Did anyone encounter splintering issue with Carbonado 290?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade to a Stiga Carbonado 290 but the only thing deterring me is the known splintering issue with the stiga blades.

I'm only concerned as table tennis equipment is very expensive in Pakistan and I don't want to use hardware lacquer/sanding technique on a new blade.

If it's really required I will have to get someone to bring a table tennis lacquer from abroad whenever they come. Could take months.

What do guys suggest I do?

I'll be using Donic Vario Glue.

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade to a Stiga Carbonado 290 but the only thing deterring me is the known splintering issue with the stiga blades.

I'm only concerned as table tennis equipment is very expensive in Pakistan and I don't want to use hardware lacquer/sanding technique on a new blade.

If it's really required I will have to get someone to bring a table tennis lacquer from abroad whenever they come. Could take months.

What do guys suggest I do?

I'll be using Donic Vario Glue.

TIA

Don't use that glue. Either use Revolution no3 or DHS no 15 and you will be fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Never heard that one, I have owned several Stiga blades but not that one. When you remove the rubbers you should do it from side to side against the grain.

Cheers
L-zr
Have you encountered splintering problems with your stiga blades? Did you seal them?

Nope, I always seal my blades but splintering is almost always removing old rubbers the wrong way. But as the top layer gets old and dry it splinters more easily. I seriously doubt that the glue you are using is any worse. All modern water based glues are mild. I recently had my primorac carbon with a Hinoki top splinter a little bit on me but it was from 1996 and I pealed the rubbers the wrong way. Never had it happened after that.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhammad Saim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Well, the only available glues here are the Donic one, Tibhar power clue, and maybe butterfly free chack II

Is aliexpress available there? You can search for DHS no 15. I have not seen free chack 2 but free chack 1 was a disgusting glue that can ruin your blade and is near impossible to remove from the sponge of the rubber without damaging it. I would avoid german made glues like free chack 1, vario, tibhar etc etc at all cost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015

Is aliexpress available there? You can search for DHS no 15. I have not seen free chack 2 but free chack 1 was a disgusting glue that can ruin your blade and is near impossible to remove from the sponge of the rubber without damaging it. I would avoid german made glues like free chack 1, vario, tibhar etc etc at all cost.

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the glues I mentioned because AliExpress is currently not available and international shipping will kill me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
You don’t really need special lacquer or varnish, mostly any vernal use wood varnish should work just the same, just make sure you use a very small amount. As for the blade, my friend has a Carbonado 290, it has slight splintering problems but not too bad.

Reactions: Muhammad Saim