Backhand rubber for Hurricane Long 5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Hi everyone, I've been tempted by reading too many TT forums and had a bit of spare cash so have got myself a Hurricane Long 5 with a Neo National Blue Sponge 39 on the FH as I want to give it a go while I'm not playing too many serious matches.

Any thoughts on a BH rubber. Most of my attacks start on the FH side and in a match situation the short game and blocking are important on the BH but I'm not a defender and do need to attack with it as well.

Many thanks as ever to all the experts here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone, I've been tempted by reading too many TT forums and had a bit of spare cash so have got myself a Hurricane Long 5 with a Neo National Blue Sponge 39 on the FH as I want to give it a go while I'm not playing too many serious matches.

Any thoughts on a BH rubber. Most of my attacks start on the FH side and in a match situation the short game and blocking are important on the BH but I'm not a defender and do need to attack with it as well.

Many thanks as ever to all the experts here.

So many options and really depends on your skill level on the BH side - I am an intermediate player with a developing backhand so I have settled on Rakza 7 as a really balanced rubber on BH. I have also tried D05 & Rasanter C48 and both were good, if slightly harder to control and less forgiving.

Reactions: Equaaz and TTNL
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
You could use D09c on backhand, to mimic the BH of FZD, LGY, and LYJ.

Otherwise, a lot of HL5 users seem to use H3 37 on backhand.

Pretty sure LGY still uses D05 which is probably a faster and easier to engage rubber.

the other options, especially h3, require a really good to flawless technique and i actually would never recommend it. If someone would insist of using chinese rubbers, i would more likely recommend H8 (37°) for example. Or if you want more speed and an easier to use rubber than D09c, you could go for Rakza Z which i would still use, of they werent go that high up with their prices...

Besides that, as per usual, it is hard to srsly recommend smth without having to see you play.

Reactions: TTNL
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
actually I will also be buying this blade soon and was wondering about bh rubber. What about T05, victas v15 extra,T05fx or any softer European rubber (evolution, rakza soft, something from donic) ?I am also fh oriented player with mainly blocks/chop-blocks on bh, but would like to have controlled bh attack.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Rakza 7 is the perfect middle.
After few month with it, we can help you if you need change something. It's a reference among all ESN/JAP rubbers.
Tenergy 05 can be a good choice too, but faster and more difficult to play.

You bought this racquet to please yourself, tell us which rubbers make you want it.

actually I will also be buying this blade soon and was wondering about bh rubber. What about T05, victas v15 extra,T05fx or any softer European rubber (evolution, rakza soft, something from donic) ?I am also fh oriented player with mainly blocks/chop-blocks on bh, but would like to have controlled bh attack.
Tenergy 05 FX is the perfect BH rubber IMO. I was using Rakza 7 and 7 soft for two years. And recently stumbled on to a Butterfly sale. After changing I’m not sure I will be able to ever go back…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Tenergy 05 FX is the perfect BH rubber IMO. I was using Rakza 7 and 7 soft for two years. And recently stumbled on to a Butterfly sale. After changing I’m not sure I will be able to ever go back…

Cheers
L-zr

That’s interesting - I’m a die hard R7 user on my BH with T05 on FH. What is it about 05FX you like better than R7?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
I currently have T05 fx, but on totally different blade (Jonyer from 80s or 90s) and I actually had more controll with dignics 64 dhs n301 that I borrowed from someone for one game, so I think that the most important is good affinity of rubber and blade. Same with Mizuno Q5, I love it on fh on inner and outer carbon blades, but hate it on wooden blades, so I was wondering if dhs w968 also goes better with harder or softer rubbers. I am living in Japan now and humidity is so bad that the ball is just dropping on anything else than dignics for me (of course my technique is also a problem), so I guess I need really good grippy (not tacky) topsheet.

That’s interesting - I’m a die hard R7 user on my BH with T05 on FH. What is it about 05FX you like better than R7?

It’s hardness is in inbetween Rakza 7 and 7 soft but it has way better grip than both of those. I am able to hit the harder and more secure. I must say I love it on both my 5 ply SDC blades. It’s basically a Tenergy 05 with a softer sponge and the difference between T05 an T05 FX is smaller than between 7 and 7 s.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
It’s hardness is in inbetween Rakza 7 and 7 soft but it has way better grip than both of those. I am able to hit the harder and more secure. I must say I love it on both my 5 ply SDC blades. It’s basically a Tenergy 05 with a softer sponge and the difference between T05 an T05 FX is smaller than between 7 and 7 s.

Cheers
L-zr

I wasn't aware that R7 was harder than 05FX - I guess I thought they were around the same at 45 ish?

I like R7 very much but am also a big fan of T05 on my FH so may try FX.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Tangential question which Wrighty or other UK users may know - is there anywhere you can take a bat in London to pay to get it made up professionally?

I know how to change a basic rubber but for more expensive equipment I'd ideally like to pay someone to get it exactly right.

Many thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Tangential question which Wrighty or other UK users may know - is there anywhere you can take a bat in London to pay to get it made up professionally?

I know how to change a basic rubber but for more expensive equipment I'd ideally like to pay someone to get it exactly right.

Many thanks

There’s a few shops that will do it for you for a small charge if you purchase the rubber from them.

Alternatively you might find a friendly club member to help?