Modern Defense Set Up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello,

i tried playing an attacking looping style but i dont have fun anymore of it.
I play in a low class with 1240 TTR Points in germany.

My goal is fun and modern defence. Now my set up is Stiga Defensive Pro with Bluestorm Z3 in 1.9mm in blue and an normal Tibhar Grass Def in 1.0mm in black.
Do you think this set up is good for modern defence to learn?
I play table tennis for 13 years now.

And i know i low classes the players dont top spin that much but yeah i can attack on both sides with top spin, so if i have to i can attack.

says Feel the ball first.
says Feel the ball first.
Oct 2022
I usually play against a very good modern defender, he is like n.1000 in Italy. He plays with butterfly petr korbel, fh tenergy 05 1.9mm, bh Ilius S 1.1mm. He can play heavy fh top spins from distance and sometimes he attacks 3rd ball both fh and bh. He also used Z1 1.9mm on fh with good results. Hope this helps 😊

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I dont want to start a new thread so i wrote here xD

I want finally to stay on modern defence.
The problem is still i play in a low class.

So i was thinking about the victas koji defensive as a new defence blade without carbon.

My thought is i need a forehand rubber with which i can generate a lot of spin, so my opponent need to topspin or push and he cant smash.
Would be a Andro Gtt45 be good or better a victas vs 401 and what sponge thickness? I still need to play topspin and twiddle.

As long pips i am stil unsure but i thinking about the Curl P1R in maybe 1.0mm or would this be to hard to play and i should use a more controlled long pip that is easier to chop with, but than which one?
I need control more than speed.

I hope you can help me :)

Or as a blade the lion defence instead?
i am unsure.

Edit2: Or the vega intro in maybe 1.8mm?

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi LittleSeki

for your 1st LP, why not try something made by Yinhe or DHS? They make some decent MP and LP’s at a much cheaper price!!
I put a couple of bats together just for coaching, so we can try and use LP’s, so the players can get some experience playing against LP’s
For the price of one sheet of Curl you are likely to be able to get 2 sheets of a Yinhe or DHS rubber, you could choose a couple of different types and see which you prefer.

As for blades, I have used a couple of defensive blades STIGA DEF PRO and Nittaku Resist 2
the Def Pro is faster than the Resist 2 but still has great control.
Currently I use defensive rated blades made by SDC but with inverted rubbers.

You can also use defensive inverted rubbers on BH, especially if you are chopping, or even SP’s

If it’s the LP ‘effect’ you want then there are rubbers suited more for bumping / blocking or more for chopping.

I would really go for finding cheaper rubber options that are suited to the different type of defensive styles and try them, yeah a little more hassle involved swapping rubbers but it maybe we’ll worth the effort!!
Hopefully some LP users will jump on this thread who have more experience with LP rubbers than I do!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I played with 755 for 2 years.And now i want a upgrade and a new blade, without carbon

one site i want a long pip

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi LittleSeki

for your 1st LP, why not try something made by Yinhe or DHS? They make some decent MP and LP’s at a much cheaper price!!
I put a couple of bats together just for coaching, so we can try and use LP’s, so the players can get some experience playing against LP’s
For the price of one sheet of Curl you are likely to be able to get 2 sheets of a Yinhe or DHS rubber, you could choose a couple of different types and see which you prefer.

As for blades, I have used a couple of defensive blades STIGA DEF PRO and Nittaku Resist 2
the Def Pro is faster than the Resist 2 but still has great control.
Currently I use defensive rated blades made by SDC but with inverted rubbers.

You can also use defensive inverted rubbers on BH, especially if you are chopping, or even SP’s

If it’s the LP ‘effect’ you want then there are rubbers suited more for bumping / blocking or more for chopping.

I would really go for finding cheaper rubber options that are suited to the different type of defensive styles and try them, yeah a little more hassle involved swapping rubbers but it maybe we’ll worth the effort!!
Hopefully some LP users will jump on this thread who have more experience with LP rubbers than I do!!
I recently put together a LP setup with Yinhe's Neptune rubber for less than $7. I don't have a ton of LP experience, but it seems really good to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I have a Stiga Cybershape Carbon at home, would this be okay for modern defence?
Which long pips would be good on it?
A controlled one like Feint long 2 or better a P1R? and what spongesize 0.5 or 1.0mm or even an ox rubber, with more close to the table play and only sometimes chopping?
Offensive should it be good enough of course.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
One coach at my club, who is a B Licence Trainier, which is the second highest in germany, suggestet me a obersized defensive blade and i should use a 0,5mm spong long pip and a 1,0mm forehand rubber.
He said in the lowest class there is no modern defence and i should go over safty.

So now i guess, a Victas Koji Def with a tibhar superdefence 40 in 1.0mm or a tackiness c in 1.0 and on the backhand a feint long 3 in 0,5 or a donic spike p1 in 0,5 what woulf you suggest?
and would be a diode v also good for classic defense? i guess not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Masato Shiono interview (extract from OOAK):

"- What sponge thickness do you use with your long pimples?

Shiono: I use the thinnest, 0.5mm sponge.

- Why do most modern defenders use a thick sponge under their long pimples? Why do you play with a thinner sponge? How can you vary the spin so well with it?

Shiono: Really! I did not know that modern defenders using thick sponge, sorry, haha.
I want to ask them who can dampen down the ball with a thick sponge. Close to the table, pushing makes more spin with a thick sponge but I feel that the thinnest sponge can make maximum spin when chopping far from the table. Also, control is most important for me. I think stability is the most important thing for a defensive player. That's why I like a thin sponge. Also I like this dampening effect provided by the thinnest sponge.

Donic Japan: Traditionally, many Japanese coach suggest thin sponge for chopper. Thick sponge is considered to be less optimal for progress. In the Japanese market, thinnest sponge is still best sold"

Thin sponge for forehand can be tricky to attack with, especially for topspin. I'd suggest your actual fh rubber, glue it to your new defensive blade. It will feel already slower with a slow blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Okay, thank you this help with the long pips, but blade i am still unsure if i should use jsh/diode or koji def xD
and forehand rubber i guess vega intro is a good choice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020

Vega Intro is a good choice. It's a forgiving rubber, not too fast with control. I'm sure you can chop with it on the forehand if you want to.

For the blade, I never tried the Koji def, but for the JSH/Diode they are fast and stiff. Not very forgiving when chopping, you need to be focused on every chop otherwise the ball can easily catch the net/land 1 meter away from the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Okay, thank you.
So i guess something slower like the victas koji normal or def are better than the jsh blade, but the handle of the jsh was so nice after i had it in my hands, i dont know about the victas blades

EDIT:
I see you use the Goriki Danshi, i thought about this blade as well but is so expensive xD

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Goriki Danshi is a one of a kind blade. A lot of gear, great dampening effect but a lot of power if you commit to your shot. Flexible but hard, for me it's an amazing control blade good at everything. If you like heavy setup (190-200g total with a lp on bh) you can't find something better in the market

Out of curiosity, what did you bought at the end ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Most popular defensive blade is Donic Defplay Senso V3
For long pips I recommend OX
Ive been playing with all 3 blades, most recommended on this thread - Donic Defplay Senso V3, Victas Koji Matsushita Off, and Stiga Defense Pro. Of these three, Stiga Defense Pro is my least favourite, and I cannot decide which I like better, between the Defplay and the VKMO. Defplay is more springy, and a delight to loop with, on the FH side... VKMO is faster, stiffer, and comparatively more linear. I twiddle, and hit/jab with the inverted side on the BH, for which I prefer the VKMO to the Defplay.

Yinhe Neptune, or Dawei 388D-1 are good, allround, inexpensive Long Pips.

As for inverted rubber, checkout Sponsors Marder, Friendship 729gx Blue sponge, or even DHS Hurricane 3, in 1.7 or 1.9mm

Reactions: jammmail