High throw for topspin low throw for Backspin

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
The question I have is regarding throw angle.
Some rubbers have a low throw angle, some high.

So a rubber with a high throw angle will send the ball higher over the net when playing a top spin v top spin?.
and then when playing top spin v back spin the high throw is usually considered an aid to help top spin against back spin.

When playing a push is the throw actually lower?? Is the ball more likely to dive downwards?

I suppose what I’m getting at - is it a mirror image??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Rakza Z has a pretty high throw / low throw angle. I have to open blade alot more against backspin. There’s always a trade off!! Need to get technique sorted for better pushes.

Hmmm. Indeed my RZ has a quite high throw and I have to close the angle while opening against backspin but while pushing the ball stays low, so I have to open a bit or play a bit earlier.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Next Level coined the Phrase HTSB (High Toss Servey Bastard) about how I serve. There are good reasons why I toss high. (I get more time to see the ball and time my impact... plus I get more spin)
High throw, high toss, what's the difference.....the goon squad will come and get you for only one of them.....an engineer will come and get you for the other.....

@IB66: Could you tell me what you mean by high throw? Is that a rubber that is very grippy and so, causes the ball to come off the racket higher vs topspin? If so, pushing vs heavy backspin may have the same effect: or, as you said, "the mirror image". What physical property could cause the rubber to respond differently to backspin, met at the same angle relative to the spin, as it would to topspin?

And, what does high throw mean? My money says, if you ask 20 different people you will get just about as many different answers. And I am not so sure they will be coherent. I also have a feeling different people will say that any given rubber is low throw or high throw depending on a lot of different things. For instance, I have heard H3 be called high throw and I have also heard it called low throw.

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
High throw, high toss, what's the difference.....the goon squad will come and get you for only one of them.....an engineer will come and get you for the other.....

@IB66: Could you tell me what you mean by high throw? Is that a rubber that is very grippy and so, causes the ball to come off the racket higher vs topspin? If so, pushing vs heavy backspin may have the same effect: or, as you said, "the mirror image". What physical property could cause the rubber to respond differently to backspin, met at the same angle relative to the spin, as it would to topspin?

And, what does high throw mean? My money says, if you ask 20 different people you will get just about as many different answers. And I am not so sure they will be coherent. I also have a feeling different people will say that any given rubber is low throw or high throw depending on a lot of different things. For instance, I have heard H3 be called high throw and I have also heard it called low throw.
Hi Carl,
Yeah different folks different strokes!!
So, personally I find Rakza Z has a higher throw, ie when I play a FH topspin v topspin ball clears the net by a larger margin than some other rubbers.
When pushing I have to open the face more, like Kolev..
Rakza Z is pretty tacky, and one would think the whole composition, blade, sponge rubber etc etc could influence how the ball leaves the bat.

so for those H3 users that say the throw is low, top spin v top spin, would they say the throw was high for back spin v back spin?? Or easy to push v backspin?

Should the angle the ball leaves the bat be opposites???( or very close to!!) when incoming ball speed is the same, rpm’s are the same for top spin and backspin, bat angle is the same but opposite, FH top spin 45 degree closed, FH push 45 degrees open. Length of stroke, speed of stroke are the same but on lines of 45 degrees up and forward, and 45 degrees down and forward,

if you filmed the FH stroke, inverted it, then superimposed footage of a chop stroke would the images match?

BB would have a field day!!!🤣🤣​​​​​​​

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Info:

in terms of arc on the ball, I think you are better off talking about spin to speed ratio which is what would determine a trajectory that has more of a downward pull or conversely, speed to spin would determine more of a flat trajectory. If there is more of a downward pull on the ball, and therefore, more of an arc to the trajectory of the ball, the ratio of spin to speed would need to be higher so that the spin could pull the ball down enough to overcome enough of the forward momentum. If the trajectory is flatter, the ratio of speed to spin would need to be higher so that the spin would not impact the forward trajectory of the ball as much.

If instead, you are talking about the ball kicking up or getting pulled down after hitting the rubber, that would simply be a detail that reflected how grippy the topsheet is: if you take a racket and have it just held with the blade face vertical and a ball with x amount of topspin hits it, the ball will kick higher up if the topsheet has more grip. If the ball had backspin at the same rpms (same speed of spin--revolutions per minute, or per second if you want a smaller measurement) and it hit that same vertically held blade with the same rubber on it, the angle of the ball leaving the blade face going down, should be very close to the same as the angle upward that the topspin ball took. Why did I say, "very close to the same" instead of "the same"? Gravity.