FZD transition to a new style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I don’t know if it’s just me. I realise FZD plays a slightly different style as compared to last year.

When he was using Vis Golden, he plays pretty much like Liu Gaoyuan - close to table, lots of hard hitting and flicking.

I noticed the times he stepped further away has increased. He almost plays more and more like ML. He’s launching more FH loop from mid distance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I wouldnt make the conparison to ML because he doesnt fullswing from nearly every position and uses his bh way more.
But the rest i did observe too, especially noticable in the recent chinese national championships. And i must say the transition is not complete or is not that effective. Like in his tournaments before, in which he got kicked out before, it totally backfired. And in the teamevent he had many many issues.
Just recently in the singles event he played it better but still made way more points by hitting earlier, closer to his playingstyle before. Everytime he steppes back, especially against LGY, he struggled and lost many points that way.

I am wondering if the reason for that is his new blade, which is probably slower, or if he actually trained that style of play by the time he wasnt competing by the start of the year... We will see if he actually will change his style for good

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
No chance he'd change style to accommodate new equipment; it works the other way around. As far as the style change, it's not only FZD. In matches I've watched in recent events there's been a lot more mid-distance rallying. One guess is it goes along with counter attacking tactics that encourage the opponent to open up first. More long pushing, more dead ball backhand serves to provoke weak banana flicks, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Probably the question is, why did FZD change his blade in the first place? From an extremely high quality Viscaria Golden to a ALC <$200?

Personally I haven’t played either blade. But I heard Vis Golden has a more crisp feel and a higher max speed than FZD ALC. Vis Goden worked quite well with his previous style and strategy.

So why did he change to FZD ALC?

Reactions: longle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Probably the question is, why did FZD change his blade in the first place? From an extremely high quality Viscaria Golden to a ALC <$200?

Personally I haven’t played either blade. But I heard Vis Golden has a more crisp feel and a higher max speed than FZD ALC. Vis Goden worked quite well with his previous style and strategy.

I suspect that he is still playing with the same blade as before, but only with the FZD ALC handle (for obvious commercial reasons).

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

I suspect that he is still playing with the same blade as before, but only with the FZD ALC handle (for obvious commercial reasons).

Highly doubt that this time. Especially because it is clearly at display that he does play slower and a bit different.
But overall it is not like he lost any of is abilities. He still plays all of the shots he could play before and i still would say he reaches his top speed shots (same speed as before) but just not as regularly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Highly doubt that this time. Especially because it is clearly at display that he does play slower and a bit different.
But overall it is not like he lost any of is abilities. He still plays all of the shots he could play before and i still would say he reaches his top speed shots (same speed as before) but just not as regularly

Yeah I agree. His shot is slower but has a higher level of spin than before. Purely from an observation point of view, he definitely has changed his blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I doubt the equipment makes a big difference for him, maybe he is just using this year to experiment a little and bring a bit more variety into his game.

At first it might make him worse but long term he might benefit if he finds the right balance.

The modern game is close to the table with fast actions but players who have a very extreme style in that regard like lin gaoyuan or harimoto can reach a ceiling. Harimoto also improved his half distance play and maybe FZD wants to do something similar and take more big swings from half distance.

If it doesn't work he can always go back to his old style but maybe he still will have some carryover to his game next year.

The last weeks weren't great by his standard but this year was definitely the right time to experiment a little so he can find his game for paris Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

Because its part of his contract with Butterfly

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews

I had a chance to try both and you are correct, the Vis Gold has a crispier feeling, it can generates more power than the FZD ALC, I think to suit the new blade, he has to play slower to generate more body power