Help on new rubbers

This user has no status.
Hi everyone,

After a 11 year hiatus I started playing again back in March. I started off with my old blade (Butterfly Bryce FX on a Butterfly Timo Boll OFF frame) but the frame had cracked, so in september I purchased a new blade.

I was looking for more control and got advised to take Rozena's and paired it with a Petr Korbel frame. I am however still lacking the control, I feel it has decreased in the short game, but gained a little when attacking compared to my old blade.

I'm looking into getting new rubbers (possibly a full blade, to sell this one as it's hardly used) and through my own research I landed on Yasaka Rakza Z rubbers. I am a local level player and getting back into competion. My technique is on a beginner going intermediate level, but I am eager to improve. I play active and like to attack and set-up attacks for myself.

My question to you all would be, would the Rakza Z's be a too advanced rubber for me, or would I be able to handle them? I am doubting that my lack of technique would hinder me with the Rakza Z's and that I would be better off improving on Rakza 7's for the first while.

Would like your input!

Dennis

Last edited:
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Rakza Z will be harder, slower and steadier with higher grip than Rozena. Control-wise it is considerably less bouncy with a safe high arc off the rubber but generating penetrating speed will be a bit more difficult without a solid swing. I think R7 and RZ are both control oriented rubbers that serve different purposes, RZ is made for a control loop game and R7 is for a control drive game, but since you are coming from Bryce FX you may feel more comfortable with Rakza7 Soft.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Rakza Z will be harder, slower and steadier with higher grip than Rozena. Control-wise it is considerably less bouncy with a safe high arc off the rubber but generating penetrating speed will be a bit more difficult without a solid swing. I think R7 and RZ are both control oriented rubbers that serve different purposes, RZ is made for a control loop game and R7 is for a control drive game, but since you are coming from Bryce FX you may feel more comfortable with Rakza7 Soft.

Thank you for your insight!
I was considering going with Rakza 7 Soft for my backhand, for the extra control. My backhand is not really a weapon of mine, but I need to be able to rely on it in the short game and the occasional open up.

I'm still debating my forehand choice, especially reading into Rakza X (Soft) aswell. I'm hoping to go to a local supplier soon to have a feel with all the options.

Anyone heard anything about Rakza Z going out of production? One supplier here can't get it anymore due to it, while the other says to have it back in stock soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I dont think Rakza Z is going out of production no but you should seriously consider getting something easier to learn again with and IMO rakza 7 is a bit fast for a returning player, a lot of players at my club are using mark V, and they are seriously improving. for the forehand, i don't reccomend a soft rubber, as for me they feel abit dead of the table and aren't able to block as well. For forehand i would reccomend H3 just a commercial or provincial one will do. Very good for learning as they have heaps of control

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Rakza Z is a decent rubber, it has high (ish) throw angle for top spin stroke so this helps when playing top spin v backspin. the opposite for pushing v back spin, it takes a bit of getting used to, you have to open the blade more when pushing v back spin.
If you do go for Rakza Z, go for the extra hard version on FH and normal on BH.
Another good option could be H8-80 38 degree for FH and 37 degree BH