Reglue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
You can reglue the rubber after removing it from the old blade. Depending on the thickness of the glue layer you could possible have more catapult or a mushy feeling after regluing. You can remove the glue layer from the rubber softly be rubbing with your fingers (takes time) or put another layer of thicker latex glue on it, let it dry and peel it off as one with the old glue layer after it has hardened.

When You strip the rubber do it from side to side (agaist the grain) NOT from top to bottom. The fibres on the top layer runs top - bottom and wood is stronger against the grain than with the grain.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: jk1980
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
To remove rubber from blade follow what Lazer said, from side to side,
To remove glue from sponge use Indoor Pure Bright Lamp Oil.
Take small piece of kitchen sponge, put few drops of oil on it and go over glue, make sure you don't go over topsheet.
Leave it for 5-10 min and you'll be able to remove glue with your fingers without damaging the sponge.
After glue is removed wait few hours so oil can evaporate and you're ready to re-glue.
Make sure you go with pure bright oil, not cintronella.

Here is link, 1L will provide you enough for a life time.

Barrenttine H9119 Pure Bright Lamp Oil 1 ltr : Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
To remove rubber from blade follow what Lazer said, from side to side,
To remove glue from sponge use Indoor Pure Bright Lamp Oil.
Take small piece of kitchen sponge, put few drops of oil on it and go over glue, make sure you don't go over topsheet.
Leave it for 5-10 min and you'll be able to remove glue with your fingers without damaging the sponge.
After glue is removed wait few hours so oil can evaporate and you're ready to re-glue.
Make sure you go with pure bright oil, not cintronella.

Here is link, 1L will provide you enough for a life time.

Barrenttine H9119 Pure Bright Lamp Oil 1 ltr : Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

perhaps mention that this oil is dangerous for kids to even breathe the fume of that oil and can be toxic. I would not want that stuff inside my house if i got kids, but YMMV

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Any ideas about how can I remove the old glue without damaging the blade or the sponge of the rubber? Or is it a problem if I don't remove the old glue when reglueing?

TL;DR version, since you don't know you probably shouldn't try to peel the old glue from the sponge unless you have some throw away rubbers you can practice on first.

Long version

There are some videos on youtube how to peel old glue from the sponge of the rubber. It depends on what glue you used in the first place. Revolution no3 and DHS no15 glues can be peeled very nicely without damaging your sponge. Other glues probably will damage the sponge.

The lamp oil trick might work with other glues but I'm not sure if it alters the rubber or not in any permanent way. It would make your racket illegal after use until all the VOCs evaporate. But this is only checked on high level normally it doesn't matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I You can reglue without removing the old glue. I did it often and i can't tell the difference. It will just add a few grams to your racket.

If the glue layer is uniform on the sponge i just put glue on the blade and install the rubber. Work very well and never had a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamTheMan
I You can reglue without removing the old glue. I did it often and i can't tell the difference. It will just add a few grams to your racket.

If the glue layer is uniform on the sponge i just put glue on the blade and install the rubber. Work very well and never had a problem.
I can certainly tell the difference and II don't have the energy to remove old glue. So I never reuse old rubbers due to this reason.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Assuming you are talking about regular latex based table tennis glue and not some permanent bond glue used on premade bats, you can use a natural rubber block usually called rubber cement eraser to rub the glue out from the blade and the sponge. I tend to always remove old glue so it does not build up or compromise the bond or make the surface uneven.

If you are referring to to premade bat permanent glue, may your chosen deity have mercy on you and use a heat gun and rubber cement eraser and forget about saving the rubber.

• Haha
Reactions: fzambetta and lodro