I want to try short pips, what racket should I build for this?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Also keep in mind that there are a whole bunch of players who correctly do want to use long pips on weakside but are so terrified of social rejection, humiliation & ridicule that they resort to short pips on weakside. So, in this context short pips is essentially a social rubber and not a functional rubber in the hands of a low-level amateur, very similar to how antispin like rubbers like Tenergy are social rubbers & just status symbols in the hands of low level amateurs.

Same shit, different day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I would certainly be willing to approach the spreadsheet with an open mind...but to paraphraser Carl Sagan, I'm not going to have such an open mind that my brain falls out! So, in order to give this spreadsheet proper consideration, can you show how you have objectively arrived at the ratings contained in the spreadsheet? Can you give us some insight into the sorts of experiments that were conducted to actually test rubber types and objectively measure them against the desired parameters? How many participants were involved in the experiments, what was their playing level etc. I presume you would only test a particular rubber type with someone that was competent to use them (no point in asking a two-winged looper to test a long pimple as clearly they're not going to be able to do the rubber justice). And on that note, I notice that the spreadsheet only talks very generically about the rubber types...but as we all know there are quite a lot of variations even within a specific category type...so which specific "make and model" of rubbers did you test in each category? You should definitely state this on your spreadsheet to define the scope of your undertakings.

As things stand at the moment, your spreadsheet proposes a rating system and then makes some comments/remarks....but we have no way of assessing the validity of any of this; you could have simply made up those ratings in order to support the position you wish to promote. Also, the spreadsheet appears to be incomplete as there are lots of blank boxes. Is testing still underway in those areas?

I agree with you that this spreadsheet is somewhat incomplete. This is based on my years & year of experience in the sport (other sports like tennis etc.) I am not going to be able to precisely explain every single cell and defend myself but was written just to give a general idea. As for teats & experiments this is based on my many many iterations of using these rubbers back and forth in leagues & tournaments & designing rackets for other players. I know I will be viciously attacked anyway & why.
For example in another test I performed a comparison test of high aspect ratio super long pips against the long pips on ITTF LARC that are garbage in the 40+ plastic ball era. I explained this test in another post. This was against mostly 1900 to 2300 loopers that were available in my area for me to test and out of about 15 to 20 players only 2 or 3 passed my torture test & nobody passed by twiddle test. I would like to test with players over 2300 and I am sure the % players who will pass my torture test will slightly improve. But my point is not exact statistics. My point is how useless the ITTF LARC long pips in the 40+ ball era. There were other similar practical tests over the years.
This spreadsheet is not trying prove that every cell is a perfect value. This is just for players to have a general thought process going. Take it for whatever worth and I don't exactly expect a medal or win a popularity contest
I will try to keep improving it & updating it as I get time or inclination but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: merlin el mago
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

So would it be fair to say that pretty much all of the information contained on the spreadsheet (the ratings given and the commentary included) relates to your own personal experience with the rubbers? If so, this isn’t really an objective set of results gained from scientific testing across a population of test subjects; it’s basically just a summary of your own personal experiences with playing with the various rubbers…such that if someone else were to carry out the same tests they could come to a very different set of conclusions.

Ok whatver you say.
You win. I am just trolling aimlessly
I am not going to go in circle again & again. I said take ir or leave it for whatever it is worth

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I'd recommend Jolie the OP to ignore James' personal experience, seriously. OR you will get confused so much that you may not want to play table tennis again lol.

True story. In my club there is a player who used to be a 2300 rating player in US. He had very good forehand and a decent good BH loop to set up for his strong FH. When he got older and slower in his 60's he got beaten badly with a younger left-handed folk who uses LP on BH and SH on FH. This is because he is too slow to move and use his FH when the LH pip player chopblocks his LP to his BH. It is difficult to do a decent BH loop with such heavy underspin chopblock so he must return the ball with a weak return then the lefty can kill the ball with a vicious FH. So, he now switches to short pips on his BH in order to be able to flick the ball to the lefty BH and controls him so he can move and use his FH more effective. Now he wins more than loses to this particular player. However, it is a different story if he plays a normal inverted (both sides) player with his SP on BH. The story tells us clearly that everyone's experience is quite unique. It is indeed stupid to force own experience on others and insists that own experience is superior to others.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
SJan, you need to stick to one profile. If you come up with another, I will just make all of them disappear.

You also need to stop Hijacking threads where people are asking equipment questions and turning them into fiascos about your opinions.

Post all the information on what you think that you would like. But every thread started by someone asking honestly about equipment changes seems to get you derailing the thread and presenting your own agenda. Post your own agenda in the context of it being your own agenda. But not in threads like this where you have taken the subject matter so far from the OP's question that he is probably wondering why he bothered to post in the forum.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I’m not saying you’re “trolling aimlessly”. What I’m saying is that your spreadsheet and your argument isn’t really what you claim it to be. You present things as if they are objective facts that apply universally, but in reality everything you are presenting is your own subjective opinion based purely on your own personal experiences. That doesn’t invalidate your own experiences, of course, but it’s wrong to try and pass off those subjective opinions and experiences as if they are universal facts that would apply equally to all players.

As fac as weakside short pips goes , chickens (short pips) can fly a little, doves (medium pips) can fly a little higher and bar-headed geese (LARC long pips) can fly much higher but Ruppell’s vulture (High Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips) can soar the highest in terms of back spin, spin variations, dynamic range by itself or combined with spinny inverted on the other side of the racket & overall effectiveness

You can dispute this al you want & this is a universal objective fact that applies equally any player. This is an universal as spinny inverted being capable of generating the most spin on it s own. Only long pips provide spin amplification (I am not talking about spin removal or spin retention or spin reversal etc) . That is an objective universal fact
Long pips on the ITTF LARC are absolutely worthless in the 40+ plastic ball era. That is a universal fact.
Short pips do not have the spin variations or dynamic range of long pips in the hands of an amateur. That is a universal objective fact.
I admitted that there may be rare exceptions but you harassed me for first suggesting that it was 100% and then change it to 99%
Players play for different objectives. If you are just playing for fun & exercise or EJing it does not matter. Enjoy yourselves.
But don’t call yourselves a competitive player and use the playing for fun excuse whenever you lose that is a big problem
As far as I am concerned & as I stated on my long experience using short pips on weakside as a competitive player is an absolute waste of time for almost all amateur players or even most high level players.
And a short pips / spinny inverted combo racket is a complate joke compared to a long pips / spinny inverted combo racket in the hands of an amatuer in terms of overall effectiveness.
I am the first one to admit or suggsst that every single player is unique in tabletennis but a large number of players are wasting their life away listening to bad advice or falling for manufacturer's marketing gimmicks or pro player groupie worship. Players can still be very unique with the parameters I propose as the best & only overall solutions in terms of being the best competitive player you can be (not a fun / exercise player)

Last edited:
Reactions: merlin el mago
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
SJan, you need to stick to one profile. If you come up with another, I will just make all of them disappear.

You also need to stop Hijacking threads where people are asking equipment questions and turning them into fiascos about your opinions.

Post all the information on what you think that you would like. But every thread started by someone asking honestly about equipment changes seems to get you derailing the thread and presenting your own agenda. Post your own agenda in the context of it being your own agenda. But not in threads like this where you have taken the subject matter so far from the OP's question that he is probably wondering why he bothered to post in the forum.
Ok Thanks.
I am actually trying to not post at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Experience?

Isn't a forum the place to share experiences?

Yes, it is. But insisting my experience is better than yours is defensively ignorant! Just share experience and let people decide to make life easier for us. This sentence is clearly NOT an experience, "Mima Ito herself is using the wrong rubber." It is a stupid statement!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

You make a lot of assertions about things being universal facts, but facts don't become facts simply because someone claims they're a fact. You actually need to provide evidence to support the assertion!!!

Let's take just one of your assertions and see if you can provide any actual evidence to back it up. You claim that:"Long pips on the ITTF LARC are absolutely worthless in the 40+ plastic ball era. That is a universal fact".

OK, so what evidence do you have to support the assertion that Long pips on the ITTF LARC are "absolutely worthless" in the 40+ plastic ball era? This is a truly incredible claim to make, because you're not merely saying that the approved long pips are less effective in 40+ plastic ball era, you're actually saying they are absolutely worthless. To make such an incredible claim you must have some incredibly detailed and sophisticated evidence to provide in support of that claim. Over to you...

Sorry I am not going in circles again & again.
I have explained 3 or 4 times why & I am not going to keep rehashing the same explanation again & again.
For those who do not understand , I cannot say much.
For those who understand but want to continue arguing for other reasons, I am not going to.
As I said before, YOU WIN I am wrong you looped me down. Everyone start using short pips on weakside or ITTF LARC long pips and it is not a waste of time.
Listen to ITTF & listen to Stuart . They know what is best for you.
Bye

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

"Mima Ito herself is using the wrong rubber." It is a stupid statement!

I agree . I was not very clear on this.
I see how it can be completely misinterpreted

I meant to say

Mima ito is using the wrong rubber
Hou Yingcchao is using the wrong rubber.
The GOAT of tabletennis Joo Sae Hyuk used many wrong rubbers

Koji Matsushita used the piece of crap Feint Long 2 & then now suggesting you use even bigger garbage Victas P1V etc
Matthew Syed was the only chopper to openly oppose the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio massacre but continued to use piece of crap Fient Long 2
Kim Kyang Ah used many wrong rubbers
Park Mi Young used many wrong rubbers
Han Ying is using the wrong rubber

Chen Weixing used many wrong rubbers
Viktoria Pavlovich used many wrong rubbers

Linda Bergstrom is using the wrong rubber
Suh Hyowon is using the wrong rubber
Tetyana Bilenko is using the wrong rubber

Haruna Ojio is using the wrong rubber
Honoka Hashimoto is using the wrong rubber
Hitomi Sato is using the wrong rubber
Ruwen Filus is using the wrong rubber
Wang Yang is using the wrong rubber
Gionis Panagiotis is using the wrong rubber
Joanna Parker Drinkall is using the wrong rubber
Irene Ivancan is using the wrong rubber

Derek May is using the wrong rubber
Kewei Li is using the wrong rubber
Angela Guan is using the wrong rubber
Earl James Alto is using the wrong rubber

When she was on the USA team then, a frustrated Virginia Sung (USATT CEO now) used the wrong rubber for a while after losing to someone I know 2 straight at NTTC in Rockville,MD while using the right rubber

About 45 of the top 100 women on TTFI ranking list including Manika Batra & Sreeja Akula, Suthirtha Mukherjee Ayhika Mukherjee etc are using the wrong rubbers

Ding Song may not have used the wrong rubber
Norio Takashima may not have used the wrong rubber
Eberhard Scholer may not have used the wrong rubber
Zoltan Berczik Norio may not have used the wrong rubber

And a bunch of others I missed

And last but not the least...............drumroll please
Deng Yaping used the right rubbers

I apologize if I was not very clear.
My bad
Sorry about that

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

write down which ITTF authorised rubber(s) they should have used or should be using? *

Stuart,
You are truly amazing.
You busted me yet again.
Yes I am totally off base & totally out of line.
Yes you are correct. I agree with you 200%
ITTF knows what is good for the sport
ITTF knows what is in the best interests of the pips players.
ITTF loves diversity in sport & that is the ONLY reason why they have not banned pips
ITTF loves choppers and long rallies to promote spectator interests & eliminate all 3rd ball attacks
ITTF has always passed rules & regulations since 1983 strcitly based on technical merits in the best interests of the sport and not two winged loopers. Absolutely no politics involved .
ITTF has always maintained a level & fair playing field ONLY in the interests of long rallies & promoting the sport & NOT for two winged loopers.
ITTF strictly enforces zero toerance for boosters & speed-glues in the best iinterests of health of players & seconfhand effects on spectators. And you really want to get into chemical inspection vs visual inspection of rackets ? REALLY ?

So yes please everyone, listen to Stuart & listen to ITTF . They know what is best for you.
They care about your health. .
Use only long pips on ITTF LARC. They are the best for you in the 40+ plastic ball era
Or even better, use ONLY short pips on your weakside (backhand)

Yes Stuart. you win again. You looped me down.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Short_Pimple
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I've never posted anything in support of the ITTF and have never made any comment (supporting or otherwise) as to what the real "agenda" of the ITTF and their rules changes might be. I know very little about the politics of table tennis; it simply doesn't interest me all that much. However, the fact remains that the ITTF are the governing body of table tennis, and they are the ones that make the rules and decide what rubbers are authorised and therefore legal to use. If players want to play any sort of competitive/sanctioned table tennis, then they need to be using rubbers that are actually legal to use. If you are advising players to use rubbers that are not on the current list of authorised rubbers, then in my opinion that is very poor advice...and that is still poor advice irrespective of whether those rubbers might actually work better for them.

Agree 200%. Let ITTF keep making rules & regulations any which way they like but all pips players obey them.......................while two winged loopers enjoy their speed glues & boosters withot worrying about the health of their families or second-hand effects on families , fellow players & spectators. )Just make up some fake rules & regulations about glue / boosters but don't really enforce them at all at lower levels................because the health of a lower level players is not all important) But let two winged loopers make a big noise about the few pips treating cheats when there exists about 500 or 1000 glue cheats for each pips treating cheat. (I know I know what your next reply will be......do you have proof, do youhave exact numbers & names of these cheats etc etc) Don't worry at all about a fair & level playing field Don't worry about longer ralles for spectators to promote the sport.. Yes indeed........ ITTF knows what is best for pips players. ITTF loves diversity in the sport. ITTF loves pips players...especially choppers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

None of this has anything to do with what I said. Once again, I'm not commenting on the rights or wrongs of the rules that the ITTF have put in place...I'm simply pointing out that they are the ones that make the rules, and therefore they determine what rubbers are legal and what rubbers are not. You obviously have a strong anti-ITTF agenda and disagree with many of the rules they have implemented, and that's fair enough...but you shouldn't let that hatred of the ITTF and their rules creep into the advice you give to table tennis players. To advise players to use illegal rubbers just because you think they should still be legal is just bad form.

What do you want from me ? I agree with you 200% . Yes, all pips players must obey & worship the ITTF . ITTF knows what is good for pips players
I apologized for being wrong & giving bad adivce to pips players.
You win. . I am wrong.
How many times do you want me to agree with you ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I accept your apology and acknowledgement that you are giving bad advice...

Thanks . I am humbled. After fighting 25 years of what I thought of as ITTF's corruption, you have suddenly opened my eyes in a few weeks & I have found the booster Gods & I have achieved pips nirvana

..but I wonder how long it will be before you are repeating this bad advice in a different discussion under yet another username?!?

I plead a pre-emptive not guilty. The secondhand effects speed-glues & boosters have effected my brain since 1995. I cannot control myself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Playing short pips is awsome if you like to flat hit or smash or push. I've used it on a faster blade for a few years and I really like. But I also like to loop with my BH which aren't that good with short pips.
I've used friendship 80-40 in 1.6mm and the control is awsome and also has enough punch to hit hard flat hits and surprise the opponent.
But don't use a more flexible blade. Choose something stiffer if your gonna use short pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Why not try something like a more soft, linear and less grippy rubber for your backhand than Rakza 7? As you say you are at beginner level, I suppose you've played for 1-3 years or so? It takes time to develop a good backhand :)

Take a look at some light weight rubbers like 729 Focus III Snipe, Palio AK47 Blue or perhaps Pimplepark Epos which is a bit more grippy of course.