than Super Thick but not as easily available, in Europe at least.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
've used Nexy Karis M, Stiga Mantra M and S and TSP Regalis Red.
They are all similar, made by Daiki in Japan for the various manufacturers.

The Stiga Mantra is my favorite, it just seems a tiny bit better than the TSP in almost every respect and is also a little lighter. The 'M' version is probably a little softer than Tenergy 80, but if that's not an issue it fits all your requirements.

I thought the TSP was more similar to the older Stiga Airoc range of rubbers.

The Nexy is a bit different to play with, probably due to the short length of the pips, so takes a bit more adjustment. I remember it being particularly good for blocking, but Ipreferredit on my forehand.

Nittaku Flyatt Spin is another medium hardness rubber from the same factory which might work for you, it can often be a bit cheaper than the others.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Looking for advice on a rubber with similar spin characteristics to Tenergy05, but with bit more control.
However being a bit slow around the court (55 Y/O), I often need to chop or push for a while until the right ball is there for attack.
Is there any rubber which retains the lovely looping qualities but can also work in the slow game???

Cheers.
1. Nittaku FastArc G1
2. Xiom Vega Europe

says [IMG]
1. Nittaku FastArc G1
2. Xiom Vega Europe

I agree on the G1, but Vega Europe is no way near a replacement for T05. It's much softer and slower.
Instead, I like to suggest Joola Dynaryz ACC. Solid rubber, not crazy fast, decent amount of catapult but definitely not as "springy" as T05. Downside of Dynaryz ACC is its price: it's the same as T05 :(

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Cheers.
You posted a few weeks ago so maybe you have the rubber idea sorted. Whether you have or not, I have a feeling your issue is more about technique than you may realize. If you are pushing balls long during short game, you probably want to work on your technique pushing....the angle of the bat, how soft you touch the ball, or not soft, your reading of the spin: heavy, medium, light, top, side, back, empty.....a lot of times players focus on the fancy stuff like looping, but in terms of game skills, short game and pushing are actually more important. And many players don't spend enough time getting good at pushing.

Reactions: merlin el mago
This user has no status.
Well pls keep in Mind he wanted a more controlled Rubber with Tenergy like "charakter".
He is also 55 years old,i totally get the work on your game idea.
But if you get older you will notice,improvements are not as fast as when you were young.
no shade at anybody,but i agree with the V47.5 mentioned,play him myself and he is close to the rubber the Op wants.
I just want to state that there are a lot of older guys on the forum who simply can´t train enough as younger people.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011

Cheers.

I have found that Tenergy 19 is close to what you are looking for. I myself wanted a rubber like 05 but easier in the short/short-push game. A lot of people have suggested good rubbers but they are different than that 05 feeling. I love 19 and am playing it on my backhand right now.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well pls keep in Mind he wanted a more controlled Rubber with Tenergy like "charakter".
He is also 55 years old,i totally get the work on your game idea.
But if you get older you will notice,improvements are not as fast as when you were young.
no shade at anybody,but i agree with the V47.5 mentioned,play him myself and he is close to the rubber the Op wants.
I just want to state that there are a lot of older guys on the forum who simply can´t train enough as younger people.

The one thing to say about this, working on push and short game is very different than work on looping. Most people just don't do it. And it is not physically taxing but it is something that has everything to do with if you are finding yourself pushing long and high.

5-10 min at the outset of practice, as part of warming up, done for a few months, will help your pushing and short game dramatically. The angle your bat meets the ball on different kinds of spin, on a push is worth understanding. A lot of people who push long are holding the bat too hard, but they are also potentially having the bat angle too open for the ball they are pushing.

At 57 I have an idea of what someone at 55 can work on. 5-10 min at the outset of practice can do a lot to change your skill at pushing over the course of just a few months. :) And this would remain the case regardless of what rubber he is using. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.

i never said he shouldn´t get better,i just wanted to remark that somebody who played as long as you 2 guys,could have an understanding what he wants in his equipment.
Who says he doesn´t work on it,but came to the conclussion that the Tenergy is too demanding for him?
I just want to make sure,that ejing and training combined is not exclusive.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

i never said he shouldn´t get better,i just wanted to remark that somebody who played as long as you 2 guys,could have an understanding what he wants in his equipment.
Who says he doesn´t work on it,but came to the conclussion that the Tenergy is too demanding for him?
I just want to make sure,that ejing and training combined is not exclusive.

I do think changing to something less spin sensitive and less reactive than T05 is a good idea. I was not saying not to change. That is why I started with the idea that, maybe he has sorted out the rubber change.

There are so many rubbers that could be good for that, that I left it at the 28 comments before my first one for recommendations. I don't think there needs to be more than 3 or 4 recommendations.

I was just providing the technique and training that would help regardless of which rubber the OP uses. So.....I would say, we are sort of in agreement. Maybe just talking past each other.

I definitely did not say, and would not say, don't change rubbers. I think, even for just changing things, changing equipment can be fine.

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.

that was not purely about your response Carl,
but sometimes there is the "underlying" tone of Train more and quit EJ,as if you can´t do only one thing
So sry if i didn´t corecctly get my thought across.
yeah and i thought the Xiom V47.5 is more that kind of rubber than the Hammond Z2,i play both right now.
But there are lot of options out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl