Top 10 Best Backhand Rubbers of All Time

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
I read an article on PingSunday about the subject.

He recommended a bouncy, offensive and fast rubber with a hardness of around 41 to 50 or medium-hard. The thickness is between 2.0 to 2.2 mm. The hardness is generally 2 points lower than the FH.

He suggested a list:
  1. Tenergy 05
  2. Dignics 05
  3. Tenergy 64
  4. MX-P
  5. Fastarc G-1
  6. DHS Hurricane 3 H38
  7. Joola Rhyzm-P
  8. Rakza Z
  9. Vega Europe
  10. Bluefire M-2
What do you think of the writer's list?

It seems like newer or improving players have to spend a lot of money and try a lot of rubbers before they can decide which one will work best for them.

You can read the full article here.

I take his advice with a grain of salt. The only one I agree on is Vega Europe…

Since most people can not hit hard on backhand a softer rubber on backhand is better. Tenergy 05 FX would be a good choice too.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think he is talking about rubbers for pro players. Modern game is hitting hard with both sides so pros will use hard rubbers on BH too.

For a beginner or even intermediate player those rubbers might not be well suited at all.

Reactions: z0uLess and Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Most of the rubbers in this list are too hard for beginners, medium-hard rubbers are best for BH I agree but only if you know how to hit hard or BH counter loop. Softer rubbers like Rakza 7 soft will suit most people
Good day to you sir,

What is the softness of Rakza 7 soft, 37 degrees or 38 degrees sponge ?

Thank you,
Best regards

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

He recommended a bouncy, offensive and fast rubber with a hardness of around 41 to 50 or medium-hard. The thickness is between 2.0 to 2.2 mm. The hardness is generally 2 points lower than the FH.

He suggested a list:
  1. Tenergy 05
  2. Dignics 05
  3. Tenergy 64
  4. MX-P
  5. Fastarc G-1
  6. DHS Hurricane 3 H38
  7. Joola Rhyzm-P
  8. Rakza Z
  9. Vega Europe
  10. Bluefire M-2

It seems like newer or improving players have to spend a lot of money and try a lot of rubbers before they can decide which one will work best for them.

I do follow his recommendation and so far so good for me. His recommendation is mainly for modern two wing offensive play-style with shakehand grip. If you wishes to play pimple or defensive style or short-pimple blocking style, then look elsewhere.

Reactions: job59 and Kopp
Good day to you sir,

What is the softness of Rakza 7 soft, 37 degrees or 38 degrees sponge ?

Thank you,
Best regards

Rakza 7 soft is ~40 Shore 0. (~30 Shore A)
Rakza 7 is ~45 Shore 0. (~35 Shora A)

Reactions: Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
This thread clearly demonstrets the general mode of thinking in table tennis community (well using the term loosely & being nice) when it comes to thinking about weakside rubbers & it is assumed that it must be only a spinny inverted rubber whereas most of these players may be totally incompatible with spinny inverted rubbers on their backhand. So this thread is another example of asking the wrong question and getting the right answers based on the wrong assumption the question itself is valid because most of these players should not even be using spinny inverted on their weakside but should be using long pips.
What I noticed about the PingSunday site is that he is also of the mindset that spinny inverted is the "normal" rubber as he uses the phrase often in his site. to refer to inverted.
Except in very rare cases, given the 40+ plastic ball I don't even have 10 rubbers because there is not even a single chopping rubber available for weakside use for the 40+ plastic ball era. The closest one that comes is Magic 77 but this is more of an all around rubber & currently also best chopping rubber available for the 40+ plastic ball era at the moment
But if you are a blocking type close to the table player especially an older player, you may want to use Avalox Mo or Globe Mo Wang 3 or possibly Reach C801.
There are a whole bunch of high aspect ratio super long pips rubbers available from Indonesia and some of them be even better but it is next to impossible to get them outside Indonesia. There is a huge business opportunity for a manufacturer like a country in in India or some countries in Europe where there are not many crazy business or political restrictions to manufacture these high aspect ratio super long pips similar to those made in Indonesia. I heard that all TT academies India use long pips as a de facto standard for female students in the footsteps of Manika Batra (& Sreeja Akula & supposedly 40 players in top 100 India ranking list where Manika Batra now is at #34 she was World #44 before Asin Cup LOL) . But still it is considered shameful in India for a real man to use long pips, as is the case in few other entire countries. More more tournaments worldwide are also getting to be tournaments not sanctioned by ITTF & so this is a great business opportunity . This is all the more true for verteras tournaments where most veterans would love to be able to use pre-2008-Frictionless Pips ban rubbers
Ideally I would also like to see Dr.Neubauer to start a shell corporation and flood the European market with high aspect ratio super long pips as a payback for all the abuse he has taken from ITTF with rule / regulation changes. Then his current competitors like DMS & SpinLord may have no choice but to follow LOL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

What do I think of the writers list? I think the writer forgot about the fact that there's more than one way to play table tennis. That might be the top ten for a 2-winged looping style of play, but I bet none of those rubbers would make the top ten if the list was being put together by a defender or modern defender.

Is that is not what I said in post #13 (an hour before your post #14 , maybe you did not want to read my post ) ? LOL
I cannot just believe you agree with me. 😬

Nov 2022

What do I think of the writers list? I think the writer forgot about the fact that there's more than one way to play table tennis. That might be the top ten for a 2-winged looping style of play, but I bet none of those rubbers would make the top ten if the list was being put together by a defender or modern defender.

Absolutely!

Mar 2021

To be fair to him, I will say it is not that the writer forget about other style, but rather he is promoting equipment that commensurate with his own personal playstyle i.e, Two wing offensive shakehand.

p/s I did ask Pingsunday owner what is his personal setup two years ago and he replied he uses a custom shakehand with Stiga Mantra on both side. That was two years ago and I am not sure if he still uses the same setup anymore. He does lurk around here sometimes, maybe if we are lucky, he will answer here.

Reactions: Kopp

He suggested a list:
  1. Tenergy 05
  2. Dignics 05
  3. Tenergy 64
  4. MX-P
  5. Fastarc G-1
  6. DHS Hurricane 3 H38
  7. Joola Rhyzm-P
  8. Rakza Z
  9. Vega Europe
  10. Bluefire M-2

I am USATT 2000 with a very strong FH (Chinese style power looper) and controlled BH. I play with a rotation of Friendship Battle 2/Power Bloom/Hurricane 3 41 on FH and rotate among the top 5 in this list for BH. This guy's is the best advice I have found on the internet as what he says matches exactly with my experience and learning over the years of playing TT (33 years at the time of this writing) and devoutly following the Chinese style. Please note that I have never technically 'followed' his advice in terms of choosing my equipment or technique based on his advice but I say that his advice is very good because what he says in his videos is what I myself have learnt over the years from studying the sport and through actual trial and error. I can tell you that he knows his stuff and is the absolute real deal. I have tried a lot of BH rubbers and I can confirm that the top 5 mentioned in the list are actually the best by far FOR INTERMIDEATE TO ADVANCED players and the order in the list is also spot on. The only rubber missing is probably Dignics 09 C but then it is more suited to FH for most people. For absolute beginners and beginners, a softer rubber like Xiom Vega Europe may be easier to control and to get a feel for the ball. I personally do not like the Rakza series (7, 7 soft and even X) at all as I felt them to be grossly underpowered and mushy but many people like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kopp and Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I am USATT 2000 with a very strong FH (Chinese style power looper) and controlled BH. I play with a rotation of Friendship Battle 2/Power Bloom/Hurricane 3 41 on FH and rotate among the top 5 in this list for BH. This guy's is the best advice I have found on the internet as what he says matches exactly with my experience and learning over the years of playing TT (33 years at the time of this writing) and devoutly following the Chinese style. I can tell you that he knows his stuff and is the absolute real deal. I have tried a lot of BH rubbers and I can confirm that the top 5 mentioned in the list are actually the best by far for intermediate to advanced players and the order in the list is also spot on. For absolute beginners and beginners, a softer rubber like Xiom Vega Europe may be easier to control and to get a feel for the ball. I personally do not like the Rakza series (7, 7 soft and even X) at all as I felt them to be grossly underpowered and mushy but many people like them.
But he left out H3 37 and D09c for bh

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

He suggested a list:
  1. Tenergy 05
  2. Dignics 05
  3. Tenergy 64
  4. MX-P
  5. Fastarc G-1
  6. DHS Hurricane 3 H38
  7. Joola Rhyzm-P
  8. Rakza Z
  9. Vega Europe
  10. Bluefire M-2

Mr. Kopp Sir,

I respectfully say the author of that list of all time great BH rubbers has hiz HEAD stuck up hiz azz REAL DEEP... I would venture to say so deep that it comes out the other end... and is likely an idealist Millennial or younger with no real experience.... or was gulping down sum powerful meds hiz docs been prescribing for years. Maybe also a zombie fanboy too.

Two off the top, and I am NOT a fanboy of BTY are T05FX and Sriver FX for their eras... another one needing to be on this list is Nittaku HAMMOND... simply a pound it vs that incoming underspin and you can generate ur own spin too... add Aurus or Aurus soft to that list... do it all rubber consistent... much like vega but way better in every way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Well. It just depends on how you play the game, and how good your technique and footwork are. Do you play topspins with a big arm movement, mainly the wrist, or are you more of a puncher. Take almost any of the top 50-100 in the world and these rubbers would fit nicely on this list. But there are some more players further down that list that doesn't use the backhand with this superb technique, and the further down this list you get, the more "special needs" players have. I don't know how to say it in a better way, but I guess you understand? :)