Blade splintering due to rubber overhang

2E39DE98%202931%204E41%209B6B%20C7285388DFE7%20jpeg.jpeg

A little warning what can happen if you have rubber overhang and it catches the table…

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The edge tape prevents the rubber to catch, I don’t use it normally but I’m thinking about it now.

Cheers
L-zr

You are telling me that the bond made by the rubber glue is stronger than the bond created by the glue used to laminate
the wood veneers together ?????? 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: rbtitco
Yep, it’s not unusual I’ve seen it before. This blade is glued with hide glue and this the top of the racket so the force is along the fibers where it’s the weakest. And it’s a soft Hinoki top layer. Also the glue is effected by water during cleaning. Not really surprising when I think of it but luckily it’s an easy fix and at the blades edge it’s just a matter of preventing it to break more.

Cheers
L-zr

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yep, it’s not unusual I’ve seen it before. This blade is glued with hide glue and this the top of the racket so the force is along the fibers where it’s the weakest. And it’s a soft Hinoki top layer. Also the glue is effected by water during cleaning. Not really surprising when I think of it but luckily it’s an easy fix and at the blades edge it’s just a matter of preventing it to break more.

Cheers
L-zr

which blade is this ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There are foam edge tapes that are like 2 or 3mm thick. Maybe they will offer a better protection.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014

Aahh, but which glue does one use when the original glue was made from hide and hoof

Being at the edge of the blade, I don't think it would matter wether you boiled your own animal products to make hide glue, or simply used superglue from the local market

Reactions: SamTheMan

sure sure, any glue that does not mind gluing bits of hide glue together 😁

That will not be a problem. It’s possible I can the re-use the old wood, if not any thin piece will do. I more worried about stripping the rubber and it’s still have lots of life in it…

Cheers
L-zr

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1] JUST A REMINDER [/size]
According to an instructive message for umpires, the rubber area of 1cm wide all along the racket edge should not be judged as part of playing area, hence any damage occured within the area is well admitted however bad it may be. For example, chewing the racket in elation or to vent off anger would be always allowed by umpire.

Be happy.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
my personal thoughts > because i know that the glue used to make the blade is much stronger than the glue used
to glue the rubber to the blade , I conclude that while the rubber in the push indeed got peeled back, I think the edge of the blade also made contact with the table and it is this action that lifted the top-veneer .

P.S. Tip to Igor : it is highly advisable to add some nice quality Jam or marmalade to the blade before you have a good bite

I don’t think so I think was just the rubber, can’t be sure though but the touch felt soft. It’s no big deal I’ll fix it, probably first by gluing the loose piece and keep playing with it until the rubber is dead and then fix it permanently.

Gotta go for a training session now…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: lodro