Using a softer rubber in a cold venue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I often play in a colder venue around 10-12 degree celsius (50F) in the winter. Would it make sense to use a softer rubber than usual there as the cold makes the rubber feel harder?

And vice versa should you use a harder rubber/sponge when you play above 30 degrees celsius (like 86F or so)? Or wouldn't it make sense to adjust that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I would pass to play in such conditions, it's supposed to be fun...

Cheers
L-zr

Not a real option in Germany if you play in an official league...

1.5 Temperature
The temperature in the game room (box) must be at least +15° Celsius.

1.6 Exceptions
If a club is unable to comply with the provisions of WO I 1.1 to I 1.5 on a permanent or temporary basis
without any significant fault on its part, it may apply to the responsible body for an exemption for a limited period of time (until the end of the current season at the latest).
for a limited period of time (up to the end of the current season at the latest).

https://www.tischtennis.de/fileadmi...nung_des_DTTB_mit_AEnderungen_vom_BT_2019.pdf

That's way I'm also getting softer rubbers. No problem for my FH: H3 39/40 to H3 38/39. BH gets interesting... H8-80 and H3 are not available softer than 37. So I will try Skyline 3-60 35 or try to select light and hopefully softer H8-80/H3 37... or go completely illegal and get some heating pads or similar stuff to heat the racket before matches and in between.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Wow, if a club did that here no one would play there!

I've noticed that in winter my rubber is a little harder and slightly less grippy. I feel in the summer months my rubber feels much more grippy. However in high humidity it can slip. Therefore your assumption on using softer rubber when colder seems valid. However how much of an effect would that change your game? I wonder if pros change rubber based on temperature.

Not a real option in Germany if you play in an official league...

1.5 Temperature
The temperature in the game room (box) must be at least +15° Celsius.

1.6 Exceptions
If a club is unable to comply with the provisions of WO I 1.1 to I 1.5 on a permanent or temporary basis
without any significant fault on its part, it may apply to the responsible body for an exemption for a limited period of time (until the end of the current season at the latest).
for a limited period of time (up to the end of the current season at the latest).

https://www.tischtennis.de/fileadmi...nung_des_DTTB_mit_AEnderungen_vom_BT_2019.pdf

That's way I'm also getting softer rubbers. No problem for my FH: H3 39/40 to H3 38/39. BH gets interesting... H8-80 and H3 are not available softer than 37. So I will try Skyline 3-60 35 or try to select light and hopefully softer H8-80/H3 37... or go completely illegal and get some heating pads or similar stuff to heat the racket before matches and in between.

I thought Germany was a bit more sophisticated. That’s ridiculous, really… Don’t forget your skates 😮

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think 15 degrees is rare but like 16-17 can be pretty common.

But that is a pretty off topic discussion, the real question is whether a softer rubber helps at lower temperatures or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I think 15 degrees is rare but like 16-17 can be pretty common.

Last year we had to play in some venues with lower temperatures. Mainly because of covid ventilation guidelines/regulations but also because some venues had broken heating systems or windows that couldn't be closed...

But that is a pretty off topic discussion, the real question is whether a softer rubber helps at lower temperatures or not.

Rubber becomes harder with lower temperatures. So both sponge and topsheet become harder. Therefore I expect that a softer sponge will only help a bit (i.e. does not get harder than the usual sponge hardness at normal room temperatures) but since the topsheet is still the same the feeling and performance will be different/worse. In theory both sponge and topsheet would need to become softer to compensate...
Maybe I try plasticizers on both the topsheet and sponge of an old sheet of H3 ;)