Do you use overgrip on your blade handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
This seems like a huge decision, that is oddly underdiscussed. Do you use overgrip on your handle?

I hardly ever see people do this, but it seems like it could make a big positive benefit. Your control and grip over your racket could be much better. I imagine it would make a big difference on wristy shots like serve and BH loop and flick.

Why don't more people use grip? I just ordered 2 pieces of grip to see if it makes a big difference

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
Why don't more people use grip?
The tape will dull the "feeling" of the ball, but of course it depends on witch blade you are using, for example with ZJK SZLC blade probably you will not feel much difference with "feeling", because this blade is very stiff and vibrations from hitting the ball is almost non-existant, with some other blades with a lot of "vibrations" the effect of grip will be more apparent... and it also depends on what you like, a lot of vibrations, no vibrations, some kind of balance, for me it's a 3rd variant, I need some balance, but for me it's better to have heavily vibrating blade, then blade with no vibration (espessially on short play)... But, also thinking of at least trying tape on my Joola Vyzaryz Trinity and Stiga Cybershape, espessially on Trinity (with Stiga handle it's kinda sit well in hand even when my palm is sweaty... Trinity kinda slip a bit, espessially on performing BH topspin...), already bought butterfly grip tape, maybe will put it on racket today and will try it on tournament tomorrow...

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.
Puny human makes puny handle makes me wanna use double over-tape just to fit into me palm.

p/s I like big things.

d4df128c4e0f50eb02f05017d3a69b32%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
This seems like a huge decision, that is oddly underdiscussed. Do you use overgrip on your handle?

I hardly ever see people do this, but it seems like it could make a big positive benefit. Your control and grip over your racket could be much better. I imagine it would make a big difference on wristy shots like serve and BH loop and flick.

Why don't more people use grip? I just ordered 2 pieces of grip to see if it makes a big difference

lnteresting , since l use a st handle and its hard to grip it loosely on full loops loose equals fast swings more relaxed speed solution was to use just 18cm length 3 cms wide of tennis grip tape at the butt end so most is still wood it just makes a slight flare, ideal solution since l found flare blades are so thin at the blade head too fat at the handle . l hated hitting backhands with flare yet forehands were great. l saw a pro using this on you tube and ureaka ! it hit the ideal! .l tried a full handle grip but it lacked feel and gave that up.. ,,

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Do you all use the wrapped grip or the sleeve grip?

Can you just use badminton/tennis grip? Or is there something specific to TT that requires a different grip?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

Can you just use badminton/tennis grip? Or is there something specific to TT that requires a different grip?

The Hockey stick tape I use is a roll of tape that I wrap the handle with. You can use Tennis grip. I tried it years ago, but it was too grippy for my preference and made it difficult for me to quickly adjust my grip between FH and BH.

This user has no status.

The Tibhar badminton grip tape. Depending on how you wrap the handle you will throw away like a third or half of the tape. I don't recommend the Nittaku grip tape since sweat got through and it's too expensive if you change the tape every three to four weeks like I do. I also tried the Wilson tennis grip tape, but its surface is glossy so it might not absorb sweat as well as others because it smells pretty bad to be honest right now after less than four weeks. If you end up using tape don't forget to change it regularly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I used overgrip on my handle once but I ended up removing it because I didnt get the right feeling of the ball hitting the racket. When the overgrip was on my racket I did have a greater grip on the racket but i couldn't feel the spin of the ball. When I removed it I could feel the spin of the ball and make small adjustments to get the ball where I wanted it to be

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I used overgrip on my handle once but I ended up removing it because I didnt get the right feeling of the ball hitting the racket. When the overgrip was on my racket I did have a greater grip on the racket but i couldn't feel the spin of the ball. When I removed it I could feel the spin of the ball and make small adjustments to get the ball where I wanted it to be
Interesting. I don't think many pros use grip either.

The reason I started thinking about grips is that one blade I have in particular is slightly slippery to me. but it sounds like there is a bit of a tradeoff from lack of feeling

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

The reason I started thinking about grips is that one blade I have in particular is slightly slippery to me. but it sounds like there is a bit of a tradeoff from lack of feeling

Have you tried sanding the slippery grip with about 180 grit sandpaper ?
Also, if one gets the right thin handle cover you will not really feel the difference or will adapt to it within a half-hour of play

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I change a bit. Feel like it is easier to hold loose but agree that it feels a bit dampened. Maybe it depends on the grip and how it is made? i try to have a thin layer.

This user has no status.

Indeed, not a lot of pro's use overgrip. I do remember Valdimir Samsonov using quite a lot of grip tape on his handles during his later years (i guess 2010-2018).
At that moment i think he was still in the top 20-30 of the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I am using the Tannius Tennis Racket Grip Tape (from Amazon.com). 9 for $12. I can do 2 rackets with one so that's 18 rackets' grip for $12. I use the usual edge tape at the end of the racket and cut the rest off with the scissors I use for the rubbers. Works really well, I've done ~20 rackets like this.