Penhold RBP grip turning grip "open" or not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I found out my RPB works better when my blade is slightly more open (i almost exclusively play RPB except for push, so also for block and "flat hit" albeit the latter rarely happens).

For that I have twisted my hand on the handle slightly counter clockwise (I'm a lefty) so bat is more open on rpb and closed on FH. For that to work I had to use a lot of sanding or it would hurt.

So a normal grip would be more like this with the index finger fully on the face of the blade.

But I twist my hand slightly on the handle so that the second knuckle of the index is more on the side of the blade

That makes my blade more closed on FH with same hand angle
IMG%2020221104%20094727%20jpg.jpeg

Is that a mistake that has disadvantages in other areas or can that work that way?

Last edited:
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
I am also a 2 wings penholder and I think one reason for your opening angle is due to your wrist being stiff. With straight fingers like that your FH will be more consistent but your wrist will be a bit locked, while RPB requires relaxed and a bit loose wrist. I suggest you use 2 fingers as support and curl your fingers a little on the BH side, that will make it easier to do RPB

I am also a 2 wings penholder and I think one reason for your opening angle is due to your wrist being stiff. With straight fingers like that your FH will be more consistent but your wrist will be a bit locked, while RPB requires relaxed and a bit loose wrist. I suggest you use 2 fingers as support and curl your fingers a little on the BH side, that will make it easier to do RPB

this tip is one of the best for penhold players! personally i play with 3 straight fingers because im forehand dominant and i use much more bh punchs and blocks. when i played with this grip, rpb topspin and loop became a lot easier but i lose the pressure on forehand, so i prefer straight fingers for my playstyle for example.

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
Interesting to note is pressing the thumb can open the angle a lot. Dang Qiu does this pretty often. I would say to not worry about deviating your grip too much last picture on Post #3 looks good

yes, in this video Dang Qiu explains his grip, the thumb and index finger does an important job in guiding the ball