Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
This is my one thread. And it is a graveyard.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well there you have it. Anybody on the forum planning on entering the US Open? James will pay $5000 and send you the rubber he would like you to use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The WTT has killed the game. This supposed to be high level international event is damn low, the best ranked players are only Kou Lei and Lilly Zhang ? that's not how USATT should develop TT on its soil, inviting a major international player to pay with LP only is quite stupid too, and for only 5000 quids ? it's not even what Linda Bergstrom earns from her sponsors... plus, it's for a stupid reason too.

USATT has only 2 alternatives:
- making it an invitational tournament in the Major Open draw for pros, paying bonuses for top 10 or top 20 players to come and play it as an exhibition tournament as it's been done in Lille, and allowing the semi finalists of the lower ranked draw to enter that pro draw.
- transitioning to WTT standards so that this tournament gives points for the ITTF rankings, kind of 2 weeks WTT Contender + Star Contender, if Tunisia can do it, USA can do it too right ? it's quite abnormal to have been able to host the major tournament of the world in Houston last year succesfully (the organisation was very professional indeed, high standards) and not being able to host at least an international open with those same standards of perfection.

In France they're now transitioning to the WTT standards to host major WTT events, yes for sure Hennebont has put insane money on the table to hire Kristian Karlsson and Chuang Chi Yuan for the pro A team and to build one of the biggest TT training center/competition arena in the world, but unfortunately this is how you enter the WTT business now, there's no alternative :
https://www.ittf.com/2022/09/21/fra...ed-host-2022-ittf-world-hopes-week-challenge/

https://pingcenter-gvhtt.com/en

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Before the "1998 massacre" most of the choppers or blockers were using the CURL P1, it was because of the Curl LP aspect and, most of it all, those LP kind of slippery surface like an antispin rubber that the ITTF had to do something: it was impossible to guess the ball's reaction and trajectory, even as a user. Butterfly Feint was kind of Tibhar grass at that time, very consistent and regular compared to the Curl P1. That's why TSP released a Curl P1R, R for "Revised" after 1998. The TSP Curl P1 was way cheaper than the Feint, and way more deceptive.

I already told you but you seem to not understand: it's either you follow the WTT specification, or you build an exhibition/invitational Open with top players, simple as that. Seems you're still living in the 90's, I know, it was fun... I started TT in the late 80's hence my forum name, but things have changed, and you have to face it: the US Open, the Swedish Open, yeah the french Open played mostly in Lyon (I remember that Gatien/Grubba final, it was in 1989 as far as I remember...) are dead. 5000 quids at that time was big money for sure, but now 30 years later you only offer that... and what about the accomodation ? I mean here: plane, hotel, 5000 bucks is not enough at all for people like Linda Bergstrom.

The reason: starting a war with the ITTF and WTT is not serious, to me a guy who offers only 5000 bucks to a seasoned pro would be regarded as a clown by Liu GuoLiang or Petra Sörling, spending his time on a TT forum, dude... you're simply not... serious, you're a joke, please make yourself a favor for your own mental health: move on, because it looks like acute mythomania...

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
By the way.......
I have a friend Penhold U2100 USATT player, using Long Pips on Forehand. YES, Penhold with LONG Pips FH 😂 annoying a bunch of players with his style.
2 years ago in the US NATIONALS, a guy was upset of him and walk straight to the referee's area and complaining "asking" for his paddle.
And the Long Pip was in the list for approved stuff by ITTF.
I was wondering 🤔 if that PIPs was legal or not 😂, but everything was fine. He crushed the complainer 👊 😆

Butttttttt, what if a player decide to accept your challenge and your Pips is not in the list of approved stuff?
You don't want to ruin the performance for a player in a big tournament, right?
If you pay me 100K, I don't waste my time trying something is not approved. I always challenge myself to be a better player.
And of course, use legal stuff and be a gentleman during the match "NOT Cheating".
Last one, I will not use something to take advantage of the other players. I like to use the similar stuff like others, but playing with intelligence, tactics and playing what I learned from the training sessions.

Ufff, too long post. Sorry guys.
And seriously, no one can take your offer and risk their performance in a tournament.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

OK. I get what you're saying now, and I definitely do see a lot of the same things here at my club. There are inverted players who hate long pips. I remember the first time I played against a long pip player. I lost in straight sets. Then I went home and studied every single piece of information about long pips that was available online. Next time I played, I did much better against that player. Overall, i've lost to a lot of long pip players, but I've also won a lot of my matches against long pip players.

I think it's silly to complain about a person's equipment, especially if its legal and allowed in the sport. There is ALWAYS going to be someone better than you. If you can't beat the long pip player, a more superior player would. and so on and so on. People need to focus on their own game. If you lose a match, reflect on what you did poorly, and work on that in practice. Complaining about others does nothing to improve your own standing in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: merlin el mago
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is not entirely unique to TT but it does take on a particular form with the vast variety of blade and covering types and all the cool things you can do to change the properties of rubber from very grippy, to very slippery. Add to it that with bendable long pips, you can theoretically make the long pips grippy on the sides and slippery on the end of the pips so that you get a different response with deeper contact where the pips bend.

Always, the answer is, when someone can beat you consistently, they must be doing something that you are not reading, understanding, or able to handle. But, for many, it is easier to blame the other person's equipment than to own their own shortcomings. And perhaps it is true that TT attracts more of this kind than other sports.

My favorite training partner ever was an older guy who played LP and was exceptionally good at twiddling. I learned so much from training with him and we would laugh and laugh at how often he would trick me and get me to mess up because I did not read what he did correctly.

Reactions: H3R0
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
As of now I am having so much trouble handling the existing LARC approved long-pips / short-pips and whatchamacallit pips rubber. I shudder to think how will I play againts those whatchamacallit aspecty-ratio thingy comes back to life again. I'll probably quit and play pickle-ball instead. Me no liek no aspecterky-ratio thingamagik stuff. Keep it Simple!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As of now I am having so much trouble handling the existing LARC approved long-pips / short-pips and whatchamacallit pips rubber. I shudder to think how will I play againts those whatchamacallit aspecty-ratio thingy comes back to life again. I'll probably quit and play pickle-ball instead. Me no liek no aspecterky-ratio thingamagik stuff. Keep it Simple!
Practicing against LP and learning to play against them is probably what would cause you to improve the fastest. If you really actually wanted to improve, you would want to play vs LP as much as possible and you would look to find someone who uses LP who will train with you.

This is the fastest way to improve your skill at ready spin because it forces you to watch the ball and learn to read spin.

Reactions: H3R0
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Players who really know how to use LP and how different depth of contact changes what they do with the ball, it is an art form.

For someone playing against that, the real thing is to take it as a learning experience and learn how to watch the ball better and read the spin better. Anyone who is complaining about what someone else is using as equipment is not realizing they need to learn to improve and watch the ball better and read the spin from the trajectory and arc of the ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

One of the fundamental requirements of long pips as compared to short pips is that they must be flexible to some level. . Why ? Because the ability for the pips to bend to retain and store the energy of the incoming (top) spin and then release it like a sling shot makes long pips the ONLY rubber capable of spin "amplification". But most newbies who are obsessed with Hou Yingchao etc. do not understand this basic difference between long and short pips, among many other critical factors.
So from the traditional old school classical standpoint, short pips are short & stiff & long pips are long(er) and flexible. But there are about 7 or 8
sake of marketing (gimmicks).. These players do not understand the fundamental limitations set by ITTF which render short pips worthless if you expect the spin or versatility of long pips.

hi James
I was one of the early users of LP back in late 70 early 80’s. I am afraid i disagree with what you state as the reason for strong spin with LP. in fact we found that when the pimples bent back this created less spin except in the case of power shots where the long pips would be momentarily squashed against the blade, making for more friction. When attackers made a light roll shot against LP this would just make for a junk return. On the other hand if attacker made a big spin drive then he would get strong chop back (his own spin). To avoid the heavy chop, attacker must roll lightly untill the chance to make a winner. In the push vs push situation when the inverted pushes with heavy chop the bendy lps return this as slight topspin (again his own spin)even though the racket angle is open.

as far as the modern medium and short pips are concerned there have been some very interesting variation. Attack8 as used by fukuhara has a a relatively short wide pimple of very soft high friction rubber which enables subtle variation of speed and spin by a skilled exponent. Its certainly not gimmicky
If i was to change from my standard sp, attack8 is something I would consider

Last edited: