Glossy table tops in Macao ????

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
IMG%2020221021%20105342%20jpg.jpeg

Just watched the " disaster" Harimoto vs. Falk and saw that in closeups ,at the serves there, was often a virtual mirror-image of
player and blade visible on the table surface. I was of the impression the rules stipulated that the surface should be matte.
On the first day of play I also found that the players were not playing there usual shots but were kinda "pussy-footing" a bit, as
if they tried to get used to the surface. I then accredited this to the camera angle which then was from pretty high above the table.

What do you think ?????

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
@ lodro
[size=+2]DHS SHITTY TABLES[/size]
Hi,dear
You are right indeed. DHS tables all are far below the ITTF technical standards as being glossy as hell. A mirror-like glassy plastic is used for the top-coating in defiance to the T4 standards. We did expertise on some most played tables by means of the electronic glossometer, the resulting gloss on DHS surface came out 73% versus the maximum allowance of 60. Much like a mirror glass.

In terms of glossiness, TIBHAR is the best for player's comfort vision using a really matt coating materials.

Be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldUser and lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
@ lodro
[size=+2]DHS SHITTY TABLES[/size]
Hi,dear
You are right indeed. DHS tables all are far below the ITTF technical standards as being glossy as hell. Shitty glassy plastic is used for the top-coating. We did expertise on some most played tables by means of the electronic glossometer, the resulting gloss on DHS surface came out 73 degrees, versus the maximum allowance of 60. Much like a mirror glass.

In terms of glossiness, TIBHAR is the best for player's comfort vision using a really matt coating materials.

Be happy.

thanks for this learned input my friend.
Now who said we can not learn new things. I am over 70 and I never even knew such a thing as
a gloss-ometer existed 😮

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
"I then accredited this to the camera angel" - sounds divine.......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I noticed that as well. I've seen Double Fish tables in person that had a really glossy finish and it was hard to hold spin. I didn't know DHS was the same way.

I suppose it doesn't have too much effect on the ball since the players still seem to play normally. However, I would never buy one for myself.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I noticed that as well. I've seen Double Fish tables in person that had a really glossy finish and it was hard to hold spin. I didn't know DHS was the same way.

I suppose it doesn't have too much effect on the ball since the players still seem to play normally. However, I would never buy one for myself.

I do not think they play normal, it looked to me that players had to do some serious adjusting .
Also , I have never seen so many fault-serves in any other tournament. Some of the very top players whacked
serves with under-spin into the net. The balls just seem to slide on this surface.
Why produce table finishes with such a gloss when the rules clearly state : MATTE ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

I do not think they play normal, it looked to me that players had to do some serious adjusting .
Also , I have never seen so many fault-serves in any other tournament. Some of the very top players whacked
serves with under-spin into the net. The balls just seem to slide on this surface.
Why produce table finishes with such a gloss when the rules clearly state : MATTE ?

I watched some games on youtube and was very suprised by the poor gameplay in multiple games too. Some players were happy just keeping the ball on the table. Between moregard and pitchford it was quite obvious.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I watched some games on youtube and was very suprised by the poor gameplay in multiple games too. Some players were happy just keeping the ball on the table. Between moregard and pitchford it was quite obvious.

That is exactly what i saw too, it looked like they were playing on ice - while standing on ice 😁
Not good enough !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Ok we all know WTT is ruled by China, nearly all the sponsors are chinese, therefore you'll get DHS balls and tables, ENLIO crappy flooring and be happy with it or leave it.

The next Olympics in Paris will be a joy for the players: Cornilleau 850 wood are probably the best tables nowadays, the best matte finish, are cool looking, the best rebound, the best grip, Gerflor flooring and last but not least: the best camera angles and directors from France 3.

The problem with the black tint in general is that it reflects way more glossiness than you think if it's not fully matte, on the contrary having a less darker tint, like green, blue or grey will give better results for both the spectators and the players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

thanks for this learned input my friend.
Now who said we can not learn new things. I am over 70 and I never even knew such a thing as
a gloss-ometer existed 😮

It exists indeed, it's largely used by pro photographers with the most commonly known luxmeter, and of course also by house painters. Cornilleau of course uses gloss meter devices too, as probably Tibhar or Donic to create their table's surface. Seems that the WTT staff, camera men and directors, and DHS still do not know how to use that device 🤣
https://www.elcometer.com/fr/how-to-measure-gloss-using-a-gloss-meter

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

FAN Zhendong vs LIN Yun-Ju | MS SF | WTT Just saw this great semifinal .

Adam Bobrow commented on serving mistakes by both players saying he
had never experienced a high level tournament with so many serving mistakes.
He hinted that it might be due to the winds created by the air-conditioning.
I also remember Timo Boll looking upwards after one of his serving mistakes.

I still blame the high gloss though. 😁

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

FAN Zhendong vs LIN Yun-Ju | MS SF | WTT Just saw this great semifinal .

Adam Bobrow commented on serving mistakes by both players saying he
had never experienced a high level tournament with so many serving mistakes.
He hinted that it might be due to the winds created by the air-conditioning.
I also remember Timo Boll looking upwards after one of his serving mistakes.

I still blame the high gloss though. 😁

Typical reaction when there are reflections on the table and you don't know where the glossiness comes from, we all do that ... right ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
The next Olympics in Paris will be a joy for the players: Cornilleau 850 wood are probably the best tables nowadays, the best matte finish, are cool looking, the best rebound, the best grip,
Gerflor flooring and last but not least: the best camera angles and directors from France 3.

I don't think so, from I have heard from someone close to both ITTF and Paris 2024: tables will be from DHS, balls from Double Fish and flooring from Enlio