Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
it might be a placebo effect, but wrapping the blade around the ball does have an effect on the ball played.
I notice this especially when opening up against backspin, since the blade movement would be more vertical then regular topspin loops. Basically building a roof for the ball so the trajectory is not too high when opening up against backspin does help. That is just my observation from doing multiball drills opening up against backspin.

This video does talk about the three possible hitting planes as well:

Reactions: NextLevel
Don’t forget where you hit the ball, You should hit it somewhat forward of your body. Further back will very often result in stroke #1 above.
Also you body should lean forward, absolutely not backward.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
it might be a placebo effect, but wrapping the blade around the ball does have an effect on the ball played.
I notice this especially when opening up against backspin, since the blade movement would be more vertical then regular topspin loops. Basically building a roof for the ball so the trajectory is not too high when opening up against backspin does help. That is just my observation from doing multiball drills opening up against backspin.

This video does talk about the three possible hitting planes as well:

I remember lots of posts I first read when I joined webforums saying that all that matters is what happens at the contact with the ball. My observation was more similar to yours, where I tried different stroke planes and got different trajectories and then learned to adapt my stroke plane to what I wanted the ball to do while trying to keep going over it. Maybe all that matters is what happens at contact, but what you intend to do through the whole path of the swing has an effect on the ball because how you intend to finish the stroke does affect the stroke path/plane at the ball. But I don't think there is any special way to achieve racket head speed that would be any different from someone learning to throw a discuss or frisbee a good distance (though a TT racket is relatively light and timing and repetition are key).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I remember lots of posts I first read when I joined webforums saying that all that matters is what happens at the contact with the ball. My observation was more similar to yours, where I tried different stroke planes and got different trajectories and then learned to adapt my stroke plane to what I wanted the ball to do while trying to keep going over it. Maybe all that matters is what happens at contact, but what you intend to do through the whole path of the swing has an effect on the ball because how you intend to finish the stroke does affect the stroke path/plane at the ball. But I don't think there is any special way to achieve racket head speed that would be any different from someone learning to throw a discuss or frisbee a good distance (though a TT racket is relatively light and timing and repetition are key).

And my comment was specific to Dominikk85 and how he is trying to improve his FH. He has posted video. He has made a few threads on the subject. The main issue is not the technique as much as it is the need for repetitions to get the technique he has smoother and more confident.

I honestly don't have a problem with any of the info you presented. But I think if Dominikk spends too much time messing around with different techniques and never grooves or understands any of them, he will have the same issues of tension and a slow stroke as a result of that tension that, to my eye has a lot to do with him trying to make micro-controls of his FH technique.

For instance, at one point he was trying to use both upper arm and lower arm, but, had the idea in his head that, as soon as the lower arm (forearm) started moving, the upper arm needed to stop. The result was that his body and his arm were moving in a disjointed way.....and this was simply in a shadow stroke, which was also not at all what he was doing when the ball was there, which was a different version of the legs, the torso and the arm movement not synchronizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

And my comment was specific to Dominikk85 and how he is trying to improve his FH. He has posted video. He has made a few threads on the subject. The main issue is not the technique as much as it is the need for repetitions to get the technique he has smoother and more confident.

I honestly don't have a problem with any of the info you presented. But I think if Dominikk spends too much time messing around with different techniques and never grooves or understands any of them, he will have the same issues of tension and a slow stroke as a result of that tension that, to my eye has a lot to do with him trying to make micro-controls of his FH technique.

For instance, at one point he was trying to use both upper arm and lower arm, but, had the idea in his head that, as soon as the lower arm (forearm) started moving, the upper arm needed to stop. The result was that his body and his arm were moving in a disjointed way.....and this was simply in a shadow stroke, which was also not at all what he was doing when the ball was there, which was a different version of the legs, the torso and the arm movement not synchronizing.

Your specific advice having seen his stroke is more valuable than anything I can say.

This user has no status.

I hold the same point of view with you for the full stroke.
The intention of the full stroke does matter. I know the stroke after the contact doesn't affect the ball, but I think the intention of the full stroke does shape the stroke before and on the contact.

No evidence for that, but this can be proved by the result of the strokes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have tried the turning in move and I think so far it has helped my loop. I haven't done it very much, just a very slight turn in of the wrist of maybe 5 degrees or so.

I feel it helps me hitting the ball a little thinner and do a little "cupping" over the top so I can swing faster without it going long.

I'm not sure this is really what's going on here, the slight closing thought in reality might just counteract some unconscious opening of the blade so In reality I'm just keeping it constant.

I will post another video next week but overall I'm landing more loops on the table and I feel I'm getting more spin.

Might of course just be more practice.