Nets !!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

A few nets can set your opponent up,but more often the not it will spoil a brilliant rally!!!! As I hate when I win a point that way !!!! If the net was made stiffer with a harder top edge,I would think it would stop so many lucky net shots !!!!

As I atated earlier, the top edge should not not be too soft to cause unreachable net dribbles even for the quickest & tallest player for slowest serves or returne but on the other hand not cause fast and or spinny ball to fly off the table end or sides A cjhallange but can be done
Rest of the net canbe aluminium or steel or some sturdy composite material but the top of net can be different material if needed.
Also important is not having adjst the net.
Should be an integral part of even folding tables (Just quickly fold in or fold out the net to EXACT height) .
This could be an elctronic wireless net showing the score and sponsor advertisements, upcoming matches on table etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Draycott old man

There is no doubt that a net effects the quality of a shot, whether to the benefit of the shooter or the receiver. however, i don't think, in the long run, that the net is making a negative impact on the game.....

One interesting analysis would be to look at how many net shots happened at...say....WTT Macao...and see what percentage of those points went to the person who shot the net and which percentage went to those who were supposed to receive, otherwise we are just speculating.

Furthermore, it's not like its in anyones best interest to aim for the dreaded "netshot" because those would generally be low quality shots....in my opinion. .

That would be really interesting to get some percentages during a tournament.there are players at my club that hit the net more than others just because there shots stay very low to the net !!! Others like me arc is higher over the net.so get fewer nets .

Why ? Did you delibertely hit a net or edge ball , (like many posters here make the ridiculous claim that net balls is a skill that can be mastered) ??

So when someone hits a net winner, it is not deliberate. They deserve the point because it is 99.9999 % a valid return. You did not hit so by design.

No need to say I am sorry. for nets & edges.

Don't profusely apologize please

I raise my hand only to indicate that I won the point in case of a dispute & not to apologize.

But this has become even more annoying these days because players hit a clean super winner & apologize . I do not understand why.
This is very insulting & condescending to your opponent.
I can understand one doing so during practice but it is insulting in an actual match but I guess it becomes a habit if you keep apologizing during practice

You have your thoughts on the way you feel when you get a net !!! I know how I feel when my opponent gets a lucky net!! I hate losing a point like that !!!! So I know how I feel when it happens to me so I always apologize when I hit the net as I feel I'm a decent human being 🤠

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
If you're bothered by the "lucky" balls so much, why not just make up your own rules such as "any net or edge balls are lets", and tell your opponent that if they want to play with you, they must follow those rules? I sometimes play "must win on an attack" rule with some of my friends in order to avoid ourselves settling for pushes and blocks too much.

If you're bothered by the "lucky" balls so much, why not just make up your own rules such as "any net or edge balls are lets", and tell your opponent that if they want to play with you, they must follow those rules? I sometimes play "must win on an attack" rule with some of my friends in order to avoid ourselves settling for pushes and blocks too much.

Trust me I wish I wasn't bothered about nets and edges,I wish I didn't have my mental health issues,I know it's not anyone elses fault I'm like I am !!!! I could be a good player if I had the right mindset,but I don't so I'm enjoying training my girlfriend, as I can at least help her improve!!!

I don't think my opponent is not a decent human being if they do not apologize to me just because they won the point within the rules & they fully deserve the point. So I just don't worry about it or delve on it. If I do it is going to effect my play for the next point.

I wish I was that strong mentally,as it would affect me so badly so I had to stop playing matches which is sad because I'm not bad player when I'm positive!! I'm getting help now with my mental health so hopefully one day I could play matches again!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
That would be really interesting to get some percentages during a tournament.there are players at my club that hit the net more than others just because there shots stay very low to the net !!! Others like me arc is higher over the net.so get fewer nets .

I would definitely be interested in some statistics too lol. Because also have to remember, many times a shot hits the net and the bounces on the side of the person who made the shot. If i had to *speculate* i would guess its nearly 50/50 of the ball either bouncing on either side of the net after hitting the net.

Also, this is also just my guess, but i think at the armature level, the players actual height plays a factor in the amount of net shots. I am 5'8'' and i feel like my shots hit the net much more often than my buddy who plays that is over 6 feet tall. This could also just be speculation.....

Reactions: Draycott old man
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

I understand that the ITTF is looking at removing the let call if a service catches the top of the net. So in fact the only ways of having a let called would be due to interruption or "not ready". This would certainly bring it in-line with the edge ball on a serve. I saw this on OOAK, but the link is https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/F1_2022_AGM_Props_Res_EN.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
If I started a tabletennis center now, I would only use outdoor nets.as I am sick& tired of losing parts for brackets used with curent clothe nets or having to spend time adjusting them

And I would use a "no let for net serves" rule for tournamnets

And you'll probably shut down by the end of year because no one goes 🤣