Nets !!!!

I really hate losing points to a net !!!! I also hate getting points with a net !!! I always apologize to my opponent as I know how much it bothers me when it happens to me !!! If I could change the rules I would call a let whenever that happens ,so games are won by skill and not a lucky net!!! I know it will mean a longer game ?? But I think it's worth it to know you have won the right way without any luck involved!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I know it will mean a longer game ??

This is EXACTLY why I always felt that clothe nets are stupid, especally when ITTF whines about longer points for spectators

If the net was made of composite or materal such as an outdoor net (steel / aluminium ??) & if the top edge is designed in such a way that it won't damage the ball but also will prevent the ball from dribbling over even for slow short serves, then a net ball would bounce better and easier to return. A hard hit ball would land deeper and higher allowing opponent to attack and forcing opponent to lob (or chop) and result in more longer & spectacular rallies.

Oops I am sorry, I forgot ITTF wants 3rd ball attacks to end the points quickly & eliminate spectators. What am I thinking ? My bad. Sorry

Another huge advantage is the precise size of the net. No need for the stupid ritual of adjusting the net with net gauges etc.

When I used to play at clubs where we have to set up many tables at the gym, of the biggest problems was losing parts of net assembly or them breaking
And players are in a hurry to go home they just don't bother to look for lost net end assmeblies etc. What a pain.

In fact the such a net can be permanently attached to one half & folded down to one side when done.

BTW I also never understood why (an otherwise legal) net ball of a serve is a let but an edge ball of a serve is not a let.
I am against net lets. Most of us had the experience of (cheating) opponents calling a let on our best serves especially at deuce in deciding game. I see no need for lets on net serves while edge serves are not lets. But I assume this rule exists because of net dribbles but if the net is not a clothe net, this problem is almost eliminated.

Last edited:

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Just don’t play with a net then. Or go off and invent your own game - pickle ball is one of the fastest growing racket sports

Pointless, there’s so many other way you can be lucky.

Cheers
L-zr

I agree that there other ways to be lucky, e.g edges and miss hits ,but the net is the most common way to be lucky!! I once played a game where my opponent had 3 nets and 2 edges in one game !!! I was so mad 😂🤣🤣

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
If the ball is moving at any sort of velocity or spin it would usually divert out of bounds after hitting the net.

I actually embrace the challenge of returning nets as it shows your skills of anticipation and body/mind coordination.

Nets usually occur in the short game where there is opportunity for creative retrievals - rollers and chop blocks being 2 shots that come to mind 😀

Edges I admit are tough, though Samsonov showed his incredible feeling by being able to return one at the 2016 Qatar Open vs FZD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
If the ball is moving at any sort of velocity or spin it would usually divert out of bounds after hitting the net.

I actually embrace the challenge of returning nets as it shows your skills of anticipation and body/mind coordination.

Nets usually occur in the short game where there is opportunity for creative retrievals - rollers and chop blocks being 2 shots that come to mind 😀

Edges I admit are tough, though Samsonov showed his incredible feeling by being able to return one at the 2016 Qatar Open vs FZD.
That is why I said "The top edge of the net should be designed in such a way"
I meant to prevent dribbles but also not to bounce off hard. to go out of bounds with some absorption
How do you do it ? I do not know exactly but I do no think it is far fetched.
I also do not think all ball will fly off end esepcially back spin balls . But since back spin has been eliminated from tabletennis, I see your point

Reactions: ZFT

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
You can actually start training for nets by having a partner serve from a bucket of balls, eventually there will be a let service that you’ll be able to observe the change of trajectory and spin deviation. The best ones are pure sidespin serves as they drop over the side and you can attempt rollers.

For those landing inside the table it will be about training your arm to be used to extending out quickly but also relaxed at point of impact to cushion or feel the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Samsonov showed his incredible feeling by being able to return one at the 2016 Qatar Open vs FZD.
I always knew I was better than Samsonov because I usually managed to kill a high % of them
(I refuse however, to admit that I did thet only because my reflexes are way too slow to be able to do a controlled return 🙂)

• Haha
Reactions: ZFT
That is why I said "The top edge of the net should be designed in such a way"
I meant to prevent dribbles but also not to bounce off hard. to go out of bounds with some absorption
How do you do it ? I do not know exactly but I do no think it is far fetched.
I also do not think all ball will fly off end esepcially back spin balls . But since back spin has been eliminated from tabletennis, I see your point

A new firmer net would be a great idea 💡 I don't have a problem being beaten by great table tennis!!!!! But nets and edges are so hard to take!!!! Lazer says it's all part of the game, I know he is right but I wish it didn't bother me as much as it does!! I'm working so hard on the mental side of my game, which needs a lot of work!!!

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Nets wins are lucky, net and edge wins is even luckier!! Double. Happiness indeed!!!

on Wednesday we lost a match 6-4, last game was the doubles, we lost that 12-10, 12-10 and 11-5, opposition must have had at least 2 outright net winners in each of the 1st 2 ends, and 4 minimum in the 3rd!!!! And it was just one of their players that got the nets!!! Gutting 😡😂

Nets wins are lucky, net and edge wins is even luckier!! Double. Happiness indeed!!!

on Wednesday we lost a match 6-4, last game was the doubles, we lost that 12-10, 12-10 and 11-5, opposition must have had at least 2 outright net winners in each of the 1st 2 ends, and 4 minimum in the 3rd!!!! And it was just one of their players that got the nets!!! Gutting 😡😂

Wow 🥺 that's so unlucky!!! It hurts so much when you lose when you didn't deserve to!!!! They say it equals itself out , I'm so sure about it,also it's when it happens,and how it effects the rest of your game!!! That's why I say call a let so you might not have lost that game !!! I know most players won't agree with my opinion!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Just don’t play with a net then. Or go off and invent your own game - pickle ball is one of the fastest growing racket sports
LOL
I am not sure why exactly you sound so offended & lashing out blindly.
As a matter of fact I see no point of clothe nets in any racket sport or a net serve being a let (most epecially in tennis) for that matter.
Mostly because the net can be EXTEREMELY precise with a non clothe net if pre designed & built that way.
And the idiotic ritual of net measurements & adjustments before each match can be avoided.
And it really is horrible when someone forgets to tighten the net.

Seems to me that you are over obsessed with tradition maybe.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
LOL
I am not sure why exactly you sound so offended & lashing out blindly.
As a matter of fact I see no point of clothe nets in any racket sport or a net serve being a let (most epecially in tennis) for that matter.
Mostly because the net can be EXTEREMELY precise with a non clothe net if pre designed & built that way.
And the idiotic ritual of net measurements & adjustments before each match can be avoided.
And it really is horrible when someone forgets to tighten the net.

Seems to me that you are over obsessed with tradition maybe.
Pot meets kettle?

A lot of people complaining about net shots happening to them, but its also some times a disadvantage when your shot hits the net and still goes over, albeit a lot higher and weaker, setting up your opponent for an easy smash kill.

A few nets can set your opponent up,but more often the not it will spoil a brilliant rally!!!! As I hate when I win a point that way !!!! If the net was made stiffer with a harder top edge,I would think it would stop so many lucky net shots !!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

A few nets can set your opponent up,but more often the not it will spoil a brilliant rally!!!! As I hate when I win a point that way !!!! If the net was made stiffer with a harder top edge,I would think it would stop so many lucky net shots !!!!

There is no doubt that a net effects the quality of a shot, whether to the benefit of the shooter or the receiver. however, i don't think, in the long run, that the net is making a negative impact on the game.....

One interesting analysis would be to look at how many net shots happened at...say....WTT Macao...and see what percentage of those points went to the person who shot the net and which percentage went to those who were supposed to receive, otherwise we are just speculating.

Furthermore, it's not like its in anyones best interest to aim for the dreaded "netshot" because those would generally be low quality shots....in my opinion. .

Reactions: Draycott old man